Covid as an excuse for poor service

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Covid as an excuse for poor service

Post by reohn2 »

There are currently well over 100 people a day in the UK dying of Covid.
Why is the government acting as if the pandemic is over?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

reohn2 wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 7:50pm There are currently well over 100 people a day in the UK dying of Covid.
Because the death rate is insignificant?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:19am
reohn2 wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 7:50pm There are currently well over 100 people a day in the UK dying of Covid.
Are you saying that you think that it's insignificant, or that you think the government consider it to be insignificant?

Thanks

Jonathan
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:26am
Are you saying that you think that it's insignificant, or that you think the government consider it to be insignificant?

Thanks

Jonathan
Both.
How many die in Britain every day anyway?How many of the 100 quoted would have died anyway?
Do they still mention the number of deaths on the TV news everyday?My impression is that no one is bothered anymore.People rarely mention it now and those that do are usually complaining about it being used as an excuse for something or other.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's always been insignificant to the present government initially due to it's incompetence which has continued,other than the vaccine urgency,to the present day.
We have a situation where something in the region of 120 people a day in the UK are dying from the Covid 19 pandemic and despite pleas from the NHS and scientists,the government refuses to implement restrictions that could reduce that number deamatically.
I can only draw the conclusion that either the government are stupid or don't give a damn about people's lives,but going off their track recod thus far I am forced to believe it's both.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:38pm

Thanks

Jonathan
Both.
How many die in Britain every day anyway?How many of the 100 quoted would have died anyway?
Do they still mention the number of deaths on the TV news everyday?My impression is that no one is bothered anymore.People rarely mention it now and those that do are usually complaining about it being used as an excuse for something or other.
C4 news does seem to be presenting the daily death figures, though I personally think the weekly average would be more useful because of the reporting patterns (lower at weekends?) - and people tend to remember the figures that reinforce they personal views e.g. people wanting end to everything incl end of vaccination will remember the "46 deaths" on a Sunday rather than the far far higher figure the following Wed.

For me the issue is more about "avoidable" deaths. Would similar "how many die in Britain every day?" be asked if one tenth of the death rates were cycling deaths? (not a fair comparison). Although I have no data, what we've previously been told by the Gov. is that mask wearing would significantly reduce that death rate and what is the economic cost or society impacts of mask wearing? When minor changes could reduce the avoidable deaths why are we not doing it?

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:19am Because the death rate is insignificant?
Both.
Thanks.

The current excess deaths are here:
viewtopic.php?p=1647200#p1647200

How it's presented on whatever media anyone chooses is a completely different question from how much harm the outbreak is causing.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:19am Because the death rate is insignificant?
Both.
Cyclist deaths on roads in the UK are about 150/ year. Or about 0.5/ day.

That's a lot lower. Would you also consider that number "insignificant"?

Thanks

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:38pm ....
How many die in Britain every day anyway?How many of the 100 quoted would have died anyway?....
Also worth remembering the vast numbers of people who don't die but have their lives long term devastated from long-Covid (the numbers look pretty horrendous though no "daily/weekly tally"). That is undoubtedly having a significant economic impact though most reports seem to suggest many are having "challenges" getting help from medical services (maybe because of limited resource, maybe because the condition is not understood and has no proved treatments, maybe both, maybe other reasons or reporting "characteristics")

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:38pm How many die in Britain every day anyway?How many of the 100 quoted would have died anyway?
What matters surely is that of those 100+ that die everyday how many needn't have!

I strongly suspect,though I don't know,you may have a different perspective if a loved one very close to you had died unnecessarily from the Covid19 virus.
Or is the 100+ deaths per day a price worth paying for having no restrictions on daily life?

And as Psamathe points out,those who suffer from long Covid can in extrimis probably never recover or those that do may have the lives turned upside down for loss of personal freedom loss of income with all that that entails.
Of course if you're alright Jack they just collateralised numbers......
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:31pm .....Or is the 100+ deaths per day a price worth paying for having no restrictions on daily life?
The thing that I don't like is that some NPIs are really not a restriction on daily life yet we were previously told can have a big reduction on spread e.g. mask wearing to protect others). I do keep repeating myself on this - sorry. In my own mind the only explanation I can dream-up is that it's the ideological madness of a small group of backbenchers preventing even minor rules to avoid infections.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:36pm
reohn2 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:31pm .....Or is the 100+ deaths per day a price worth paying for having no restrictions on daily life?
The thing that I don't like is that some NPIs are really not a restriction on daily life yet we were previously told can have a big reduction on spread e.g. mask wearing to protect others). I do keep repeating myself on this - sorry. In my own mind the only explanation I can dream-up is that it's the ideological madness of a small group of backbenchers preventing even minor rules to avoid infections.

Ian
I agree totally,also worth mentioning is how mask wearing in crowded places stops the spread of Flu,itself a killer if that too can be stopped or reduced to a minimum it's a win win.
It strikes me that some people are so utterly selfish they don't give a damn about anything if it doesn't affect them personally!
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

reohn2 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:41pm It strikes me that some people are so utterly selfish they don't give a damn about anything if it doesn't affect them personally!
That's beyond question, we can even name some (hint, all the front bench of the current government).

For those who have read the Harry Potter series... they're all Slytherin material.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 1:29pm
Both.

Thanks

Jonathan
Death happens.
Cycling/motoring deaths are bound to happen and always will.So yes 150 a year is insignificant when you think about it.
Putting numbers to everything solves nothing.If it’s going to happen it will.
If no one died the planet would be full.
Re someone close to me dying of Covid.She did but in reality she was dead anyway.Covid was just the final step had she not got Covid she wouldn’t have lasted the year anyway.
Why do people always use ‘if it happens to you then you’ll see things differently’ to try to prove a point?Most people don’t see things like that.Maybe it’s an age/generation thing.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 3:31pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 1:29pm
Maillot Rouge wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:38pm Both.

Death happens.
Cycling/motoring deaths are bound to happen and always will.So yes 150 a year is insignificant when you think about it.
Putting numbers to everything solves nothing.If it’s going to happen it will.
If no one died the planet would be full.
Re someone close to me dying of Covid.She did but in reality she was dead anyway.Covid was just the final step had she not got Covid she wouldn’t have lasted the year anyway.
Why do people always use ‘if it happens to you then you’ll see things differently’ to try to prove a point?Most people don’t see things like that.Maybe it’s an age/generation thing.
Thanks.

Many deaths don't have to happen when they do. Much suffering doesn't have to happen when it does.

For me the question is one of cost-effectiveness.

Jonathan