Batley and Spen By-Election

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Batley and Spen By-Election

Post by thirdcrank »

With three weeks to go, does anybody fancy a punt on the Batley and Spen By-Election?

With a field of something like sixteen candidates there's scope for a flutter. The likes of George Galloway are unpredictable.

The bookies have the Tories as odds-on winners, but you can get 200-1 on the Heavy Woollen District Independents whose candidate finished a respectable third in the last general election with 5,000+ votes IIRC. AIUI, They are UKIP but with trouble-at-t'mill overtones.

Best hold onto your £££ because they are not fielding a candidate.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/br ... ion-winner
mjr

Re: Batley and Spen By-Election

Post by mjr »

Is that the constituency of Jo Cox, the MP murdered by a Britain First supporter? If so, it seems a bit depressing if the right-lurching Tories are favourites. Has the candidate at least condemned BF?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 12:11pm Is that the constituency of Jo Cox, the MP murdered by a Britain First supporter? If so, it seems a bit depressing if the right-lurching Tories are favourites. Has the candidate at least condemned BF?
It is that constituency and the Labour candidate is her sister, Kim Leadbeater. I haven't all the info about all the candidates to hand. There's a list here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-57391176

The Tory candidate is Ryan Stephenson and here's his spiel

https://www.ryanstephenson.co.uk/about-ryan-stephenson
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Yes, and the Green Candidate has got himself caught in the "Offensive Social Media Comments" storm, not very timely for him?
No, it will be a shoe in for Jo Cox's sister. I make no comment. MM
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

merseymouth wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 4:18pm Yes, and the Green Candidate has got himself caught in the "Offensive Social Media Comments" storm, not very timely for him?
If there's the faintest suggestion of a stick to bash the Greens with, someone will wield it, for sure! :evil:

I should perhaps point out that the candidate in question, Ross Peltier, who is a Rugby League forward, has apologised for the historic tweets, made as a teenager, and withdrawn his candidacy. The Greens are, perhaps wisely in this instance, not fielding a replacement. More effort is being focused on the Chesham and Amersham by-election, where the potentially damaging effect of the HS2 drilling is a significant local issue which the Greens are pursuing vigorously.

Watch this space....
merseymouth wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 4:18pm I make no comment.
You just did! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Not Really Pete?
If I have a comment about the gentleman in question it would be to support him after being got at for a silly form of action in his younger years!
Had it involved a criminal act the conviction would have been declared spent by now? Another example of "Virtue Signalling", a sick modern obsession. Now that is a comment! MM
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

merseymouth wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 4:18pm No, it will be a shoe in for Jo Cox's sister. I make no comment. MM
Well it was only a 3,500 majority in 2019 and it seems the choice of Leadbeater as Labour candidate is trying to plumb the sympathy vote.

She may do it but Batley and Spen did vote Brexit and she's been trying to downplay her Remain vote. It seems to me that Labour isn't learning the lesson of the Hartlepool by-election, choosing a Remain supporter may not be the wisest choice.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't know what MM is using it for, but the expression "virtue signalling" is now recognised as another term of abuse levelled by far-right-wingers against their opponents (i.e. everyone else). A bit like "woke" and "snowflake". I guess they have others up their sleeve....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hey Pete, Cut out the "Right Wingers" Crepe! The Virtue Signalling was mentioned because right not some folk are dragging up ancient social media comment to muddy various waters.
They should accept the basic fact that many folk have said and done wrong things in their past, especially when younger.
Some have had "Pauline Conversions", then tried to distance themselves from their shameful deeds, Indeed how many politicians have crossed the floor, sometimes even more than one?
But right now it is the unwise or otherwise tweets & texts that is grabbing the news.
So, don't get back to the name calling, it is an unworthy contribution to reasonable debate. MM
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Is it not more important to know what someone is saying and how there acting now than when they were young and immature? How far back to go before you can treat comments and actions as ancient history worthy only if forgetting?

Are any of you exactly the same person as when you were late teens, early twenties? In both outlook, mind and body we're all different. Certainly I am.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Another thread in the gutter looking up at the drains
NUKe

Post by mjr »

Ben@Forest wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 6:55pm She may do it but Batley and Spen did vote Brexit and she's been trying to downplay her Remain vote. It seems to me that Labour isn't learning the lesson of the Hartlepool by-election, choosing a Remain supporter may not be the wisest choice.
Yes, much better to give in to Thomas Mair, eh?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NUKe wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 12:02am Another thread in the gutter looking up at the drains
Indeed! Let's turn this whole thread into yet another Brexit v. non-Brexit debate, and make life a misery for Vorpal! :twisted: It's not as if the whole Brex*it palaver ain't in deep trouble* as things are!

(I was about to type a shorter word than 'trouble' but I desisted)...
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 9:40am
Ben@Forest wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 6:55pm She may do it but Batley and Spen did vote Brexit and she's been trying to downplay her Remain vote. It seems to me that Labour isn't learning the lesson of the Hartlepool by-election, choosing a Remain supporter may not be the wisest choice.
Yes, much better to give in to Thomas Mair, eh?
It's simply a strategy Labour have chosen. If their strategy had been to choose a known Brexit supporting candidate that wouldn't be giving in to Thomas Mair either.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

661-Pete wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 5:19pm The Greens are, perhaps wisely in this instance, not fielding a replacement. More effort is being focused on the Chesham and Amersham by-election, where the potentially damaging effect of the HS2 drilling is a significant local issue which the Greens are pursuing vigorously.
Spewing large quantities of misinformation in the process sadly. Very much a battle of the nimbys (or perhaps numbys?) going on in that one.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop