Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Post by Tangled Metal »

What do cyclists have to do to stop this anti cyclist rhetoric online? What has complaining about and reporting your own violence against cyclists got to do with gardening? It's daily mail with green fingers right now!!!!!
Jdsk

Re: Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Post by Jdsk »

Perhaps a reference to what you're complaining about... ?

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

have you got a link

may be cyclists could have a social media black out for a week as a protest.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I was gardening today with my chums, nearly all of us cycled there :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

A deep-seated hatred of cyclists has existed in the UK since we invented them. In my view it's a straightforward proxy for our obsession with class. Cyclists simply represent the common-man/woman who is weaker or poorer or lower down the pecking order than the observer. Very useful for those who wish themselves somehow better.
Lord alone knows how many injuries, mental or physical, this attitude has been responsible for, over the years...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Cycling hatred is everywhere.
IME almost everyone who doesn't cycle hates cyclists!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 11 May 2021, 2:38pmCyclists simply represent the common-man/woman who is weaker or poorer or lower down the pecking order than the observer. Very useful for those who wish themselves somehow better.
In LTN issues apparently cyclists tend to be perceived as posher and whiter than others.

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Saw a sticker on a trash can:
DON'T BE RACIST! HATE EVERYBODY! :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

apparently cyclists tend to be perceived as posher and whiter than others.
That makes sense - that is why the typical UK motorist hates them so... what used to be called inverse snobbery! And as has been suggested elsewhere, so-called white-van-man, of which there are now thousands and thousands, hates everybody!!
I have to say I gave up using main roads donks ago and have favoured traffic-free and traffic-low routes ever since - although I must add that there's been a recent development over the last decade, whereby there are more and more cyclists on my favoured routes - how annoying!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 May 2021, 1:27pm What do cyclists have to do to stop this anti cyclist rhetoric online? What has complaining about and reporting your own violence against cyclists got to do with gardening? It's daily mail with green fingers right now!!!!!
The general answer is stop acting like a complete ####

I cycle thousands of miles a year and the only serious threat to my ongoing safety is other cyclists , literally I escape serious injury by millimetres three times in the last week, two of those I was cycling and the other pushing my bike and these are far from reckless youths

When I pick up animosity from car drivers and pedestrian I know exactly why, they cant tell the,differance. I mean really who thinks a 20 rider peliton on a 12 foot wide shared use path, scattering adults and children and cyclists or die is not distinctly anti social, there were probably 200 new recruits to the " I hate cyclist" bandwagon from that alone

I know it not all of them, but it does seem a significant % and its really happened over the last 10 years or so
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I was just saying to my cycling buddy here in the Borders that we must be pretty lucky, we get the occasional close pass and a rare ignorant driver but attitudes to cyclists from drivers seems nowhere as bad as in some areas of the country! Maybe because of the small population a higher number of drivers cycle themselves or know someone who does?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

VinceLedge wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:19pm I was just saying to my cycling buddy here in the Borders that we must be pretty lucky, we get the occasional close pass and a rare ignorant driver but attitudes to cyclists from drivers seems nowhere as bad as in some areas of the country! Maybe because of the small population a higher number of drivers cycle themselves or know someone who does?

Agreed. The problems others identify are not my experience, thankfully. I tend to meet only friendliness and courtesy.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:24pm
VinceLedge wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:19pm I was just saying to my cycling buddy here in the Borders that we must be pretty lucky, we get the occasional close pass and a rare ignorant driver but attitudes to cyclists from drivers seems nowhere as bad as in some areas of the country! Maybe because of the small population a higher number of drivers cycle themselves or know someone who does?
Agreed. The problems others identify are not my experience, thankfully. I tend to meet only friendliness and courtesy.
I suspect that most of the variation described in this forum isn't regional but reflects the sensitivity of the reporter.

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

To be fair we do get a rare idiot who shouts something as they pass or a hand sign in the car, but pretty rare.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I have only had one instance of a kind of abuse when on my bike and that was when a motorist cruised down a hill so I couldn't hear his engine then after getting dangerously close he honked his horn so my jumping out of my skin nearly made me lose control and go under his tyres.

However most of abuse, aggression and prejudice has come from online sources. It's that subset of cycle hate that I'm keen to see the end of if possible. I've not experienced much of an issue in person. Perhaps being 196cm tall has an effect on others behaviour.

It's not sensitivity but ignorance on anti cyclist people. They use the same tired arguments.