I wonder if.......

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: I wonder if.......

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 4:20pm So if football matches are decided by penalties, why not just have penalties instead of all this palaver with 22 grown men kicking a bag of wind about on the grass?
Where would the money come from?
Who would watch or travel from one end of the country to the other to watch 5 kicks, who would sponsor?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Does it really matter?

All the money spent on these people is abhorrent.
I you still want football clubs, make them all local amateur clubs. Give football back to the people and not the mega rich foreign faceless owners.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Anyway, closing down now for the evening.
Off out shortly to spend a few hours with a mate in his back garden for drinkies and nibbles.

Argue amongst yourselves for now! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

But they're considerably more richer than yow Mick f!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 5:33pm Does it really matter?

.............................Give football back to the people and not the mega rich foreign faceless owners.
I can't claim to have been sharing all your views with you on this one Mick, but I certainly agree with the above sentiment..............
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In the USA soccer is a game for girls and fragile kids. Protective mums are known as soccer moms.
American so called football and baseball both result in brief periods of activity and pauses. This gives the tv companies breaks for adverts and gives the crowd opportunities for a dash to the beer or burger window.
America dislikes football because there are no pauses and very few goals. Despite that they are green with envy about the worldwide reach of the Premier league. Like football their sport is all about money

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 8:06am In the USA soccer is a game for girls and fragile kids.

I do love a stereotype!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... occer_team
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 8:06am In the USA soccer is a game for girls and fragile kids.
That reminds me so much of that hilarious 'Notice of Revocation of Independence' which went viral at about the time George W was trying to secure the presidency:
6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies).
I remember that, when a copy was surreptitiously posted on the notice board at work, our then MD (an American, as it happens) was not best pleased and asked for it to be taken down. He was a decent enough guy, but perhaps lacking a sense of humour... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Where else is there a World Series but only one country involved? :D
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Sorry Oldjohnw, I think you will find that Canadians can interlope into the sloggers "World Series"?
Though I do believe the Yanks would worry if Japan was allowed to join in??? TTFN MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 10:08am Sorry Oldjohnw, I think you will find that Canadians can interlope into the sloggers "World Series"?
Though I do believe the Yanks would worry if Japan was allowed to join in??? TTFN MM

Thanks. I didn't realise. Still hardly "world".
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

to the series and one might see improvement! MM * I had to play baseball at school, hated it, rounders without the short skirt.
atoz

Post by atoz »

JohnW wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 11:56pm
Mick F wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 5:33pm Does it really matter?

.............................Give football back to the people and not the mega rich foreign faceless owners.
I can't claim to have been sharing all your views with you on this one Mick, but I certainly agree with the above sentiment..............
Reservations about the beautiful game and how it is run are nothing new, and interestingly have been expressed from time to time by a certain backbench MP called...wait a minute whiile the name comes to mind...oh yes, Jeremy Corbyn. Didn't he used to be some sort of party leader or something? Or was that in a parallel universe, like in Star Trek- lol
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

al_yrpal wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 8:06am In the USA soccer is a game for girls and fragile kids. Protective mums are known as soccer moms.
And their 'Football' is a game for men who are too fragile to play Rugby :lol: :lol:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Tuesday 5pm the next England match.
Mick F?