DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by thirdcrank »

Re Over 70s losing entitlements, I wonder how much of this has been through their own mistakes. When I was approaching 70, I wasn't bothered about preserving my motorcycle entitlement as I hadn't ridden one since 1972ish and I'd no intention of riding one ever again. Had I still been an active motorcyclist, then I would have made 110% sure about getting the renewal application correct in every detail.

The categories have changed repeatedly over the years: they used to include heavy locomotive and heaven knows. Some entitlements are qualified by the need for other licences. It used to be the case and may still be that somebody who had passed a car driving test could drive a double decker bus, but only privately. I knew somebody who did exactly that driving old buses to rallies. However, to drive a bus with fare paying passengers required the old PSV driver's licence and badge.
th (1).jpg
th (1).jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 884 times
I'm not up-to-date with the current regulations because they don't affect my driving and I'm not involved with enforcement.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm now approaching 76th birthday + eleven months - three months. ie the point at which I assume I will receive a paper renewal application.

I wonder if other over 70s have recent experience of whether the DVLA postal service is working normally with this?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I think it's not too bad if you use the online method.
The last time (79) they asked me to return my old licence - I forgot - it's sitting in front of me in two pieces - I must tidy my desk.
I found being able to use my passport details online simplified things - no need for a photo.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've no passport
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m sure it was on the News earlier today there’s a 5 month delay with paperwork at DVLA. A friend did his online easily but he also had a passport.
I’m like you TC with no passport and not looking forward to the hassle.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 5:23pm I've no passport
Did you not have one when in the police-force?

My first one was when I joined the RN aged 16 (going on 17), and it was kept going throughout my service career of course.
Renewed ever since though I've not used this latest reincarnation.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 7:12pm
thirdcrank wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 5:23pm I've no passport
Did you not have one when in the police-force?

My first one was when I joined the RN aged 16 (going on 17), and it was kept going throughout my service career of course.
Renewed ever since though I've not used this latest reincarnation.
No. (I only went to Cornwall once on duty)

I had a passport from 1958 (school trip to France) which was renewed and covered my time living in France 1963/64. (Perhaps they lasted 5 years in those days.) I had a visitors' passport for a trip to The Netherlands with a junior football team in 1984.

The only practical result of this was that under one historic system, applicants had to get somebody from a list to check the photo. People like GPs charged for this so police officers were a free option. When that changed, you needed a passport holder to do it. On one occasion my next-door neighbour had some sort of emergency where they needed to make an emergency passport application, which involved their driving to an appointment in Liverpool. (?) They were assuming they could come to me for a signature but I couldn't help.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks TC.

Interesting.
I would have been under the illusion that all police officers had passports as part of their "vetting" procedure to being in the police, but I'm obviously wrong.

Is it still the case that to join the police force you don't need a passport?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My passport from 1958 will still have been current in 1967 when I started in the police but I don't remember anybody asking to see it. I've no idea what the entry requirements are now.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I guessed that.
I have no idea what the entry requirements into the RN are now either.

Just surprised that to be in the police, you didn't need a passport.
No doubt your warrant card was enough, eh? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Why would the police need a passport? The navy I can understand, but the police ?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Leeds City Police warrant cards didn't include a photo. They were a natty little leather jobby, reissued with a fresh page stuck in for a new recruit. After amalgamation in 1974 we went onto the existing West Yorkshire system which was based on a polaroid in laminated plastic. By the time I retired the polaroid system had been replaced with digital.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 9:11pm Why would the police need a passport? The navy I can understand, but the police ?
Passports, in my understanding, are an ID system that has been authorised by someone in authority.
They are universally accepted and recognised.

Lighthearted comments here ............. :lol:

If a copper showed me his (fake?) warrant card to attest his position, I would say that I'd never seen a warrant card before and tell him to get lost and get the real police and even dial 999 to get them to attend.

At least if the copper showed me a passport instead, I would know what it should look like.

Lighthearted comment of course! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
millimole

Post by millimole »

You may jest, but I have a family member who is in the final stages of their probationary period as a police officer, and I asked them how I'd know if their warrant card was genuine - "no idea" was the rather worrying reply.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I suppose there's many a true word spoken in jest.

It's a good point though.
I've never seen one, ever.
Mick F. Cornwall