Headphones for watching television

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Headphones for watching television

Post by thirdcrank »

I appreciate that this isn't even remotely corrected to cycling but there may be somebody who can help.

Mrs thirdcrank really enjoys television and even more so during the last year. Her hearing is deteriorating which isn't good for TV and subtitles help but have limitations. Recently, the final episode of a serial was dropped after allegation of misconduct but it was on youtube so she was able to watch it on my laptop with earphones and was very pleased. That gave me the idea that headphones might help for our telly more generally.

Has anybody any experience of doing something like this?

The relevant TV has no Bluetooth. It's a Panasonic ( TX-32CS510B FWIW) I've looked at several advertised headphones but I'd like to get it right first time. Whatever I get, it will need to be as faff-free as possible or it won't be used. I don't squander money but the budget isn't a constraint.
Jdsk

Re: Headphones for watching television

Post by Jdsk »

There's a lot of different approaches.

Does that TV have digital audio output?

Is your prime source of content DTT (Freeview) tuned by the TV itself?

Do you have any relevant external audio components... sound bar, amplifier and speakers...

Does she use hearing aids?

I'd start by looking at:

1 a dedicated system such as Sennheiser's:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-II- ... B005SO0OFE

2 a Bluetooth transmitter, eg:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TROND-Bluetoot ... B01B4W40VC
and Bluetooth headphones. NB the importance of low latency.

Jonathan
IanH

Post by IanH »

I recommend the Sennheiser which I have been using for several years.
Their base unit plugs into the "headphone out" socket on most TVs and sends a wireless signal to the headphones. The wearer adjusts the volume as required using the volume control on the headphones. The TV volume can then be adjusted in the usual way by others in the room as required, with no effect on the headphones.
The sound quality is good and the batteries in the headset are AAA rechargeable. I've never run out of juice!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

You can connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the TV audio out socket
https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/best-picks ... V-adapters
Only downside might be the battery will need regular charging
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 9 May 2021, 5:08pm There's a lot of different approaches.

Does that TV have digital audio output?
Yes
Is your prime source of content DTT (Freeview) tuned by the TV itself?
Yes
Do you have any relevant external audio components... sound bar, amplifier and speakers...
The only thing connected to the TV is a Panasonic digital recorder
Does she use hearing aids?
No
...I'd start by looking at:

1 a dedicated system such as Sennheiser's:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-II- ... B005SO0OFE

2 a Bluetooth transmitter, eg:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TROND-Bluetoot ... B01B4W40VC
and Bluetooth headphones. NB the importance of low latency.
I've done that type of research already and ended up confused. Which is why I posted
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You're welcome.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IanH wrote: 9 May 2021, 6:35pm I recommend the Sennheiser which I have been using for several years.
Their base unit plugs into the "headphone out" socket on most TVs and sends a wireless signal to the headphones. The wearer adjusts the volume as required using the volume control on the headphones. The TV volume can then be adjusted in the usual way by others in the room as required, with no effect on the headphones.
The sound quality is good and the batteries in the headset are AAA rechargeable. I've never run out of juice!
I was attracted by two versions of this on Amazon, but on this TV, there's no way of using the headphone socket and retaining the speakers,

One obvious way round this would be to have two sets of headphones but there's no straightforward way on Amazon to get a second set.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rualexander wrote: 9 May 2021, 7:04pm You can connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the TV audio out socket
https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/best-picks ... V-adapters
Only downside might be the battery will need regular charging
I looked at this in a general sort of way but quite a lot of the reviews suggest there's often a time lag with external Buetooth gadgets.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Buy a cheap (used?) AV amp that can take an audio input from the TV.

It will have a headphone output which you can adjust independent of the TV volume.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Our TV has an optical output which I have connected to a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver (Amazon link). I use my Bluetooth headset (Aftershokz Aeropex bone conduction) for silent (to others) viewing. You can have the TV audio too but there is a very small echoiness if you can hear both as one is slightly delayed (probably due to the Bluetooth processing to the headset). Headphones with better sound isolation should get round that OK. (I personally like the Aftershokz precisely because of the lack of sound isolation).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've read a lot of the reviews on Amazon, where it's important to try to sort the wheat from the chaff. The (slight?) loss of sync with add-on Bluetooth seems to be a recurring criticism.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I bought MrsH a pair of ordinary headphones to listen to programmes like "The Voice" on a Saturday evening and still allow me to sit in the living room. I'm fairly convinced the sound quality was better than from the TV itself.

So:

1 pair headphones with a cable (i.e. not wireless)
1 extension cable
1 adaptor if required

The cable plug (or adaptor) fits snugly into the TV audio jack and away you go. It couldn't be simpler IMV. So simple in fact that there is probably something I have missed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRZX110P ... 29118&th=1
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The long wire is the simple solution and I suppose it would be cheapest to try that first. Part of the spec which is hard to explain is that we've been together since the year England won the World Cup and married since 1967, and I've a pretty good idea of what will be used; I don't think a long lead will be suitable.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Apart from the trailing wire that approach might mute the television's internal speakers.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It definitely will mute the telly if it's connected to the earphone socket and the telly has no way of stopping that.