Rape oil

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Rape oil

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wonder if the title of this thread could be changed to Oilseed rape.
John
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 1:40pm Am I the only one to think that using the words "rape oil" when it's actually called "rapeseed oil" a bit wrong? Is that pedantic, technically correct completely correct?
After reading some of the OPs other posts I'm inclined to think the thread title is deliberate.
Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 5:34pm I wonder if the title of this thread could be changed to Oilseed rape.
That would possibly be the best thing.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Hellhound wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 6:23pm After reading some of the OPs other posts I'm inclined to think the thread title is deliberate.
I wouldn't know - but I don't think oilseed rape flourishes under bridges.... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Hellhound wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 6:23pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 1:40pm Am I the only one to think that using the words "rape oil" when it's actually called "rapeseed oil" a bit wrong? Is that pedantic, technically correct completely correct?
After reading some of the OPs other posts I'm inclined to think the thread title is deliberate.
Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 5:34pm I wonder if the title of this thread could be changed to Oilseed rape.
Of course rapeseed oil I meant to say oilseed rape. Or whatever it is really called. Just know rape oil isn't right. I think ppl understood my meaning? Lack of sleep and busy/stressful days is my only defence.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Tangled Metal wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 6:38pm
Hellhound wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 6:23pm
Of course rapeseed oil I meant to say oilseed rape. Or whatever it is really called. Just know rape oil isn't right. I think ppl understood my meaning? Lack of sleep and busy/stressful days is my only defence.
I very much doubt anyone was troubled by your nomenclature. Don’t worry.
John
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

PH wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 5:32pm
NUKe wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 1:46pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 7:10am I understood that the particular insecticide used is now/is soon to be banned because of the link with killing bees. It is now obtainable only by DEFRA permission. Without it many farmers will decide it is an uneconomical crop.
I really hope .so. it is a really strong Pollen in terms of my hay fever
Apparently not. I went to my GP with hay-fever type symptoms a couple of years ago (I'm occasionally a mild sufferer) and was told it's something other than the pollen. I didn't get the difference but it's an insect pollinated plant releasing little pollen into the air.
Sorry because your Doctor told you, you were suffering from something different I am wrong about my own allergy?

Even insect Pollenated plants release pollen into the air. And I know when the Rapeseed is out I am going to suffer and I can feel it starting to affect me even before I can see it. In past years my Commute to work was particularly bad. As a couple of local Farms were growing it as a fuel crop. I would not be able to see my eyes would stream that badly. And funnily enough my doctor agrees with me, and prescribes accordingly. Other things I have problems with are Lillies.
NUKe