Saddlebag! What goes in it?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Saddlebag! What goes in it?

Post by simonineaston »

So, I just bought something I never thought I'd get - a traditional saddlebag... in my mind they're associated with old Raleigh roadsters, with huge wheels, a saggy leather saddle, Sturmey Archer gears and one of those tubes for popping batteries for the lights in. I bought a Carradice Audax Lightweight and very nice it is too!
So my question for you to mull over today is this: If you had a nice 9 litre saddlebag on your bike, what would you put in it, when you went out for a long day-ride?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Re: Saddlebag! What goes in it?

Post by ANTONISH »

IME too much.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's the one wot I used to have. Nelson Carradice if my memory serves me correctly.
Rowardennan Late 1991.jpg
Used it when commuting to work.
In it was spare tubes and tyre levers, a waterproof top, and my lunch in a Tupperwear box. Spare batteries too when I had battery lights - later a BB dynamo (excellent Soubitez, but that's the subject of other threads!).

The Maddison G14 saddle didn't have loops, so I made an alu unit with slots and clamped it to the saddle-rails. I took the unit off and chucked it away when I gave away that saddle. I wish I hadn't, coz it would fit on my Brooks just the same as it did on the Maddison.

The photo is from a ride out from Glasgow where I was living in digs there for a year. Rowardennan is on the eastern shore of Loch Lomond.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowardennan
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have one - with my old Raleigh! Waterproof, fleece, lunch, sometime a book, binoculars.....
John
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:23am I have one - with my old Raleigh! Waterproof, fleece, lunch, sometime a book, binoculars.....
I rest my case. :)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Apart from the main compartment, it's got 5 small pockets so I'm definitely thinking:
* packet of salted peanuts
* packet of fruit & nut mix
* an apple and a banana
* packet of oat cakes
* a couple of choccie bars
:D :D :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

ImageIMG_1567 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Waterproof / old cycling cape, in the loops at the top'
left pocket, tool pouch, glasses in a tube case type thing, spare brake pads, disposable gloves, hand wipes (kebab shop)
Right pocket, spare tube, plus spare unopened tube repair kit, just in case my opened one has withered.
Main compartment, zip ties, gillet, resident choc bar/s, head torch, lock, room for spare clothing on/off, plus whatever I find on a ride.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

yostumpy wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:53am ImageIMG_1567 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Waterproof / old cycling cape, in the loops at the top'
left pocket, tool pouch, glasses in a tube case type thing, spare brake pads, disposable gloves, hand wipes (kebab shop)
Right pocket, spare tube, plus spare unopened tube repair kit, just in case my opened one has withered.
Main compartment, zip ties, gillet, resident choc bar/s, head torch, lock, room for spare clothing on/off, plus whatever I find on a ride.
Looks about right.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

209A60AC-A9D5-4D11-A0B6-7692C3D12E58.jpeg
John
slowster

Post by slowster »

In the bottom of my saddlebag are the two small sheathed picnic knives in the link below. Despite the ubiquity of ready made sandwiches in supermarkets and elsewhere, I prefer to buy some bread and something to have with it or in it (on which note the D rings on top of a Carradice saddlebag are perfect for carrying a long baguette with a couple of toe straps).

Similarly I have one of the disposable plastic spoons or sporks that supermarkets give away with their takeaway foods. Instead of disposing of them, I keep them and re-use them when I buy something like a yoghurt or kiwi fruit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rikon-Colori-N ... 00T34U9HS/
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

simonineaston wrote: 13 May 2021, 8:54am So, I just bought something I never thought I'd get - a traditional saddlebag... in my mind they're associated with old Raleigh roadsters, with huge wheels, a saggy leather saddle, Sturmey Archer gears and one of those tubes for popping batteries for the lights in. I bought a Carradice Audax Lightweight and very nice it is too!
So my question for you to mull over today is this: If you had a nice 9 litre saddlebag on your bike, what would you put in it, when you went out for a long day-ride?
They seem to suffer from car boot syndrome, that is the more space you have the more stuff you fill it with

As I currently only cycle with what can fit in my pocket , it's safe to assume that anything else is 9 litres of over kill
If I could develop the discipline not to carry my home round in it, then going out with it nearly empty, so I have some where to stow clothing when it turns out to be 20 degrees warmer than I anticipated and some where to stow mid ride purchases, it does get a bit tiresome cycling with carrier bags on my handle bars
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:14am

They seem to suffer from car boot syndrome, that is the more space you have the more stuff you fill it with

As I currently only cycle with what can fit in my pocket , it's safe to assume that anything else is 9 litres of over kill
If I could develop the discipline not to carry my home round in it, then going out with it nearly empty, so I have some where to stow clothing when it turns out to be 20 degrees warmer than I anticipated and some where to stow mid ride purchases, it does get a bit tiresome cycling with carrier bags on my handle bars
In my seat pack I carry a gym bag - it doesn't take up much room - I use that if I need to take off a jacket.
Obviously it has to be carried on my back which is anathema for some cyclists.
I'm not sure if you are serious about the carrier bags on your handlebars.
I agree that more space is not necessarily a good thing.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

ANTONISH wrote: 14 May 2021, 4:47pm
jo' bo wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:14am

In my seat pack I carry a gym bag - it doesn't take up much room - I use that if I need to take off a jacket.
Obviously it has to be carried on my back which is anathema for some cyclists.
I'm not sure if you are serious about the carrier bags on your handlebars.
I agree that more space is not necessarily a good thing.
Unfortunely so, I've just returned from my cycle to the woods ,diverting to farm food on the way home, to do the last three miles with a 20lb shopping bag on each bar end, which is actually better than just having one 20lb bag on one side, as at least the bike goes in a straight line

Just to add I also have a, 15lb dog in a carrier on my back, so all in all the weight of a small car
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

simonineaston wrote: 13 May 2021, 8:54am So, I just bought something I never thought I'd get - a traditional saddlebag... in my mind they're associated with old Raleigh roadsters, with huge wheels, a saggy leather saddle, Sturmey Archer gears and one of those tubes for popping batteries for the lights in. I bought a Carradice Audax Lightweight and very nice it is too!
🤣 Don't mock it until you try it, not many modern bicycles will be about in 70 plus years.
Small tool kit etc in mine, few pounds if need something from town but low enough if stolen not mortified
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Off out riding soon.
Seatpost bag on the back of Moulton.

Two CO2 canisters and a Lezyne connector
Two inner tubes
Set of three tyre levers
Multitool
15mm spanner for the rear wheel-nuts
Covid mask