Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
DaveReading

Re: Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Post by DaveReading »

Jdsk wrote: 11 May 2021, 2:47pmIn LTN issues apparently cyclists tend to be perceived as posher and whiter than others.
Where are you referring to ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It came up when I was walking round Newham. But it felt as if it was a well-known issue elsewhere.

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

An occasional close pass?
Fact is: they kill lots of us. We kill none of them
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 May 2021, 8:45pm Fact is: they kill lots of us. We kill none of them
This isn't a sensible division. Sometimes I ride a bike, sometimes I drive a car. It's not "them" killing "us".

You can manipulate that into something that is true such as "people driving cars at the time kill people who aren't, people riding bikes at the time very rarely kill anyone else".

And then there are the important points that do usefully come up in this forum. Are "lots" of cyclists killed? Does this sort of language put people off cycling by suggesting that it's more dangerous than it is and thereby prevent them from gaining the benefits? I'd simply word it as "far too many".

This thread started by deploring hatred of others, let's not drag it down to that level.

Jonathan
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

I drive a commercial vehicle and used to drive a lorry-my right of way and I will be coming through
I have a motorcycle license
I have bicycles and a tandem.

My experience is the poorly maintained bikes carrier bag holding reprobates that ride wrong way down a one way street are a completely different breed to family and club cyclists.

I have never had an issue with any cyclist apart from the reprobates.

Plenty of dumb tourists in my neck of woods walk across a road and don't look, horn or bell has no effect
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Club cyclists are another breed from non club cyclists. Arrogant and aggressive. But that's just my experience of Kendall club it wearing cycling groups my family and I have had contact with. I've posted comments about then before on here. If you want people to have a poor view of all cyclists you need the scrotes on a bike and the arrogant and aggressive club cyclists.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:17pm Club cyclists are another breed from non club cyclists. Arrogant and aggressive. But that's just my experience of Kendall club it wearing cycling groups my family and I have had contact with. I've posted comments about then before on here. If you want people to have a poor view of all cyclists you need the scrotes on a bike and the arrogant and aggressive club cyclists.
The ones I particularly dislike are the pre planned agenda and looking a scene, they have daily youtube scenes.

Club cyclists locally I haven't had any issues or disagreement with and found them friendly at a cafe in past.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:24pm
VinceLedge wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:19pm I was just saying to my cycling buddy here in the Borders that we must be pretty lucky, we get the occasional close pass and a rare ignorant driver but attitudes to cyclists from drivers seems nowhere as bad as in some areas of the country! Maybe because of the small population a higher number of drivers cycle themselves or know someone who does?

Agreed. The problems others identify are not my experience, thankfully. I tend to meet only friendliness and courtesy.
Do you ever see any other cyclists out in the Borders / North Northumberland. 86 mile so far this week and have not seen another, 136 mile last week and don't think I seen any. Didn't really see any motorists either tonight (apart from that horrible bit between Cornhill & Coldstream where at least 200 cars and trucks past me :( ) I hardly seen anything else in the other 35 mile.

Anyway, the OP was about abuse online so nothing to do with abuse on the road. I also occasionally see hatred towards cyclists on line and do find it disturbing that the nutters that have such a dislike for cyclists may one day need to pass me.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Pebble wrote: 11 May 2021, 11:25pm Do you ever see any other cyclists out in the Borders / North Northumberland. 86 mile so far this week and have not seen another, 136 mile last week and don't think I seen any. Didn't really see any motorists either tonight (apart from that horrible bit between Cornhill & Coldstream where at least 200 cars and trucks past me :( ) I hardly seen anything else in the other 35 mile.
Cyclist 'distribution' is interesting; it's hardly surprising that there are more cyclists close to areas of population, but there's an immediate drop-off when turning into hilly regions except popular hills. A couple of weeks ago l rode a route that included Tan Hill, l was overtaken by (then overtook) a couple on the ascent and saw maybe 8 cyclists on the descent. However less well-known places in the Pennines l might not see another cyclist for 30 miles.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pebble wrote: 11 May 2021, 11:25pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:24pm
VinceLedge wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:19pm I was just saying to my cycling buddy here in the Borders that we must be pretty lucky, we get the occasional close pass and a rare ignorant driver but attitudes to cyclists from drivers seems nowhere as bad as in some areas of the country! Maybe because of the small population a higher number of drivers cycle themselves or know someone who does?

Agreed. The problems others identify are not my experience, thankfully. I tend to meet only friendliness and courtesy.
Do you ever see any other cyclists out in the Borders / North Northumberland. 86 mile so far this week and have not seen another, 136 mile last week and don't think I seen any. Didn't really see any motorists either tonight (apart from that horrible bit between Cornhill & Coldstream where at least 200 cars and trucks past me :( ) I hardly seen anything else in the other 35 mile.

Anyway, the OP was about abuse online so nothing to do with abuse on the road. I also occasionally see hatred towards cyclists on line and do find it disturbing that the nutters that have such a dislike for cyclists may one day need to pass me.
Often I can travel for a couple of hours and see no one. Last week, on a Sunday, i unusually came across about a dozen cyclists. Possibly because it was the first day we could cross the border. I went to mLower Burnmouth and had to push up the hill. But very few cars.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The general answer is stop acting like a complete ####
Yeah but... I seldom do. As a rule I potter about sensibly, in my hiviz jacket, at suitably bumbling speeds, usually far from traffic and other road users, stopping for folks on zebra crossings, waitign patiently at red lights, getting off when I spot dismount signs... yadda yadda yadda.
My machine doesn't consume unsustainable and expensive fuel resources, doesn't emit toxic fumes, I don't clog up roads by my sheer physical hugeness, my machine doesn't contribute towards the sickening statistic of thousands of deaths & serious injuries on roads annually and its almost complety quiet. Using it contributes to keeping me modestly fit and well and so less of a drain on our pressed national health service... In summary, me and my bike are a benign and positive force albeit a tiny one, for the good and the pleasant in my society, so I don't really feel I should receive any reproach at all, thank you very much.
Quite the reverse in fact. I rather fancy that I ought to sail past pedestrains and other observers lined up roadside, cheering me on and clapping me for making the effort... I rather feel that as I head up the traffic queue to the cycle box, each and every car and van driver I pass ought to lean out of the window and say "well done mate you're helping us all - thanks so much" !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 11 May 2021, 11:25pm Do you ever see any other cyclists out in the Borders / North Northumberland. 86 mile so far this week and have not seen another,.
"Mid Northumberland" (Alnwick), ten years ago, even two years ago, it was exceptionally rare to see another cyclist. An occasional cyclist when cycling on roads past towards landmark features I.e. Bamburgh castle, Budle bay, but otherwise unknown on many 50-80 miles, particularly those heading North and and inland.

But the past year it's been bizarre, even saw a road cyclist on a 20 mile route I can't recall ever having seen a cyclist on in 10+ years
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

gbnz wrote: 12 May 2021, 8:26am "Mid Northumberland" (Alnwick), ten years ago, even two years ago, it was exceptionally rare to see another cyclist. An occasional cyclist when cycling on roads past towards landmark features I.e. Bamburgh castle, Budle bay, but otherwise unknown on many 50-80 miles, particularly those heading North and and inland.

But the past year it's been bizarre, even saw a road cyclist on a 20 mile route I can't recall ever having seen a cyclist on in 10+ years
I think that's partly been the Wiggins/Froome effect too. On a drizzly, cold October day in 2010 l could ride 60 miles and see no cyclists. On a drizzly, cold October day by 2016 I'd see a couple. It feels or felt a bit how long-standing Leicester City fans must've felt in 2016 - where did this lot come from!?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

simonineaston wrote: 12 May 2021, 7:46am
The general answer is stop acting like a complete ####
Yeah but... I seldom do. As a rule I potter about sensibly, in my hiviz jacket, at suitably bumbling speeds, usually far from traffic and other road users, stopping for folks on zebra crossings, waitign patiently at red lights, getting off when I spot dismount signs... yadda yadda yadda.
My machine doesn't consume unsustainable and expensive fuel resources, doesn't emit toxic fumes, I don't clog up roads by my sheer physical hugeness, my machine doesn't contribute towards the sickening statistic of thousands of deaths & serious injuries on roads annually and its almost complety quiet. Using it contributes to keeping me modestly fit and well and so less of a drain on our pressed national health service... In summary, me and my bike are a benign and positive force albeit a tiny one, for the good and the pleasant in my society, so I don't really feel I should receive any reproach at all, thank you very much.
Quite the reverse in fact. I rather fancy that I ought to sail past pedestrains and other observers lined up roadside, cheering me on and clapping me for making the effort... I rather feel that as I head up the traffic queue to the cycle box, each and every car and van driver I pass ought to lean out of the window and say "well done mate you're helping us all - thanks so much" !!
Remember the series life on Mars where he had a bump to the head?
This reminds me of a clap for NHS.
On the version I see is a smokey diesel 4x4 and club cyclists in a cartoon thanked. :D
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 May 2021, 8:45pm Fact is: they kill lots of us. We kill none of them
Not like you to exaggerate Cyril :wink:
Tangled Metal wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:17pm Club cyclists are another breed from non club cyclists. Arrogant and aggressive.
My experience is the complete opposite.
I am a member of two CCs at the moment and have been a member of a couple previously and apart from the odd idiot all members I've encountered have been normal,helpful folk.There are arrogant and aggressive CC riders out there I'm sure but I believe them to be the minority.
I think those members who race take things a bit more seriously than us mortal members but that's all.