Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: Anti cycling tropes on a gardening forum!!!

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:01am I've yet to ever see a cyclist leave a 1.5 meter passing gap as they weave in and out of children at 20 mph
I've literally never seen a cyclist wave in and out of children at 20mph.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:34am
And I seldom if ever have aNY problem with car drivers
I think you are in a very small minority on that front.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:19pm
jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:01am I've yet to ever see a cyclist leave a 1.5 meter passing gap as they weave in and out of children at 20 mph
I've literally never seen a cyclist wave in and out of children at 20mph.
Really coz it happens to my family 10 times in three miles on our Saturday canal walks, admittedly they first ride straight at young children dinging their bell and if 5hat doesnt work just weave in and out, anything but slow down

If I'm quick enough I wiz the bike I'm pushing into their path, it's amazing how quickly they can scrub off speed when they have to
Last edited by jo' bo on 14 May 2021, 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:21pm
But I also seem to be a very small minority of being considerate, do you by any chance think the two may be connected ?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:33pm
But I also seem to be a very small minority of being considerate, do you by any chance think the two may be connected ?
No.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

Mike Sales wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:34pm

No.
Well pretty convinced it does have an effect
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

And modest with it.

Naturally, I am also a very considerate cyclist, yet my experience is radically different to yours, having, just for instance, only yesterday experienced a motorist with a large trailer accelerate at me on a single track back lane.

Indeed I will wager that you will be quite unable to find another of us considerate cyclists who shares your experience.

What exactly causes your experience to be so unique I shall not speculate upon, but leave you to ponder for yourself.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I seldom have an issue with drivers. I seldom have an issue with cyclists. I do still have issues with both. Same with pedestrians and joggers too. In fact I had a big issue with joggers during the first lockdown on the canal towpath we used as our daily exercise route since it's at the end of our road and behind our house.

In those days, seems so long ago now, there were many joggers who ran at a very fast rate, very fit men running because gyms were closed I guess. Always men BTW if that's relevant. They would not give any warning which resulted in our then 7 yo son nearly being pushed into the canal on several occasions. How on earth can you react when a runner comes round a bend behind you so fast you only detect his presence when he's pushing you out of the way?? Being bigger than most of the ones we had issues with I positioned myself at the back and made sure they had to call out. Was that antisocial on my part because it felt defensive from our POV?

BTW it made me think about cyclists too. Those problem runners behaved a lot like the more irresponsible cyclists on that canal towpath in that they were quicker than most other users, did not consider anyone but themselves and gave no warning of their presence so other users could move to the side.

The other final point I'd say that during lockdown use of that canal towpath we saw a lot of new faces. It's a route we have used a lot since getting our dog and before that with our son after he got his first bike. Indeed with his scooter, pedal less bike and even right back to his pram, child bike seat and child trailer. We know other regular users and a lot of the problem faces were new to that area. Whether gym freaks using running to keep their edge while gyms were closed or people buying bikes to exercise during lockdown. It's like they never learnt towpath etiquette. There were a few regulars with I'll politely call personality issues who if they encountered the problem people would confront the problem head on. Not what I condone but their input sometimes stopped such conflict in future. Education of sorts.

My ramblings really only end at the view I have that there's always problem people in any activity or place. We can try to educate them but the only real action is to educate ourselves to be the best we can. Concentrate first on our actions as the easiest action then you're not contributing toi increasing conflict. Then you can look at other matters knowing you're not being a problem. I'm sure most on here do that already
RickH

Post by RickH »

Stevek76 wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:11pmi thought it was well known that cyclists exist in a superposition of 'white middle class & privileged' and 'too poor to own a car and doesn't pay any tax towards the roads'. This wavefunction only collapses at the time of argument to whichever one is more useful for the point being made. :)
Schrodinger's cyclist? :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 14 May 2021, 2:04pm
And modest with it.

Naturally, I am also a very considerate cyclist, yet my experience is radically different to yours, having, just for instance, only yesterday experienced a motorist with a large trailer accelerate at me on a single track back lane.

Indeed I will wager that you will be quite unable to find another of us considerate cyclists who shares your experience.

What exactly causes your experience to be so unique I shall not speculate upon, but leave you to ponder for yourself.
I suspect that the,differance in that instance would be, I'd considered the relative mass of the vehicles, and the diffcultly of maneuvering a large trailer on a single track road and pull over and wave them through. It's about controlling thhe situation not contest right of way with a vehicle your going to loose against
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Jdsk wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:18pm Does the Copenhagen interpretation involve a Dursley Pedersen?

Jonathan
Well if that's the interpretation, then if there's no angry one<locationhere> member doing the arguing, did the cyclist really exist at all?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

... when I read some of the threads I'm increasingly tempted to think that there might, after all, be many worlds.

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 2:13pm
And modest with it.

I suspect that the,differance in that instance would be, I'd considered the relative mass of the vehicles, and the diffcultly of maneuvering a large trailer on a single track road and pull over and wave them through. It's about controlling thhe situation not contest right of way with a vehicle your going to loose against
I note that you have made a number of assumptions, rather than worrying yourself with the facts.

I expect it's caused by your considerate nature.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 14 May 2021, 2:22pm
jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 2:13pm

And modest with it.

I note that you have made a number of assumptions, rather than worrying yourself with the facts.

I expect it's caused by your considerate nature.

I can only go with the facts you presented, which were few,
But as he accelerated at you it seem unlikely you had got out of his way as then he wouldnt be able to accelerate at you, would he ?

I've done advanced motorcycling and driving, if you apply much the same lessons about anticipation and control, then its usually fine, are their homicidal maniacs who want to crush you under their wheels no reason? Yes I'm sure there are, I suspect they make up a vanishingly small % of the population

I dont usual contest right of way as a pedestrian with 300lb body builders for much same reason
Last edited by jo' bo on 14 May 2021, 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 2:31pm

I can only go with the facts you presented, which were few,
But as he accelerated at you it seem unlikely you had got out of his way as then he wouldnt be able to accelerate at you, would he ?

I've done advanced motorcycling and driving, if you apply much the same lessons about anticipation and control, then its usually fine, are their homicidal maniac who want to crush you under their wheels no reason? Yes I'm sure their are, I suspect they make up a vanishgky small % of the population
Your continued assumptions free of any facts are doubtless further evidence of your consideration for others.

In my experience, motorists who actively intend to bully other road users, including but not exclusively cyclists, are sufficiently common to be a menace.

Those who unintentionally or unthinkingly endanger cyclists are far more common.