Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Post by Oldjohnw »

The closest I have ever been to being killed on any kind of road or track by any kind transport with wheels was by a cyclist as I was walking down Skiddaw .
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 12 May 2021, 9:48am
Tangled Metal wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:17pm Club cyclists are another breed from non club cyclists. Arrogant and aggressive.
My experience is the complete opposite.
I am a member of two CCs at the moment and have been a member of a couple previously and apart from the odd idiot all members I've encountered have been normal,helpful folk.There are arrogant and aggressive CC riders out there I'm sure but I believe them to be the minority.
I think those members who race take things a bit more seriously than us mortal members but that's all.
These were all male, middle aged, middle club level speed or less and all born again cyclists on mid range road bikes wearing mid range cycling clothing. They were shouting loudly in their conversations, stopping talking only to tell my partner off for not wearing a helmet. This one example we were 5 or 10 minutes from home and were only there to find and check out two houses that had come on the market. It was a case of walking or doing it quicker by hopping on the bike. No real need forba helmet as most of it was away from roads and the rest was on very quiet roads.

Another time another guy from the same club said similar things. They only do that to my partner not me. I'm quick enough to catch them and give shoot back to them. They're always giving they're arrogant opinions on what others should do when they're passing so you can't reply back to them effing arrogant cowards! I repeat the name of the club, Kendal CC. Will that get modded out?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

jo' bo wrote: 11 May 2021, 3:42pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 11 May 2021, 1:27pm What do cyclists have to do to stop this anti cyclist rhetoric online? What has complaining about and reporting your own violence against cyclists got to do with gardening? It's daily mail with green fingers right now!!!!!
The general answer is stop acting like a complete ####

I cycle thousands of miles a year and the only serious threat to my ongoing safety is other cyclists , literally I escape serious injury by millimetres three times in the last week, two of those I was cycling and the other pushing my bike and these are far from reckless youths

When I pick up animosity from car drivers and pedestrian I know exactly why, they cant tell the,differance. I mean really who thinks a 20 rider peliton on a 12 foot wide shared use path, scattering adults and children and cyclists or die is not distinctly anti social, there were probably 200 new recruits to the " I hate cyclist" bandwagon from that alone

I know it not all of them, but it does seem a significant % and its really happened over the last 10 years or so
Before Covid we used to ride a randonee run by a Belgian club.
The route regularly ran on the wide shared use paths alongside the canals.
The club had to change the route to road only because there had been numerous incidents involving cyclists in training groups.
Perhaps we develop a pack mentality.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Pack mentality. Yes, that's it. A hyena pack scavenging for the weak link, boy they got it wrong with the missus if only they'd stopped to find out how wrong!!!

It's also all male packs too. IME all male groups of the type that join cycling gangs are the worst kind of packs.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Tangled Metal wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:11pm
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 12 May 2021, 9:48am
Tangled Metal wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:17pm Club cyclists are another breed from non club cyclists. Arrogant and aggressive.
My experience is the complete opposite.
I am a member of two CCs at the moment and have been a member of a couple previously and apart from the odd idiot all members I've encountered have been normal,helpful folk.There are arrogant and aggressive CC riders out there I'm sure but I believe them to be the minority.
I think those members who race take things a bit more seriously than us mortal members but that's all.
These were all male, middle aged, middle club level speed or less and all born again cyclists on mid range road bikes wearing mid range cycling clothing. They were shouting loudly in their conversations, stopping talking only to tell my partner off for not wearing a helmet. This one example we were 5 or 10 minutes from home and were only there to find and check out two houses that had come on the market. It was a case of walking or doing it quicker by hopping on the bike. No real need forba helmet as most of it was away from roads and the rest was on very quiet roads.

Another time another guy from the same club said similar things. They only do that to my partner not me. I'm quick enough to catch them and give shoot back to them. They're always giving they're arrogant opinions on what others should do when they're passing so you can't reply back to them effing arrogant cowards! I repeat the name of the club, Kendal CC. Will that get modded out?
Hopefully it won't get modded out as they deserve to be called out.Shouting opinions when passing other cyclists should not be tolerated by the CC in question!
RE the helmet thing.One of my CCs has a Facebook page and someone recently commented that they had turned up to the meeting point and saw one rider not wearing a helmet.They didn't speak to him but thought better to 'out' him on the Facebook page.Little did they know that this particular member was one of the current longest serving members of 40+years.The helmet-less member doesn't use social media so couldn't reply.
They were informed that had they read the club constitution they would have known that the club changed their stance on helmets years ago.The statutory 'must wear a helmet',that I believe is from British Cycling for member clubs,was changed to 'advised to but not compulsory' as many of the members felt alienated by the constraints of the BC rules for member clubs.
There are several older members who ride in full club kit but with a cap rather than a helmet.
It is and should be freedom of choice!
Oldjohnw wrote: 12 May 2021, 3:50pm The closest I have ever been to being killed on any kind of road or track by any kind transport with wheels was by a cyclist as I was walking down Skiddaw .
Skiddaw is,allegedly,the longest legal DH for MTBs in England so attracts MTBers for this reason.
We;ve ridden Skiddaw(and Helvellyn) many times over the years but always rode it very early or very late to avoid walkers.Snowden has a voluntary ban May-Sept for MTBs restricting the times that they can ride,I'm surprised that Skiddaw/Helvellyn don't have similar!
Descending Skiddaw we've hit 35mph+.That would cause serious damage to a walker if a collision occured!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Oldjohnw wrote: 12 May 2021, 3:50pm The closest I have ever been to being killed on any kind of road or track by any kind transport with wheels was by a cyclist as I was walking down Skiddaw .
Not sure if you are tarring cyclists in general with your brush or just downhillers.

But I'd point out that you're a statistical anomaly - just look at Gov statistics for injuries on our roads (and also RTAs that dont result in injuries); drivers are the chief problem, by a considerable majority. Your experience doesn't change that, it doesn't fix my injuries from a van-driver SMIDSY.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:41am
Not sure if you are tarring cyclists in general with your brush or just downhillers.

But I'd point out that you're a statistical anomaly - just look at Gov statistics for injuries on our roads (and also RTAs that dont result in injuries); drivers are the chief problem, by a considerable majority. Your experience doesn't change that, it doesn't fix my injuries from a van-driver SMIDSY.
Well they are going to, as not only are there millions more motorists, they do a considerably greater annual mileage, ergo more car crashes

From a personal perspective, I find the number of car drivers that delibratly swerve on to the wrong side of the road to aim directly at me to be dwarfed by the number of cyclists who think it's an amusing way of livening their ride up
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:05pm

Well they are going to, as not only are there millions more motorists, they do a considerably greater annual mileage, ergo more car crashes

From a personal perspective, I find the number of car drivers that delibratly swerve on to the wrong side of the road to aim directly at me to be dwarfed by the number of cyclists who think it's an amusing way of livening their ride up
Your odd anecdote doesn't match the experience of anyone else I know, nor do I recall it ever reported in the media.

Your statistical view is also flawed; just look at the car-vs-bike incidents. Reports vary between 80% and 90% of those being caused by the *driver* involved. The sheer number of cars just makes those interactions more likely, hardly something you should be shrugging off.

You have a very strange attitude to road safety!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Re fast downhills: we were once on a walk in Ashdown Forest and came to the celebrated and notorious Kidd's Hill aka 'The Wall', which we decided to walk up for a short way. A peloton of roadies came hurtling downhill towards us, passing us very close indeed. Speed is hard to estimate, but it looked like 50mph+ (80 Km/h). Scary! Any physical contact at that speed would probably mean a hospital trip - or the morgue. Sorry, but those cyclists get a big thumbs-down for their antics...

I might also add that there is a 40mph speed limit throughout most of Ashdown Forest. There is a danger of colliding with a deer, sheep, or other animal. And I leave to your imagination what collision with a full-grown stag at 50mph might do to you!

Having said that, I once hit probably my fastest speed ever, pelting down Reigate Hill at night (one of Simon L's nocturnal L2Bs). A bad move: there is a level crossing at the foot of the hill. Something fell off my bike, but it wasn't serious damage to the bike or me. It could have been.... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:29pm

If you want to dismiss it as an
Your odd anecdote doesn't match the experience of anyone else I know, nor do I recall it ever reported in the media.

Your statistical view is also flawed; just look at the car-vs-bike incidents. Reports vary between 80% and 90% of those being caused by the *driver* involved. The sheer number of cars just makes those interactions more likely, hardly something you should be shrugging off.

If you want to dismiss it as an anecdote, fine I prefer " personal testimony " it also happens to be true, three times in the last month twice on the Bike and once walking has someone elected to change direction expressly to play chicken with me, one of those was swerving wIldly from side to side of the shared use path to make all the pedestrians jump out of the way

That's not counting the many who think it a good idea to ride right at young children on the canal bank dinking their bell exspecting 6 year olds jump out of the way, someone needs to explain they dont have right of way.

or the guy who found it funny to serve wildly to chase my dog down the path in the woods,that's just April, it was better in feb and march as they were a fewer in number
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:44pm
mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:29pm

If you want to dismiss it as an

If you want to dismiss it as an anecdote, fine I prefer " personal testimony " it also happens to be true, three times in the last month twice on the Bike and once walking has someone elected to change direction expressly to play chicken with me, one of those was swerving wIldly from side to side of the shared use path to make all the pedestrians jump out of the way

That's not counting the many who think it a good idea to ride right at young children on the canal bank dinking their bell exspecting 6 year olds jump out of the way, someone needs to explain they dont have right of way.

or the guy who found it funny to serve wildly to chase my dog down the path in the woods,that's just April, it was better in feb and march as they were a fewer in number
Nb I forgot the stupid old #### on an e bike, that went flying under a canal bridge with an 18" wide path neglect to notice that I was already on it , I'm beginning to think that eyes requirements shouldnt be one of the,dispensations given to e bike riders as apart from missing a 6 foot guy in a red hoody , pushing a bright trek,he had complely missed the cyclist dismount sign
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:55pm
Way to go on a thread you started complaining of anti cyclist tropes.

You couldn't make this up.
I call out bad behaviour when I see it. That is different to tropes like "don't pay to use the roads", "always jumping red lights", "should be made to have a licence/licence plate/insurance/ pass a driving test", etc.

I specific mentioned in my post about a local club that I have experienced poor behaviour from. There's other clubs locally but I haven't encountered them perhaps because they're more about sport training than leisure riding like the club that we've had bad experiences with. Are you saying that you can't mention such things when others have brought bad behaviour of cyclists up first? Or perhaps it's just me that can't mention bad behaviour? Or is it anyone? Are you the type of cyclist who does not accept that cyclists exhibit bad behaviour? Who defends cyclists no matter what? If so I guess you can make anything up if it defends your view of cyclists.

As for me I believe strongly that we should defend cyclists from these tropes and falsehoods from the likes of daily mail. But I also feel just as strongly that poor behaviour of cyclists should be called out by other cyclists. Tbh it is kind of policing your own house to do so. That is what my purpose with mentioning my experience of a local club on a trip behaving like a pack. Tbh I find offence at being called out for doing so.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Club cyclists are another breed from non club cyclists. Arrogant and aggressive...
Now that is a perfect example of how deep-rooted the inherant antipathy towards cyclists is here in the UK - even cyclists don't like cyclists !! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

simonineaston wrote: 13 May 2021, 1:30pm
Club cyclists are another breed from non club cyclists. Arrogant and aggressive...
Now that is a perfect example of how deep-rooted the inherant antipathy towards cyclists is here in the UK - even cyclists don't like cyclists !! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonineaston wrote: 13 May 2021, 1:30pm
Indeed.

(I find it rather sad, when I'm not finding these blustering blow-hards funny.)