Shadows in the sunshine

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Shadows in the sunshine

Post by Mick F »

Anyone else want to do this?

Here's me, out on the patio, with Percy the cat on the rail.
IMG_0594.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
KTHSullivan

Re: Shadows in the sunshine

Post by KTHSullivan »

Mick F wrote: 31 May 2021, 6:00pm Anyone else want to do this?

Here's me, out on the patio, with Percy the cat on the rail.

IMG_0594.jpg
In a strange way, it somehow reminds me of the shower scene in "Psycho". :shock:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Were you prancing about with no clothes on Mick F?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There was a spot near home where you could get two shadows at 120 degrees apart. Both were defined shadows and one was ever so slightly lighter. First time I'd noticed that effect before.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 31 May 2021, 9:39pm Were you prancing about with no clothes on Mick F?
At that point, I had nothing on but a pair of shorts ........... but not for much longer after that! :D

Photos today, at the Royal Inn at Horsebridge (England).
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.55236 ... 312!8i6656
Me and Sailor went for a long walk along the river to Horsebridge (Horsebridge is the next bridge up from Gunnislake Newbridge - which is the lowest crossing of the river north of Plymouth). Nearly 13miles total walked - up the Cornish side to Horsebridge and back down the English side to cross over Newbridge back into Cornwall and home.

I'm nicely tired now, and Sailor too, and he's solidly fast asleep after his big bowl of food.

Beer in the shade.
IMG_0597.jpg
Doggie under the table.
IMG_0598.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

What long toes you've got!
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Somewhere around Oostende after visiting the excellent Atlantic Wall Museum, November 2019 on the way to the 6 days of Ghent, before the Flanders weather turned on me.

Feet unclipped. They aren't really that big :D

Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's a thing .........

In April, we had frost and extremely dry weather and bright bright sunshine.
I happened to notice whilst walking the dog, than the shadows were perfectly focussed and distinct and clear. The dog-lead was a perfect line.

Yesterday, again dry and sunny, the shadows were "normal" in that they were "soft" and non-focussed.

I can only assume, that it's the moisture in the air that defuses the sun's rays. Obvious really, but the difference between April's and June's shadows was particularly marked.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I was riding near RAF Coningsby one sunny day when I looked up to spot an aircraft flying fairly low.
I noticed that it was headed directly for the sun and it occured to me that its shadow would pass over me.
I think I saw a definite dark flicker whip across the road in the appropriate direction.
Does this seem possible?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I thought this was going to be about the major hazard associated with summer riding - namely descending a fast single track hill with overhanging trees causing dappled shadows which completely obscure the potholes and gravel traps that I really need to avoid :shock:
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Stradageek wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 9:41am I thought this was going to be about the major hazard associated with summer riding - namely descending a fast single track hill with overhanging trees causing dappled shadows which completely obscure the potholes and gravel traps that I really need to avoid :shock:
And for some following drivers who with their shades on may be less likely to see you as you come out of the bright sunshine and disappear into the shadows. Not all drivers have good eyesight.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

August 2008 I was dropping down a long hill on the A390 circa 30mph and hit a deep and wide pothole.
I could have been killed as I slid down the road a good 50yds on my side. Good job I didn't slide onto the other side of the road!

I didn't see that hole as it was in deep shadow and the road was running with water (as usual there) after rain as the stream overflows. Even if it hadn't been deep shadow, I doubt I'd have seen it anyway.

They filled the hole PDQ after my accident but it had, by all accounts, been there for a week and many a car had hit it. I knew nothing about it.

Drove that way on on Monday, and the road is running with water again, and guess what? Another pothole has opened up! Only about a foot across (at the moment) and not in "primary" like mine was.

Just here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.48840 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

7708AC27-8A71-4FAA-85E9-F2191C4EFE0D.jpeg
And do silhouettes count or shall I start a new thread?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yesterday afternoon showing part of the back garden.
Not much sunshine today, so this one is from yesterday.
IMG_0610.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall