Farce boek, whotsapp: Why, why not?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Farce boek, whotsapp: Why, why not?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My gardening chums have invited me to join a w.a. group but I baulked at the log in, I am invited to allow wa access to my address book etc etc. Is there a way to get round this? Does anyone avoid fb/wa like the plague? Does anyone use them without qualms? What are the alternatives?

I deliberately spelled the names so in the hope of avoiding the data-gathering oktopis
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonineaston

Re: Farce boek, whotsapp: Why, why not?

Post by simonineaston »

I've found sundry WosApp groups really useful in terms of fast-developing social situations (expressly, restaurant table bookings, or Sunday rides, walks etc...) - I totally get it, and completely couldn't care less whether the Russians or Amazon or Google or whoever, are scraping my data. All modern life is now, more or less, controlled at the group level by algorithms - that horse sidled niftily out of the stable and cantered off down the lane years ago. That's how it is - see for example here . Might as well just go with the flow until the revolution...
Last edited by simonineaston on 13 May 2021, 4:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

1 I prefer Signal to WhatsApp. I generally don't allow other programs access to my Address Book, but I don't know the details of the change to WhatsApp's privacy policy.

2 I care enormously about who's gathering data about me. Fortunately the legislation is improving and the regulator is trying hard.

3 All suppliers are not equal. The Apple business model depends neither on advertising nor on selling information about users to others.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 13 May 2021, 2:04pmI am invited to allow wa access to my address book etc etc. Is there a way to get round this?
As above.

But if it won't work without that access please could you add what sort of device and what OS so that we can help with options.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jdsk wrote: 13 May 2021, 3:51pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 13 May 2021, 2:04pmI am invited to allow wa access to my address book etc etc. Is there a way to get round this?
As above.

But if it won't work without that access please could you add what sort of device and what OS so that we can help with options.

Jonathan
I have an old number registered on WA, and it has no access to my contacts. It is likely to get deleted given the current insistence on linking with faecebook.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

If you have a 'smartphone' what is WhatsApp going to know about you that is not already known :roll:
I really don't get why people carry a tracking device then worry about certain Apps tracking them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everything is tracked on your phone!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 13 May 2021, 2:56pm....- I totally get it, and completely couldn't care less whether the Russians or Amazon or Google or whoever, are scraping my data.....
But what about all those other people in your address book who do care and have not agreed to you sharing their data for Facebook's profits.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:15am If you have a 'smartphone' what is WhatsApp going to know about you that is not already known :roll:
I really don't get why people carry a tracking device then worry about certain Apps tracking them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everything is tracked on your phone!
I have a smartphone and WhatsApp knows nothing about me (in fact it's worse as the information they do have about me is completely false).

What is tracked is not the only question but also who is collecting that info, what they are doing with it any who they are giving or leaking it to e.g.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/hackers-facebook-phone-number-bot-b1792408.html wrote:A database of phone numbers belonging to Facebook users is being sold on a cybercriminal forum, with customers looking up numbers using a Telegram bot.
Ian
Ride-sleep-repeat

Psamathe wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:21am What is tracked is not the only question but also who is collecting that info, what they are doing with it any who they are giving or leaking it to
Well for a start the phone manufacturer,network provider,whoever owns the satellites(US Govt?).It's the same with built in Satnavs in vehicles.Whether you're using it or not it's tracking where the vehicle is/has been.
Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 May 2021, 5:27pm
Jdsk wrote: 13 May 2021, 3:51pm
As above.

Jonathan
I have an old number registered on WA, and it has no access to my contacts. It is likely to get deleted given the current insistence on linking with faecebook.
I've been using Signal for sometime and have been surprised by the number of people who are switching - people I thought totally disregarded "privacy" but who have now also closed down their Facebook pages. It works well for messages and voice calls (not even investigated group features).

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

But what about all those other people in your address book who do care and have not agreed to you sharing their data for Facebook's profits.
They can go with the flow, like most of us do, or else buck the trend, do the research, get their heads round the risks and act accordingly - and should they feel so inclined, message me to tell me about their findings and warn me of the potential pitfalls... :wink:
Don't get me wrong - I'm totally sold on the idea that forces are in play that do not have individuals' best interests at heart - see here - however, almost by definition there is little we can do about it and like climate change, the die is cast, all is lost and we are heading for a very rough ride.
I'm off for a nice bicycle ride :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:32am
Psamathe wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:21am What is tracked is not the only question but also who is collecting that info, what they are doing with it any who they are giving or leaking it to
Well for a start the phone manufacturer,network provider,whoever owns the satellites(US Govt?).It's the same with built in Satnavs in vehicles.Whether you're using it or not it's tracking where the vehicle is/has been.
Assuming your allegations are correct (though I've disabled things like Apple tracking), do the US Government or phone manufacturers sell or leak your personal details and details of your contacts to 3rd parties and hackers?

Collecting data costs money so companies have to be able to see a return on those costs and where there is not the return they wont bother - they are interested in profit not knowing details about you and incurring the costs that entails.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:35am
They can go with the flow, like most of us do, or else buck the trend, do the research, get their heads round the risks and act accordingly - and should they feel so inclined, message me to tell me about their findings and warn me of the potential pitfalls... :wink:
Don't get me wrong - I'm totally sold on the idea that forces are in play that do not have individuals' best interests at heart - see here - however, almost by definition there is little we can do about it and like climate change, the die is cast, all is lost and we are heading for a very rough ride.
I'm off for a nice bicycle ride :-)
But have all your contacts agreed for you to give their details to Zukenberg? If not, how do you justify obliging them without their permission or knowledge to be open to the hacks, leaks and 3rd party access that Facebook suffers?

Ian
Ride-sleep-repeat

Psamathe wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:38am
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:32am
Assuming your allegations are correct (though I've disabled things like Apple tracking), do the US Government or phone manufacturers sell or leak your personal details and details of your contacts to 3rd parties and hackers?

Collecting data costs money so companies have to be able to see a return on those costs and where there is not the return they wont bother - they are interested in profit not knowing details about you and incurring the costs that entails.

Ian
I have no idea and TBH don't really think about it or care.They aren't really allegations they're well known facts!
All text messages for instance are stored and have been for years.
As for the costs are there any?Once a program is set up,on your phone network for example,the computer does the rest.
These things are beyond the average person but easy enough for Tech giants etc.
We've had conversations at work/home then gone on Facebook etc and there's a product on your feed that you've talked about.It's everywhere.If you have a Smartphone you are not alone :wink:
Wasn't there a scandal a few years ago about Samsung Smart TVs watching households through the built in camera?
I'm writing this on my laptop.For all I know someone could be watching me through it's webcam!?
Didn't they catch Gary Glitter because he had stuff on his PC that he had 'deleted' but it was stored deep in the HD?
It's been going on for years the only way to be sure you are really 'anonymous' is to have no electronic devices whatsover.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Why Signal's privacy model is preferable to WhatsApp's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_%2 ... 9#Security
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reception ... y_features

And tomorrow is 15 May 2021.

Jonathan