Dom puts the boot in...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
slowster

Re: Dom puts the boot in...

Post by slowster »

Recent article on the BBC News website: more than 1 in 10 workers left the hospitality industry last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57241370
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The pay rise data contradicts claims by many mainstream economists before Brexit that migrant labour was not holding down pay. In the run-up to the vote, the Resolution Foundation think-tank argued that a minimal increase would be dwarfed by other forces driving wages down.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -movement/
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cummings, for his own reasons, has decided to present some of the requested 'evidence' on a paid-for newsletter although some of the free-access media have got wind of it... see here Not sure how a chap can carry on regardless, after his boss is revealed as describing him as "totally effing useless" !! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 1:29pm Cummings, for his own reasons, has decided to present some of the requested 'evidence' on a paid-for newsletter although some of the free-access media have got wind of it... see here Not sure how a chap can carry on regardless, after his boss is revealed as describing him as "totally effing useless" !! :lol:
I take this story as not news to most people. For em the two main aspects are:
  • Hancock has regularly and publicly demonstrated how useless he is so we already knew
  • Hancock is crucial to Johnson as a "lightning-rod" - blame for failings deflected to Hancock rather than sticking to Johnson
Ian
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

There's a section in cummings's blog that key decisions had to be moved to others including t&t to Harding.

Obviously t&t went fabulously after that! :lol:
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Another point is that Dominic Cummings is reported to have form for editing his blogs in the light of later developments.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Text of Dom's substack 'revelations' here - splotboiler - it's a looong read - just the job to get the reader off to the land of nod tonight! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 2:30pm Another point is that Dominic Cummings is reported to have form for editing his blogs in the light of later developments.
You and I could go back to goodness knows when on the forum ........... CTC Forum? ........... and edit all our posts.

Where's Beep Beep, Gar, Manx Cat, Albion Lass, Asdace ............. my memory evades me ................. but there's more of them, and all gone. If they came back, they could edit or delete.

We had a member on here, who deleted every single post he'd made.
Sorry, can't remember who. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I miss Manx Cat a lot. :(
One reason I eventually stopped posting was what had happened to Manx Cat.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I mentioned the threat of inflation. It's beginning to rear its head sooner than I anticipated. Emerging from lockdown (is that right?) there's been a sharp increase in earnings. The triple- lock seems likely to increase the state retirement pension by something like 8%. The exact figure won't be calculated till later this year and will then be a long-running news item, at least till next April when the new pension rate takes effect. It's a manifesto commitment but Boris Johnson and chums were warned that this would be a time bomb.

Perhaps we'll have a new index of inflation, based on wishful thinking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Flinders wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 9:36am I miss Manx Cat a lot. :(
I have ridden with Manx Cat, and she was a member of Cycle Seven after she left this forum.
Nice lady.

Patrick Taylor left here and formed Cycle Seven and I posted on the blog many times .................... seems to have gone. :cry:
CycleSeven was a blog with seven of us, but it's gone now and the name has now been used by a completely different website.

Quick search and I found this.
How about this?
search.php?author_id=4167&sr=posts
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Flinders wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 9:36am I miss Manx Cat a lot. :(
MaryJane “Manx Cat” Watson is still active in some of the Audax Facebook groups that I’m a member of. She did recently mention that she experienced some mental health problems about 4 years ago, which stopped her riding her bike for a year. But happily she seems to have recovered and is planning some long distance audax rides in the summer.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Dom's Substack blog (I don't subscribe) has reputedly 4000 subscribers each paying a tenner a month to be first in line to read his fearful utterances.

That's coming on for half a million quid a year. Not bad for a geek!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Slowtwitch wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 7:31pm Dom's Substack blog (I don't subscribe) has reputedly 4000 subscribers each paying a tenner a month to be first in line to read his fearful utterances.

That's coming on for half a million quid a year. Not bad for a geek!
I suspect that as time goes on so the number of subscribers will significantly decline as time since his departure from No 10 makes his inside knowledge less relevant. If Johnson goes (as seems his stated aim) I suspect he'll lose subscribers a lot quicker as he likely does not have "the inside knowledge" of most of those likely to take over.

Ian