Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
slowster

Re: Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Post by slowster »

jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:44pm
slowster wrote: 13 May 2021, 7:06pm
jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 5:40pm why cant you cycle a few meters apart in line and if necessary slow,down to let people cross or get past, coz your all pretending your pros?
An answer to your question (from Surrey Roads Police twitter)...
No, there is no law saying you cant ride two abreast, but there is no law saying you need to leave a 1.5 meter passing space either.

It seems the police can enforce one non law but not the other ?
You've moved on from questioning why cyclists should not always ride in single file, so I presume you accept the explanation given for that. With regard to the question of a 1.5m passing space, that distance is not enshrined in law. The law requires that drivers only overtake when it is safe to do so. In some circumstances a driver would need to leave a much bigger gap than 1.5m to be able to overtake safely. The police who are stopping motorists in close pass initiatives are doing so because the drivers have passed a cyclist significantly closer than 1.5m in circumstances where they, as the enforcers of that law, consider that distance to be the minimum for the overtake to be safe and therefore an offence has been committed, namely careless driving.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

slowster wrote: 13 May 2021, 10:16pm
jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:44pm
An answer to your question (from Surrey Roads Police twitter)...
No, there is no law saying you cant ride two abreast, but there is no law saying you need to leave a 1.5 meter passing space either.

It seems the police can enforce one non law but not the other ?
You've moved on from questioning why cyclists should not always ride in single file, so I presume you accept the explanation given for that. With regard to the question of a 1.5m passing space, that distance is not enshrined in law. The law requires that drivers only overtake when it is safe to do so. In some circumstances a driver would need to leave a much bigger gap than 1.5m to be able to overtake safely. The police who are stopping motorists in close pass initiatives are doing so because the drivers have passed a cyclist significantly closer than 1.5m in circumstances where they, as the enforcers of that law, consider that distance to be the minimum for the overtake to be safe and therefore an offence has been committed, namely careless driving.
No I've pointed out that if they were some distance apart, there would be no need for either,

The police are not the enforcers of the law, that would be the courts, though I admit this often confuses the police, so it not that surprising that you dont know
slowster

Post by slowster »

jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 10:39pm No I've pointed out that if they were some distance apart, there would be no need for either,
I'm not sure what you mean by that. The graphic above used by Surrey Roads Police is quite clear.
jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 10:39pm The police are not the enforcers of the law, that would be the courts, though I admit this often confuses the police, so it not that surprising that you dont know
You seem to be confused yourself:
jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:44pm It seems the police can enforce one non law but not the other ?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

From the Police Federation:
The purpose of the police service is to uphold the law fairly and firmly; to prevent crime; to pursue and bring to justice those who break the law; to keep the Queen's peace; to protect, help and reassure the community; and to be seen to do this with integrity, common sense and sound judgement.
John
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

sjs wrote: 13 May 2021, 6:29pm
You disapprove of all posts that tell us nothing useful about the world? You're on the wrong forum.
It was a King Canute style gesture - I know the reality of the internet, don't remind me!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 5:40pm why cant you cycle a few meters apart in line and if necessary slow,down to let people cross or get past, coz your all pretending your pros?
An answer to your question (from Surrey Roads Police twitter):

https://twitter.com/surreyroadcops/stat ... 3016366080
Out of interest, does anybody know if this is the original work of somebody in Surrey Police? I ask because it seems to have the lucidity of someone who really understands the subject. I'm totally lost about what this has to do with gardening forums, but there might be benefit if the author were to be seconded (and probably promoted half-a-dozen ranks) to a role with the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 5:40pm
mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 4:42pm You're saying a leisure club peloton is comparable with a pro peleton? Ignoring that:
- there will be 10-20 in a club ride vs 180 of the pros
Anywhere but a closed road even 20 in tight formation is not safe ridding, its putting other folk at risk, and,annoying the hell out of motorists, then when someone objects it's all playing the victim " oh why do they all hate us" why cant you cycle a few meters apart in line and if necessary slow,down to let people cross or get past, coz your all pretending your pros?
Who is pretending to be pros? You have some strange ideas about other people (including where you stated that all eBike users are idiots - nice!)

I said "10-20" ; 10 is much more common than 20, but never mind, I'll answer what you wrote:
Show me why such a group is not safe riding. Explain to me how it's putting other folk at risk.

You've just leaped to a conclusion with no evidence whatsoever!

"Annoying the hell out of motorists" is easy - just ride a bike. Ideally with a mate, or overtaking a Q of drivers. Or post on the internet that a road death was caused by a careless driver. Or post that a cab-driver has broken the law.

You're just stoking the fires of their bigotry. You're helping nobody.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mattheus wrote: 14 May 2021, 9:35am
You disapprove of all posts that tell us nothing useful about the world? You're on the wrong forum.
It was a King Canute style gesture - I know the reality of the internet, don't remind me!
Does that mean that someone made a pointless post complaining about someone who made a pointless post? :lol: :lol: :lol:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:07am
Does that mean that someone made a pointless post complaining about someone who made a pointless post? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh mine wasn't pointless, not by any means. You should have called it ineffectual; that would be more accurate, and more stinging!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mattheus wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:09am
Tangled Metal wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:07am
Oh mine wasn't pointless, not by any means. You should have called it ineffectual; that would be more accurate, and more stinging!
Prefer pointless but ineffectual too now you come to mention it. Still, it's a contribution we all read so not without merit of sorts (fills in a bit of empty downtime).
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

mattheus wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:06am
jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 5:40pm
mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 4:42pm You're saying a leisure club peloton is comparable with a pro peleton? Ignoring that:
- there will be 10-20 in a club ride vs 180 of the pros
Anywhere but a closed road even 20 in tight formation is not safe ridding, its putting other folk at risk, and,annoying the hell out of motorists, then when someone objects it's all playing the victim " oh why do they all hate us" why cant you cycle a few meters apart in line and if necessary slow,down to let people cross or get past, coz your all pretending your pros?
Who is pretending to be pros? You have some strange ideas about other people (including where you stated that all eBike users are idiots - nice!)

I said "10-20" ; 10 is much more common than 20, but never mind, I'll answer what you wrote:
Show me why such a group is not safe riding. Explain to me how it's putting other folk at risk.

You've just leaped to a conclusion with no evidence whatsoever!

"Annoying the hell out of motorists" is easy - just ride a bike. Ideally with a mate, or overtaking a Q of drivers. Or post on the internet that a road death was caused by a careless driver. Or post that a cab-driver has broken the law.

You're just stoking the fires of their bigotry. You're helping nobody.
There is not bigotry, which would be just a mindless dislike, there does seem to be is a complete lack of self awareness from cyclists that this is fueled by the inconsiderate, reckless and some times delibratly dangerous action of cyclists, even if that isnt you, as it's not me, it's easy to understand why people have an antipathy towards cyclists in general

I met some old guy on a gravel bike in an other wise desert woods watch out for me dog up there mate I said, a perfectly polite and reasonable request I thought

Il run the $$$$ing #### over if it's in my way he replied.
That is just a,single incedent of an aggressive bombastic, entitled and bullying attitude that seems to prevail.

ITS A SHARED USE SPACE ,LEARN TO SHARE

What's up with these people where even basic care and civility is alien to them. All the walkers dog walkers and people taking their kids out to use shared use spaces are car drivers, they treat cyclists much how cyclists tend to treat pedestrians, I've yet to ever see a cyclist leave a 1.5 meter passing gap as they weave in and out of children at 20 mph

My run ins and falls outs with them over the last two or three years are numerous
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:01am That is just a,single incedent of an aggressive bombastic, entitled and bullying attitude that seems to prevail.

What's up with these people where even basic care and civility is alien to them.
You think that's bad, try using a public road with some car drivers on it.

--------------------
Anyway, we seem to see the same events occuring across our green-and-pleasant land over several decades and somehow draw utterly different conclusions.
So we're probably done.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

mattheus wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:27am
jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:01am That is just a,single incedent of an aggressive bombastic, entitled and bullying attitude that seems to prevail.

What's up with these people where even basic care and civility is alien to them.
You think that's bad, try using a public road with some car drivers on it.

--------------------
Anyway, we seem to see the same events occuring across our green-and-pleasant land over several decades and somehow draw utterly different conclusions.
So we're probably done.
I do, I cycle for in excess of 5k a year every year rain sun or snow.

And I seldom if ever have aNY problem with car drivers

I'm aware they may not have seen me and ride according, if I'm in their way I pull over slow down and wave them past, its annoying how many have taken the 1.5 meters passing gap on board, as they continue to ride behind me, instead of getting past and us both getting where are going faster
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

1.5m passing is not a non law, drivers are charged for inconsiderate/careless/dangerous driving.

The 1.5m figure is just something that has been established via case law as what is likely to result in conviction. Of course it does vary by circumstances somewhat. Still easier to just use the other lane entirely, no problems then.
Jdsk wrote: 11 May 2021, 2:47pm In LTN issues apparently cyclists tend to be perceived as posher and whiter than others.

Jonathan
i thought it was well known that cyclists exist in a superposition of 'white middle class & privileged' and 'too poor to own a car and doesn't pay any tax towards the roads'. This wavefunction only collapses at the time of argument to whichever one is more useful for the point being made. :)
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:11pm
Jdsk wrote: 11 May 2021, 2:47pm In LTN issues apparently cyclists tend to be perceived as posher and whiter than others.
i thought it was well known that cyclists exist in a superposition of 'white middle class & privileged' and 'too poor to own a car and doesn't pay any tax towards the roads'. This wavefunction only collapses at the time of argument to whichever one is more useful for the point being made.
Does the Copenhagen interpretation involve a Dursley Pedersen?

Jonathan