Bad backs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ratherbeintobago

Bad backs

Post by ratherbeintobago »

It’s miserable, isn’t it? Pulled something at work, decided to brazen it out, now having physio. Worst thing about it is the constant sciatic ache and the inability to get comfortable…
Jdsk

Re: Bad backs

Post by Jdsk »

Yes. The nastiness of this is often underestimated by people who haven't suffered it... yet.

It's an enormous economic issue, and research is notoriously underfunded.

You might already have a guide to the evidence from your physiotherapist, but let me know if you'd like some pointers.

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

So far as I know the evidence is do the stretches the physio gives me and keep moving?

This is my second time round the buoy - put it out three years ago lifting a reluctant seven year old. It got better eventually, with physio and time. Last time I didn’t have the constant discomfort though (but I couldn’t ride my bike, whereas this time I reckon I could).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's a bit more than that!

https://www.cochrane.org/search/site/%22back%20pain%22

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

😬

There’s loads there, isn’t there? What’s your recommendation?
ossie

Post by ossie »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:42pm It’s miserable, isn’t it? Pulled something at work, decided to brazen it out, now having physio. Worst thing about it is the constant sciatic ache and the inability to get comfortable…
The 'pulled something' may be something serious like a prolapsed disc. I speak from experience after two back operations. If it happened at work report it without fail, make notes and look at your job risk assessment - I lost a career.

My big mistake was having physio too early as no amount of physio was ever going to heal it, the opposite actually. After an MRI scan they at least knew what they were dealing with and only a surgeon could sort it.

Best of luck, hopefully it will sort itself, most do.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I, very occasionally, have sharp twinges across my lower back that blessedly last only seconds, but boy do they hurt. Lord knows what they are or what I'd ever do if they persisted...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:56pmThere’s loads there, isn’t there? What’s your recommendation?
Yes, there is.

I think that physiotherapists give good advice. But I also think that it's a good idea for patients to become experts in their own conditions. Cochrane Reviews are a superb source, and it's smart and quick to read the short plain language summaries first.

However you're probably about to get a lot of advice on interventions because "it worked for me". Then the Reviews become particularly useful in checking what's known and what isn't.

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

Sciatica is a big clue I would suggest.

Usually it's the contents of a ruptured disc pressing on the sciatic nerve.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2021, 9:04pm

However you're probably about to get a lot of advice on interventions because "it worked for me".
Jonathan
So here is some indeed:

I go to my chiropractor two or three times a year (whether or not I have a bad back). I don't have a bad back. He recommends once per month and charges £35.00 per session (which lasts about 15 minutes). If I had more time and money I would go once a month. I make do with 2 - 3 times a year.

Twice in my life I had back pain bad enough to be unable to get off the bed. Both times, I was helped firstly to get to an osteopath and secondly to a chiropractor. Both times I was better within days.

So, yes, it worked for me. This isn't to say that my condition was the same or as serious as that of the OP or that chiropractic would definitely help. But my experience of (or self-delusion regarding) chiropractic and my willingness to seek help from a chiropractor leads me to believe that I will never suffer from back pain again in my life. Unfortunately I have no further experience or knowledge or expertise to add.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I first developed back pain in my 30's. I had check ups but they couldn't pinpoint the cause.
I was told to do exercises to strengthen the back muscles and for me it worked.
If I don't do the exercises for a few days my back starts to give me pain.
One doctor I spoke to said gentle exercise was better for a bad back than just resting. Others have told me to take it easy and lie flat.
For me exercise is best but not for everyone.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have a pain under my left shoulder blade, its been there since 1981 and never stops. I think its a trapped nerve. Couple of visits to Oxford Pain Clinic, but nothing worked. Although it can be extremely painful you get used to it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
horizon

Post by horizon »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 May 2021, 9:37am I have a pain under my left shoulder blade, its been there since 1981 and never stops. I think its a trapped nerve. Couple of visits to Oxford Pain Clinic, but nothing worked. Although it can be extremely painful you get used to it.

Al
I had this last year under my right shoulder blade. Not horrendous but noticeable, all the time. I mentioned it on one of my visits to the chiropractor. He mumbled something about a nerve that runs to the front and did the usual treatment. And then it was gone, and so far hasn't come back.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

horizon wrote: 17 May 2021, 9:49am
al_yrpal wrote: 17 May 2021, 9:37am I have a pain under my left shoulder blade, its been there since 1981 and never stops. I think its a trapped nerve. Couple of visits to Oxford Pain Clinic, but nothing worked. Although it can be extremely painful you get used to it.

Al
I had this last year under my right shoulder blade. Not horrendous but noticeable, all the time. I mentioned it on one of my visits to the chiropractor. He mumbled something about a nerve that runs to the front and did the usual treatment. And then it was gone, and so far hasn't come back.
Unfortunately nothing works like that. When its very bad the associated nerve that runs under the rib and round to the front hurts like hell. 30 years...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Interesting: I'd also agree with the suggestion 'for patients to become experts in their own conditions'.

As someone who's suffered from intermittent disabling lower back pain for 40 yrs or so (I used to play a lot of hockey, and first mildly injured it when undoing a car wheel nut) my eureka moment was reading Robin McKenzie's 'Treat you own back' book. I have spent many hours in his recovery position :roll: and his key idea's regarding posture and mobility for life (ie accept that you now have a potential weak spot, and it's up to you to prevent future flare ups) have been a part of my life ever since. When I got lazy and didn't do the stretches / exercises then trouble soon came calling.

Good luck to the OP in finding your path to pain free.
"42"