DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
drossall

Re: DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by drossall »

Mick F wrote: 17 May 2021, 4:05pmWe know people -and there must be millions of them like FW - who don't have a photocard driving licence.
I'm some time from needing to renew my licence. However, it's still one of the pink ones.

I keep running into things where people want photo ID. I don't have photo ID. There's none on my licence, my passport has been cancelled/expired, and there's nothing else. They just reply that it's for security. They don't seem to get the idea that you need something that people can actually produce.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's only older people who don't have photo ID these days.

I've had RN identity cards and passports since I joined up aged 16 in 1969.
Mrs Mick F in 1981, when my ship was out in Mombassa for Christmas, came out with other wives and families, so she needed a passport. She was 28 years old then and renewed her passport ever since, and mine has been renewed every time since 1969 too.

We have very good friends locally here same age as us. Neither have photocard driving licenses, though both have a passport ............ but only in the past few years when we went on holiday together.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:00pm It's only older people who don't have photo ID these days.
In the UK?

Ease of showing ID

When we ask about how easy people think it would be to show ID, if it was required at future polls, we see similar results. Most people (91%) say that they would find it easy to show ID if they had to; however:

Voters were more likely to say it would be easy (95%), compared to 88% for non-voters
Those aged below 34 were slightly less likely to say they would find it easy than their older counterparts (84% compared to 93% for 35-44s and 94% for those aged 55+)
BAME respondents were less likely to say it would be easy compared to white electors (87% compared to 92%)

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... experience

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The elephant in the room is that ID systems depend ultimately on reputation. I don't mean good guy / bad guy but who the person is reputed to be. I've lived here since 1975 and there are several households who were already here when we moved in. They only know who I am because I told them, or the neighbours did. When I applied for my new driving licence on the verge of turning 70, I was already on the DVLA computer because in 1977 (?) I replaced my old red booklet also renewable every three years. I had to supply a pic for the new photo licence - which was endorsed by a long-term neighbour to say it was a good likeness - but it says nothing about my true identity.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

bizarre isn't it guess what came through the post this morning. A form D46P Driving licance renewal, the bit I'm interested in is section 2 of the notes
20210519_121803.jpg
so now I'll have to download the relevant forms D2 and D4

we'll see how we go from here.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I really don't know why I'm bothering.
Initial observation looks like form D2 is not a form, could be my error.
D4 is a medical examination for a for HGV licence as was.

I thought it would be quicker to download the forms myself

This is the most spherical testicular obfuscation I have ever come across. ( insert head in hands emoticon)

now resorted to plan B order the pack :roll:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Still not clear to me.

What does "doctor and/or optician" actually mean?

Do they mean that an optician can test your ability to drive?
What about heart and physical ability, medication, medical history?

Yes, an optician can say you can't see clearly enough to drive.
Is that the only criteria?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 19 May 2021, 3:45pm Still not clear to me.

What does "doctor and/or optician" actually mean?

Do they mean that an optician can test your ability to drive?
What about heart and physical ability, medication, medical history?

Yes, an optician can say you can't see clearly enough to drive.
Is that the only criteria?
You can use this service to renew your British driving licence if you’re 70 or over, or will be 70 in the next 90 days, and:

your British licence has expired – or it’s going to expire within 90 days
you’re a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
you meet the minimum eyesight requirement
you aren’t prevented from driving for any reason
Once you reach 70, you must renew every 3 years.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

Jonathan

PS:

Driving while DVLA has your licence
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
you had a valid licence
you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
your application is less than a year old
your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
you’re not currently disqualified
you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Thanks again guys

It's the possible loss of the C1 and D1 that I'm trying to avoid but they don't half make it hard for you to retain it. I have heard of folk who lost it and the DVLA refused to reinstate it, how true that is I don't know maybe a touch of hearsay.

I'll plod on and see where it gets me :? :? :? .com
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Be careful if your license includes riding a motorbike and you want to keep the entitlement.
Quite a lot of older motorcyclists had their motorcycle section missing off their new license. They had no amount of trouble and some even had to re-take their test including an ex-police motorcyclist.
So take a photocopy before sending in your old one. Although even that may not help. :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The renewal of the DL at 70 isn't the issue. That is simple to do, except for retaining your mini bus and large van part.

One thing that's not clear (to me at least) is towing.
We have two daughters, and they passed their driving tests under two separate regimes.
Older girl has a licence exactly like mine, but younger girl isn't allowed to drive a mini bus or a large van, or tow a trailer/caravan.

Towing a trailer, diving a mini bus and a large van requires separate driving tests these days.

Does this therefore mean, that after turning 70 and automatically losing the mini bus and van license, that the trailer/caravan entitlement goes as well?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think the answer is that a driving entitlement is not lost by the introduction of more stringent testing. eg I passed my motorcycle test in the 1960s on a Bantam 175 and was always qualified to ride a motorbike of any size. I didn't bother with any extra paperwork to keep my motorcycle qualification at age 70 but I see I still have A listed which is academic as I've no intention of riding one.

This govt list shows how qualifications are partly based on date of passing test

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

AIUI, the extra requirements for certain vehicle categories at age 70 are an attempt to check that such drivers are still physically up to it. It could be argued that it should apply to all drivers but it doesn't. Most licence-holders are able to self-certify
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks TC.

So she is allowed to drive a mini bus, but only up to eight passengers. Also allowed to tow a light trailer.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

People are qualified to drive in accordance with what's shown on the back of their licence and that table explains the codes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have ten categories on mine.

AM
A
B1
B
C1
D1
BE