Football

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Football

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ben@Forest wrote: 29 May 2021, 6:12pm
Psamathe wrote: 29 May 2021, 5:15pm But that would not account for fan/spectator travel - but how many do fly to overseas events. I've only known one person who was a 110% committed fan and he would spend a days staying at the UK event, watching all the build-up practice runs, everything from when the teams arrived to after the race; but he never went to an overseas race though financially he could have afforded it (but that's just one person).
That's why I said globally. I'm sure most British F1 fans drive to Silverstone if they're going, but that ain't true for a US fan who lives in Boston when the GP is in Miami, or for Australian fan who lives in Perth when the GP is in Melbourne. And I've known someone here who's flown to see the Indy 500. They had a whole holiday in the US - but it was based around seeing that race.

I went to COTA for the F1, but that's because I was in Austin for work anyway (yes, work did deliberately schedule that to allow people to stay an additional couple of days to go to the F1 race).

To some extent I prefer watching the races on TV, since you get far better coverage, and cycling round the circuits, so you get a feel for them.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I heard on R4 that with the pandemic and the need for quarantine then need two of everyone because of potential quarantine.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's ever been the case that people make pointless journeys for what they deem import. For example the one time head of greenpeace used to jet off round the world doing the environmental campaigning when the technology was good enough for what was called teleconferencing back then.

If the guy who's heading a campaigning group asking people to do less flights, car journeys, cut demand for energy, etc, etc then what hope the football obsessed fan?

PS my business trips went as far as Sweden in winter and Paris once. Paris with your boss is not the trip there you'd plan for yourself. Still free drinks so some good!
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Football is a sport that is better watched in a stadium atmosphere.It is just not the same on TV.The empty grounds of the last 12 months have made it soulless.
If I were a City or Chelsea fan and had not had the opportunity to see them play in a European cup final live I would be so annoyed.It could be a once in a lifetime experience for both fans.
To the fans it’s important,to some it’s the most important thing full stop.
Those that don’t understand how deep the passion runs don’t get it.I’m just a fan who goes every now and then.To my brother and best friend it is their life!
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 6:46am It's ever been the case that people make pointless journeys for what they deem import. For example the one time head of greenpeace used to jet off round the world doing the environmental campaigning when the technology was good enough for what was called teleconferencing back then.

If the guy who's heading a campaigning group asking people to do less flights, car journeys, cut demand for energy, etc, etc then what hope the football obsessed fan?
This is (Covid dependent) still the case. In 2019 l went to a conference about the environment in Sheffield. It was evident amongst the academics that many of them had fairly recently all met at a conference somewhere abroad and many were all meeting again at a conference in the USA in the not too distant future.

There was actually widespread admission of this and some rueful laughter. But it's true that those links, insights and working relationships forged at conferences and seminars are not possible on Zoom meetings.

I have been on a particular advisory committee since late 2019. I know two other members through my work, but l have physically met none of the others. Is my contribution as good as it could have been if we were really meeting? - no. And two other new members were invited onto that committee in 2019 - and l know they think exactly the same thing.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

England v Scotland, Euro2020, June 18th - Glasgow invades London and the third wave is borne.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

most people do not realise that "football" is a scheme invented to keep the masses quiet and divert them away from dissatisfaction with their lives and to stop them from organising revolution - it appears to work it is however not without a sense of humour - eg £65 for a "team shirt"...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 8:49am most people do not realise that "football" is a scheme invented to keep the masses quiet and divert them away from dissatisfaction with their lives and to stop them from organising revolution - it appears to work it is however not without a sense of humour - eg £65 for a "team shirt"...
Well that patently doesn't work, when the short-lived European Super League was launched it took about four days before widespread and vocal opposition, especially from the fans, turned it into a dead duck. It might not be the revolution you're interested in but it was speaking truth to power.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

simply the knee-jerk of the great unwashed, anxious that their soma supply could be compromised...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Not really. Football is just another activity derived from all the other sports through history. Sport is a contrivance to reduce the need for going to war with the other in the next settlement/ tribe. Why see your young and strong die on a battleground when you can see them live after trouncing the others in a stupid physical game?!

Of course the modern era changed things. Now you don't do the proxy fighting on a pitch with a ball you just watch your tribes selected representative's do the physical stuff while you get pi$$ed and talk shoot with your mates. All the while spreading covid for something that we should have evolved out of by now!!!!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I do find spectator sports difficult to appreciate. I've found that if something is interesting enough to watch, I'd rather be doing it and achieving something. Not got on with watching cycling as I'd rather spend the time outside doing it myself; watching sailing I'd rather be out on the water doing it; kayaking far more interesting when you are on the river in a kayak than sitting watching others enjoying themselves doing it.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 1:25pm I do find spectator sports difficult to appreciate. I've found that if something is interesting enough to watch, I'd rather be doing it and achieving something. Not got on with watching cycling as I'd rather spend the time outside doing it myself; watching sailing I'd rather be out on the water doing it; kayaking far more interesting when you are on the river in a kayak than sitting watching others enjoying themselves doing it.

Ian
I quite agree.
Spectator sports are a branch of show business.
Too often being interested in a sport means watching others actually do it.

Ideally one rides up a pass to watch the Tour climb it so much faster.
One of my fun spectating days was watching the Three Peaks Race boats row through the Swellies.
The race is from Barmouth to Fort William, with ascents of Yr Wyddfa, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis.
There is a raft race from Felin Heli to Porth Aethwy which was a gas to follow through there too.
Blunders and shipwrecks on every rock!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I see that today Portugal is no longer on the UK's travel "Green List". Related to a big influx of variant from the UK? Wonder where that all came from?

n.b. I have no evidence for any infection spreading UK to Portugal through football fans - just amazed at how daft it was in middle of a pandemic for so many from UK to fly-out and ignore so many measures designed to stop spread!

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 1:25pm I do find spectator sports difficult to appreciate. I've found that if something is interesting enough to watch, I'd rather be doing it and achieving something. Not got on with watching cycling as I'd rather spend the time outside doing it myself; watching sailing I'd rather be out on the water doing it; kayaking far more interesting when you are on the river in a kayak than sitting watching others enjoying themselves doing it.

Ian
I think watching them is ok when you've already done them and you're recovering. It's nice to have a nice bike ride then come home and have a half hour or hour of highlights from the TdF for example. Doesn't happen some C4 stopped showing the race at suitable times.

As a kid I used to spend summers cycling around the Ribble Valley near where we lived. Several hours in the morning, home for lunch then another 3 plus hours in the afternoon. Then home for dinner and TdF while my jelly legs recovered. We did so much cycling it would leave my legs giving way going down the stairs. Not helped by the 1 in 4 slope that's the easy way up to our house near the top of the hill. Well, you get to the top and then there's often a long undulating hilltop section and a swooping downhill where you do a few miles at up to 40mph!! It's those I'm knackered times that I enjoy watching the sport I've just done.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 6:33pm I see that today Portugal is no longer on the UK's travel "Green List". Related to a big influx of variant from the UK? Wonder where that all came from?

n.b. I have no evidence for any infection spreading UK to Portugal through football fans - just amazed at how daft it was in middle of a pandemic for so many from UK to fly-out and ignore so many measures designed to stop spread!

Ian
It was madness to allow travel and back pedalling on Portugal may be a bit too late to stop the spread.

I've seen it stated the rise in new cases in Portugal is a variant of the Delta variant (Nepalese). I wonder where that came from?