Headphones for watching television

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Headphones for watching television

Post by thirdcrank »

rjb wrote: 18 May 2021, 2:50pm Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but you need to pull the clear plastic cover off the end of the white plug before inserting it. :wink:
And remove the white cover from the box, or check if it pivots inside. What do the instructions say for connecting?
I am grateful for any advice.
Screenshot (18).png
That's a screenshot of the instructions online, which I also have as a paper version. The quick set up guide is even less helpful in terms of explaining how to do it, which is why I searched online and found the link earlier about taking a moment to get it the right way up.

I've also remembered to check youtube but I've not found anything helpful. While I've been typing this I've noticed that the full instruction book refers to some online beginners' guides so that's my next step.

With anything like this I try to be aware of my limitations but I am capable of following clear instructions. It's a pity that the geniuses who produce kit with almost magic powers lack the basic communications skills to explain how to use it.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Poke the pink cover and see if it flaps up inside, if it does check the shape of the exposed square hole and push the optical cable in to match, having removed that pesky clear cover from the plug first. :wink:

Pretty sure that pink cover flaps up internally as you insert the optical plug. Its similar to my tv but my hi fi has ones like the previous thread i posted which you have to remove. :wink:
Last edited by rjb on 18 May 2021, 4:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll try that and thanks for your helpful patience
==========================================================

PS For completeness here's the manufacturer's video. From watching it, it would be easy to assume that the connecters just pushes straight in. eg Nomention of removing the protector. When it comes to instructions, I'd prefer more rather than less. If it's something where I don't need instructions I won't bother reading.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/how-to-videos
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

on my pc I've used a plug in wireless transmitter that connects to the headphones.

Curries PC world might have a solution. I've tried google with "connecting wireless headphones to non bluetooth TV" and came up with

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/05/ho ... nes-to-tv/

https://www.bemwireless.com/guides/how- ... bluetooth/

hope those help

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 May 2021, 4:18pm I'll try that and thanks for your helpful patience
Great support from rjb.

Please let us know when either:

You have the digital audio cable connected between the TV and the sound bar. Then we can move on to configuration.

Or:

The cable won't fit at both ends.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cable went in ok, once I had the info that the vendor lacked the wit to provide ie remove protecting caps, socket on gadget is protected with a little door, hinged at the top. I've been too busy on other things to try it all out but I want it to go smoothly and that means zero distractions.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

All connected just now in the morning quiet. (Used the optical audio from the HDD recorder.) It's working well and as hoped. All that's left is to optimise it with its own controls for the user's lugs.

Thanks for the all the helpful help and the comity.
=================================================
PS Most important of all, it's been tried and approved by Mrs Thirdcrank who is happily viewing as I type this. :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've been reminded of this thread.

It's almost 2 years since I got this kit up and running and it's been a huge help during the lockdown etc. Thanks again to all who helped
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cool! Isn't it great when tech works :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

i bought one of those budget Bluetooth Transmitters/receivers from ebay. It works great with the hi fi but with the tv the sound delay lag even though its a fraction of a second makes it unsuitable if the tv picture shows someone speaking as their lips are out of synch, although for sporting events etc you wouldn't notice it. :wink: The delay is possibly caused by the analogue to digital conversion before transmission and the subsequent reconversion on the receiving end. The usb connection just provides a power supply to the transmitter and it requires an audio cable plugged into it. More expensive versions possibly have a digital signal direct to your headphones which reduces the lag to an acceptable level but your TV etc will need a digital audio output to achieve this. Some TVs will have Bluetooth receive and transmit modes. Mine doesn't. BTW I'm not an expert only hypothesising.
something like this for less than £5

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, that's Bluetooth latency, as mentioned in the first response in this thread.

aptX is one of the technical countermeasures:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

but it's still important to check reviews in order to prevent it being a problem. Caveat emptor, unfortunately.

Jonathan