DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tatanab

Re: DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by tatanab »

I have friends who still have only the paper version. There is no compulsion to exchange for a photocard one unless

You must get a new licence if:
you change your address
your licence has been defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed
you change your name - you must apply by post using paper form D1 or D2, you can get them from most Post Offices
you’re getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) driver qualification card (DQC)
If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you do not need to exchange it for a photocard version.

Copied from https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 12:16pm ".... We don't have a TV license but we've paid and the BBC know it, so are licensed. ...."

Just checking my memory here as I worry about every example of losing it. I thought you did have a TVL but you wrote in to complain when they issued it in your name rather than Mrs MickF.
Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 12:34pm TVL arrived in the post just now.
Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

tatanab wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 12:29pm I have friends who still have only the paper version. There is no compulsion to exchange for a photocard one unless

you change your address
you change your name - you must apply by post using paper form D1 or D2, you can get them from most Post Offices
you’re getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) driver qualification card (DQC)
If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you do not need to exchange it for a photocard version.

(My emphasis)
Unlike the Highway Code, which links to what the authors think is the relevant legislation, that link doesn't, which is why I carefully worded my earlier replies. I think there's no regs covering the bit I've highlighted, other than that in a strict interpretation of the requirement to produce a driving licence to the police. As always, I'll be pleased to be corrected with a link to the legislation
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 12:16pm ".... We don't have a TV license but we've paid and the BBC know it, so are licensed. ...."

Just checking my memory here as I worry about every example of losing it. I thought you did have a TVL but you wrote in to complain when they issued it in your name rather than Mrs MickF.
Yep.
You remember correctly.

Mrs Mick F wrote a letter to them in accordance with their rules and instructions and wrote the cheque and put her name and address on the back as requested, but the TVL came in MY NAME, so I sent it back with a snotty letter asking for it to be sent back in HER name as it was her who asked and paid for it.

We heard nothing in reply and still haven't. The cheque has been cashed, and as far as we are concerned, we are licenced to watch live telly and BBC iPlayer.

--------------------------

Been watching Netfix this evening.
Watched Cast Away - Tom Hanks movie. Seen it before, and it's excellent and worth a re-watch.
Without going into the plot or stuff, but at the latter end after getting home, he gets into the car and drives.

Ok or not?

Trouble is, he was pronounced dead whist he was on the desert island for four years plus. His wife remarried and had a child.
He was given a funeral as well!

I know this is fiction and a Hollywood movie, but in the real world (in UK) how does it work legally to drive a car after being pronounced dead?
If you are "dead" .......... surely your entitlement to drive is null and void.
Mick F. Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

As far as I know, if you are dead you can't be prosecuted for any offence anyway :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The posters I've seen say
WANTED Dead or alive.
sjs

Post by sjs »

tatanab wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 12:29pm I have friends who still have only the paper version. There is no compulsion to exchange for a photocard one unless

you change your address

They expire also at age 70.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Mick F wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 8:38am Thread resurrection, but a slightly different question.

Mrs Mick F has lost her cards. Bank contacted and cards blocked, and they'll be sending replacements.
In the little card carrier, were a debit card and a credit card ........... stopped/sorted .............. but her driving licence photocard as well.

She still has the paper part of the license and she is obviously still licenced to drive until her 70th birthday - four years away.
What are the legal implications of not having the photocard?
Is it worth paying DVLA for a replacement?
I think the paper 'counterpart' was done away with as it was initially brought in to record diving offences on and subsequently the lot is online, so that bit is of little use.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You could be right, but that is the licence, not the photocard. The photocard should be renewed every ten years due to your appearance changing, but the paper part is valid until your 70th birthday.

Struck me ealier this morning, that I have TWO photocards. The original was lost, so I ordered another, but months/years later, found the original behind a cupboard. :lol:
It's out of date now as it expired in 2014.

The two of them are different slightly. The newer one in pale pink, nearly white ......... and the older one is pink with wavy lines of foreign words on it. Difficult to photograph the fronts due to giving all my details away.

Mrs Mick F hasn't (yet) contacted DVLA for a replacement. She is wondering if her new one won't have the EU flag.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 11:04pm I think the paper 'counterpart' was done away with as it was initially brought in to record diving offences on and subsequently the lot is online, so that bit is of little use.
You are correct!

Just looked online about DL replacement.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-repl ... ng-licence
You will no longer need the paper counterpart of your licence from 8 June 2015.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 9:39amJust looked online about DL replacement.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-repl ... ng-licence
You will no longer need the paper counterpart of your licence from 8 June 2015.
That's right. As linked in the first reply to your question:
viewtopic.php?p=1651309#p1651309

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 9:28amShe is wondering if her new one won't have the EU flag.
Of course it won't. The UK isn't a Member State anymore.

Have you considered writing in person to ask if it could have the flag of Cornwall?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 8:38am Thread resurrection, but a slightly different question.

Mrs Mick F has lost her cards. Bank contacted and cards blocked, and they'll be sending replacements.
In the little card carrier, were a debit card and a credit card ........... stopped/sorted ..............
Thread resurrection alert x2. :D

Guess what?
The doggie found them.
They somehow found their way underneath the settee, and he saw something under there and moaned and groaned about it, so we had to look.

Given up hope of ever finding them again. Cards stopped and replaced, but DVLA were never contacted.
Mrs Mick F could have sworn blind that she left them in the pub, but no-one on the staff saw them and they searched the whole pub. The cards were never used, even that evening.

All safe and sound, and as the bank cards have been cancelled, they've been cut up and disposed of.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mrs MickF must be feeling very relieved and I'm pleased there's been a happy ending. Most of us have been there
rjb

Post by rjb »

I lost my credit card couple of years ago. Replaced after a call to the bank. Next time I was shopping I casually asked the checkout assistant if I had left my card there. He opened the till and pulled out a stack of cards, at least 50 and started checking through them. Sure enough mine was amongst them. :oops: I was shocked at how many he had in there. But at least they were all honest and not handing them on to other tea leaves. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D