Rape oil

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Govnor

Rape oil

Post by Govnor »

Seems to be sun flower oil veg oil available, but rape oil seems to be in short supply-is this because of all the changes to diesel?

Remember running on it in an old 405 and it stank of chips, no good in the winter as jelled up.

Our Doris reckons that a cake with Rape oil is 60% less fat compared to butter, seeing as it's only cake talk so far-keen to go along with the plan.
al_yrpal

Re: Rape oil

Post by al_yrpal »

If you look at vegetable oil in supermarkets you will see its actually rapeseed oil. Its the cheapest oil

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Thanks it's first mention of cake in a week, will have a look again. :mrgreen:
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

There is a shortage of rape seed this year, due to a bad weather/bad crop.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Happened to buy some in lidl yesterday so no apparent shortage.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I understood that the particular insecticide used is now/is soon to be banned because of the link with killing bees. It is now obtainable only by DEFRA permission. Without it many farmers will decide it is an uneconomical crop.
John
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 7:10am I understood that the particular insecticide used is now/is soon to be banned because of the link with killing bees. It is now obtainable only by DEFRA permission. Without it many farmers will decide it is an uneconomical crop.
A pesticide believed to kill bees has been authorised for use in England despite an EU-wide ban on its use outdoors two years ago and an explicit government pledge to keep the restrictions.

Following lobbying from the National Farmers’ Union (NFU) and British Sugar, a product containing the neonicotinoid thiamethoxam was sanctioned for emergency use on sugar beet seeds this year because of the threat posed by a virus.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hmm - bees or cake? Difficult...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

simonineaston wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:05am Hmm - bees or cake? Difficult...
Not really - you can either have bees and cake for ever, or an excess of cheap cake whilst we kill off the bees, and then no cake ever.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

https://hillfarmoils.com › recipes › r...
Web results
All-in-one sponge cake | recipes using hillfarm rapeseed oil

We were looking at this one.
Know duck eggs make for a heavier sponge cake.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Often called Canola oil in far away places. That name may have slipped into our fair Isles.
PH

Post by PH »

leftpoole wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:01am
Oldjohnw wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 7:10am I understood that the particular insecticide used is now/is soon to be banned because of the link with killing bees. It is now obtainable only by DEFRA permission. Without it many farmers will decide it is an uneconomical crop.
A pesticide believed to kill bees has been authorised for use in England despite an EU-wide ban on its use outdoors two years ago and an explicit government pledge to keep the restrictions.

Following lobbying from the National Farmers’ Union (NFU) and British Sugar, a product containing the neonicotinoid thiamethoxam was sanctioned for emergency use on sugar beet seeds this year because of the threat posed by a virus.
Yes, but both the EU and the UK can authorise it's use in what they deem to be exceptional circumstances, that was written into the EU regulation.
PH

Post by PH »

Round here, many of the previously yellow fields have turned blue with Flax. Is this being used for oil? How much Rapeseed was? I know both are also used as animal feed, but I don't know the proportion.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Of the two main uses of flax... commercial production of fibre in the UK stopped in around 2004. There might be some produced for craft linen production, and I see occasional attempts to start up again. It's a good fibre for all sorts of interesting products.

Seeds and oil are produced for human consumption, but I I don't think that the volume is very high.

Waste fibre is used for animal bedding etc.

Jonathan

PS: Isn't it it a lovely colour compared to that vulgar yellow stuff? See also mustard.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:41am

PS: Isn't it it a lovely colour compared to that vulgar yellow stuff? See also mustard.
I don't think farmers consult home decor mags before deciding what to plant.
Sweep