Saddlebag! What goes in it?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Saddlebag! What goes in it?

Post by Mick F »

PS:
The Goretex may not be in the bag, as it's drizzling with rain now, so I may as well put it on as I leave.

Even more room in there!
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 13 May 2021, 8:54am So, I just bought something I never thought I'd get - a traditional saddlebag... in my mind they're associated with old Raleigh roadsters, with huge wheels, a saggy leather saddle, Sturmey Archer gears and one of those tubes for popping batteries for the lights in. I bought a Carradice Audax Lightweight and very nice it is too!
Hold on - plastic buckles, nylon material, bright lining.... it's as untraditional as you can get and still be recognisably a Carradice. Depending of your viewpoint it's either an imposter, or a modernised classic, which would make you either hip or a traitor :wink: I hope you didn't get one of the colourful ones? They're even more divisive!!
In my traditional saddlebag, I have the usual - tools & spares, lock, sandwiches, maybe coffee kit, spare clothing (Waterproof on the outside where possible), spare light, shopping knapsack. I rarely leave home with it more than about half full, but for one reason or another it's not uncommon to return with it crammed. I do also have a barbag for the valuables, electronics, camera, wallet, I could probably manage with one or the other, but I like the versatility.
Syd

Post by Syd »

After years or putting essentials (tyre levers, CO2 cartridge and reg, multitool) etc into a small saddle bag I’ve moved away from them and use a bidon storage bottle on the vast majority of my rides.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

it's as untraditional as you can get and still be recognisably a Carradice.
It's still got a wooden dowel and two leather straps at its heart! :-) And has a label telling me it was made by Emma - I must send her a postcard.
PS I did think about getting the 'neon'variant for about 1 second however the 'camo' jobbie received no consideration at all!
those that I did not choose...
those that I did not choose...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

simonineaston wrote: 15 May 2021, 12:44pm
it's as untraditional as you can get and still be recognisably a Carradice.
It's still got a wooden dowel and two leather straps at its heart! :-) And has a label telling me it was made by Emma - I must send her a postcard.
PS I did think about getting the 'neon'variant for about 1 second however the 'camo' jobbie received no consideration at all!Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 12.40.53.png
I'd have got the camo one, it does seem ironic that nothing actualy stands out more on a,suburban street than camouflage
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 15 May 2021, 12:44pm those that I did not choose...
You haven't mentioned the bright blue version?
Actually, I like that one :shock:
Though it would only match one bike and an miss-matching saddlebag might be harder to accept than the criticism.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thinking about my recent purchase, I've noticed that the 'bag would like to lie at quite an angle (see photo) It's tied to the seatpost, but without any support. Any comments?
stuff in side pockets could drop out...
stuff in side pockets could drop out...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No can/bottle of beer?
No pewter tankard?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

simonineaston wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:49am Thinking about my recent purchase, I've noticed that the 'bag would like to lie at quite an angle (see photo) It's tied to the seatpost, but without any support. Any comments?IMG_2060.JPG
That angle is similar to my carradice. It works fine just be careful with what you stuff in the pockets. I tend to use them for a spare tube and similar bulky items. An uplift helps with the position and is useful if you are carrying heavy weights.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote: 14 May 2021, 4:47pm In my seat pack I carry a gym bag - it doesn't take up much room - I use that if I need to take off a jacket.
Obviously it has to be carried on my back which is anathema for some cyclists.
I carry a folding backpack in my saddlebag. If I put something in it, the straps get put over the saddlebag sideways and tightened, with the bag just resting on the saddlebag support or pannier rack.

I don't see the point in taking a coat off your back and then putting the coat plus a bag on your back. Surely that still makes your back sweaty?

Sometimes my coat goes in the saddlebag. Sometimes it goes in the front basket.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simonineaston wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:49am Thinking about my recent purchase, I've noticed that the 'bag would like to lie at quite an angle (see photo) It's tied to the seatpost, but without any support. Any comments?
It doesn't matter so long as your bag isn't resting on the mudguard, although you don't want the backs of your thighs hitting it.

This is the age-old thing about built-in bagloops. With them, you can use the original Karrimor Uplift or the more recent Carradice version. As the name implies, they raise the bag a bit. With one fitted to your bag - ideally with the straps threaded from inside the bag, round the Uplift then back into the bag to be buckled up. Then, when you want the bag off it's just a matter of undoing the strap around the seatpost - a toestrap is ideal for this. The Uplift can then be used as a handle.

Once upon a time, a lot of lightweight frames had a few twists of cloth bar tape wrapped around the seatstays above the bridge. This was because a wire support fastened with a long bolt and wingnut was a common arrangement.
mjr

Post by mjr »

OK, things in my saddlebag sometimes that I think were not mentioned by anyone yet:
· hand sanitising gel (of course)
· packet of tissues (very useful with the gel to clean crud off if a blue glove in the toolkit tears during a repair)
· merino jumper in a mini compression bag
· folding secateurs
· folding golf umbrella (not always because it's heavy, but good on long stops as a windbreak or sunshade as well as umbrella)
· saddle cover (even though I no longer ride leather saddles - still nicer not to have a wet bum)
· extra luggage strap(s)
· sun block
· insect repellent
· buff (if not worn = summer)
· bluetooth loudspeaker (goes up front if there's a basket or suitable bag or pocket on the bike in use)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
slowster

Post by slowster »

simonineaston wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:49am Thinking about my recent purchase, I've noticed that the 'bag would like to lie at quite an angle (see photo) It's tied to the seatpost, but without any support. Any comments?
If someone has a Brooks saddle (as you do), the Uplift as mentioned by thirdcrank is the best option. They've made slight tweaks to the design with the modern version, which make it just that bit better than the original. It comes with a webbing strap and fastex type buckle, which eliminate any need for a toestrap.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

No mention yet of carrying spare cables. Is it just me?

I have an ability to break cables in remote locations or be with folk who do. Coiled cables take next to no space & weigh nothing so why not carry a spare brake & a gear cable in your saddlebag?

On second thoughts, it probably IS just me!
geomannie
mjr

Post by mjr »

geomannie wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 9:32pm I have an ability to break cables in remote locations or be with folk who do. Coiled cables take next to no space & weigh nothing so why not carry a spare brake & a gear cable in your saddlebag?
Different bikes require different cables, plus some (most?) need cable cutters when fitting them. I figure that if a brake cable snaps, I still have another brake (plus feet!) and if a gear cable snaps, then I'll limp home or to a shop as single-speed. I sometimes carry spare cables on tours where time is a bit tight for limping to shops, but that has been it. I only remember limping home as single-speed twice and one of those was after a car had crashed into my shifter, rather than the cable snapping!