Batley and Spen By-Election

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

Re: Batley and Spen By-Election

Post by horizon »

For me this election was purely and simply about Kier Starmer. Strange forces were at work that determined that a message, loud and clear, should be sent to him. It centred on the curious problem of how to pronounce correctly the winning candidate's name. Leadbeater can be pronounced in many different ways, including Ledbetter, Ledbeater, Leedbeeter and so forth. But there was no doubting that the real message intended for Starmer was Lead Better.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

horizon wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 10:04pm It centred on the curious problem of how to pronounce correctly the winning candidate's name.
As one who fondly remembers watching The Good Life back in the 1970s, I see no problem in how to pronounce 'Leadbeater'... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 10:14pm
horizon wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 10:04pm It centred on the curious problem of how to pronounce correctly the winning candidate's name.
As one who fondly remembers watching The Good Life back in the 1970s, I see no problem in how to pronounce 'Leadbeater'... :lol:
Though the most famous of that ilk was usually called Lead Belly.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

In the list of parts of the human body that we generally don't want to see, the arm-pit comes quite near the top, although clearly not in say the top three...
Pity 'bout the attire... ;-)
Pity 'bout the attire... ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pwa

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 10:04pm For me this election was purely and simply about Kier Starmer. Strange forces were at work that determined that a message, loud and clear, should be sent to him. It centred on the curious problem of how to pronounce correctly the winning candidate's name. Leadbeater can be pronounced in many different ways, including Ledbetter, Ledbeater, Leedbeeter and so forth. But there was no doubting that the real message intended for Starmer was Lead Better.
As with most by-elections, this one was a messy affair for anyone hoping to draw conclusions about how the national parties are doing. If we accept that the vote for the left was split in a way that it wouldn't be in a General Election where a change of government is on offer, the seat looks a safe bet for Labour next time. The Tories did not come close to matching a unified left. The only message I take from this result is that the Tory surge is over.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

simonineaston wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 2:27am In the list of parts of the human body that we generally don't want to see, the arm-pit comes quite near the top, although clearly not in say the top three...TELEMMGLPICT000263051459_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqes9SkLwhb97OmypQXfwaRIX55UGE1-QmdhXTcMmlCx4.jpeg
"We"? On whose behalf are you speaking?

She's perfectly well turned out and presentable, but as usual a man feels it necessary to make a comment on a woman's appearance, which is totally irrelevant to her abilities in her (new) job.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Kim Leadbeater MP seems to me to be exactly how MPs should be. Local, aware of the issues, one of the people, properly representing the people who live around her.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

LancsGirl wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 3:20am
simonineaston wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 2:27am In the list of parts of the human body that we generally don't want to see, the arm-pit comes quite near the top, although clearly not in say the top three...TELEMMGLPICT000263051459_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqes9SkLwhb97OmypQXfwaRIX55UGE1-QmdhXTcMmlCx4.jpeg

She's perfectly well turned out and presentable, but as usual a man feels it necessary to make a comment on a woman's appearance, which is totally irrelevant to her abilities in her (new) job.
+1!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The exposed arm-pit, with the attendant risk of exposure to creased or folded flesh, sweat and hair, is usually considered by poilte society to be best left to the gym or the bathroom. I made no mention at all of the gender of the individual and none was implied, neither was there any reference to their potential to carry out the duties required of them at the House...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

simonineaston wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 7:34am The exposed arm-pit, with the attendant risk of exposure to creased or folded flesh, sweat and hair, is usually considered by poilte society to be best left to the gym or the bathroom.
Really?
I can't say I've ever heard of this!
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Dear Simoneaston, Please return to your Neanderthal cave! If that is the basis which you apply selection when electing someone to represent constituents you should have your franchise removed.
If is triggered my some warped feeling that as a male your opinion is somehow worthy of special consideration then forget it!
The armpit, however hairy, creased or otherwise, presents a far better view than the usually available to view sight offered - "The Brickies Bum"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You don't represent me with your opinion.
As regards to a feminine look that I do find unnecessary is the use of excessive cleavage! That is trading on abuse of female rights by exploitation, satisfy the caveman urge for no worthwhile purpose. But then again my view is mine alone. I won't attribute it to others. MM
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I've seen Kim Leadbetter talk at the Greenbelt festival. She was honest and open about every issue on which she was questioned. She described herself as a bit of a 'mouthy cow', which might help her out in our current political environment.

She got a standing ovation for her work in bringing together all the religious and ethnic groups in her community following the death of her sister.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

LancsGirl wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 3:20am "We"? On whose behalf are you speaking?

+1 from me too: well spoken! I'm glad you said "a man" rather than "men". We're not all like that, I hope!

I was seriously considering 'reporting' S-in-E's post for blatant sexism and misogyny - something which has no place in this forum. But I thought I'd leave it to others. Ms Leadbeater is surely entitled to wear whatever clothing she chooses!? And exposure of the underarm is not a problem, I guess, for the majority of us.
merseymouth wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 8:05am Dear Simoneaston, Please return to your Neanderthal cave!
If S-in-E were to follow your advice, he'd see a lot more hairy armpits - if the stereotypical Neanderthal folk were anything like what they were popularly assumed to be... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The Guardian reported she was met by Omar Sharif at the polling station.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ted-labour

The thought of the image tickled me pink.
On the bare foot of course!
Attachments
image.jpg