Woke

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Woke

Yes totally
6%
Yes maybe
6%
It depends
13%
Maybe not
6%
Can't stand it
38%
What is awoke
13%
Strava
No votes
6%
No votes
I just wanted to vote
13%

Total votes: 16

ClappedOut

Woke

Post by ClappedOut »

There seems to be a narrative "Woke" and my definition is Greta Thunberg who in my opinion is being manipulated and funded by what I believe to be the self entitled vacuous grandiose narcissistic types who blame everyone else & seek to shame others if they won't engage in cult like hype.
Blaming one section of society for historical issues (100+ years) and then wanting compensation for this another example in my personal opinion-Woke.

Re writing history, classic example renaming the dam busters dog or Anne Boleyn as recently portrayed are historically incorrect without explanation of a different period in history with less enlightened views.

Now my opinion is the woke brigade are like a teenager stamping their feet and should be left to whine on to anyone who can be bothered to listen.

I'm old fashioned another 20-50 years I'll be dead and gone and zero influence in world events so don't let it worry me.

Feel free to discuss and give an opinion, we may agree or disagree or agree to disagree or I could be completely wrong and need it explained :lol: or need saving from myself :lol:
Last edited by ClappedOut on 5 Jun 2021, 10:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Re: Woke

Post by Oldjohnw »

What is the question?
John
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 2:26am What is the question?
Your definition of WOKE?
Are you Woke?
Have I misunderstood what woke is?
Is woke a good or bad thing?
Does Woke have graduations from concerned to rabid agenda?
Is woke like a club or a religion or political affiliate.

Locally seems there are more and more "Woke" people who find it popular or like to chastise others.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke
aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

I wondered what woke meant. Now I know.

I thought the use of a black woman to portray Ann Boleyn was curious (as AB was white) but then I reasoned that the piece is a drama and in drama you can play with facts to create effects. For me the sight of a beautiful black face (in the trailer) made me think about Ann Boleyn again, about her situation, her predicament. And we all know Ann Boleyn was white, so nobody is being conned. I didn't watch it, but the actress got good reviews so perhaps she was just the best person for the job. In the end I decided that a black person playing a white person from history is okay, so long as folk don't get too confused about racial separation in those times.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 6:43am I wondered what woke meant. Now I know.

I thought the use of a black woman to portray Ann Boleyn was curious (as AB was white) but then I reasoned that the piece is a drama and in drama you can play with facts to create effects. For me the sight of a beautiful black face (in the trailer) made me think about Ann Boleyn again, about her situation, her predicament. And we all know Ann Boleyn was white, so nobody is being conned. I didn't watch it, but the actress got good reviews so perhaps she was just the best person for the job. In the end I decided that a black person playing a white person from history is okay, so long as folk don't get too confused about racial separation in those times.
There have been plenty of white Othellos without remark.
Until recently they used to black up.
olivier as othello.jpg
olivier as othello.jpg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 749 times
Last edited by Mike Sales on 5 Jun 2021, 9:36am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

North Africans drowned on the Mary Rose.
There were probably black Roman soldiers on Hadrian's Wall.
Many of us white Britons might well have a black ancestor.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Mike Sales wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 8:31am

There have been plenty of white Othellos without remark.
Until recently they used to black up.
My concern is we seem to have a swing from one form of political correctness / racism to another and the attempts at shaming people into submission or censorship if they don't agree should be seen as a warning sign of an extremism.

On the discussion of coloured / Blacking up-what would happen I wonder if Martin Luther King was played by a combination of say
Spanish, Mexican, Greek, Middle Eastern, European, African with a message of everyone equal based on race and skin colour.

A man I would have a drink with
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Please could "42" be added to the list of options? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Your definition of WOKE?
Aha! I know what "woke" is! It's the wellow part of an egg....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

ClappedOut wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 1:45am Re writing history, classic example renaming the dam busters dog or Anne Boleyn as recently portrayed are historically incorrect without explanation of a different period in history with less enlightened views.
If it's not on Strava it didn't happen!
:wink:
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

661-Pete wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 9:31am
Please could "42" be added to the list of options? :lol:
Not sure on significance but why not explain 42
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
ClappedOut wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 1:45am There seems to be a narrative "Woke" and my definition is Greta Thunberg who in my opinion is being manipulated and funded by what I believe to be the self entitled vacuous grandiose narcissistic types who blame everyone else & seek to shame others if they won't engage in cult like hype.
Blaming one section of society for historical issues (100+ years) and then wanting compensation for this another example in my personal opinion-Woke.

Re writing history, classic example renaming the dam busters dog or Anne Boleyn as recently portrayed are historically incorrect without explanation of a different period in history with less enlightened views.

Now my opinion is the woke brigade are like a teenager stamping their feet and should be left to whine on to anyone who can be bothered to listen.

I'm old fashioned another 20-50 years I'll be dead and gone and zero influence in world events so don't let it worry me.

Feel free to discuss and give an opinion, we may agree or disagree or agree to disagree or I could be completely wrong and need it explained :lol: or need saving from myself :lol:
The only thing I can say or add to that is good job that man! (Or women)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PH

Post by PH »

Woke - I've only ever heard the word used as a put down, when the user hasn't given much thought to it or bothered to come up with any reasoned argument. IMO it more defines the user than those used against.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 3:14am https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke
aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice
Or-https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... glish/woke
"She urged young black people to stay woke.
disapproving He said that many of these so-called woke individuals never actually engage with the marginalized groups they claim to defend."

Sounds to me a bit like it's a racial thing?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.