I wonder if.......

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
slowster

Re: I wonder if.......

Post by slowster »

ossie wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 10:51am I guess I struggled to get my head around the idea that when he thought of Germany he thought of 'wars, jackboots and domination'
He doesn't. What he wrote made it quite clear that he doesn't. Not only have you failed repeatedly to comprehend what he wrote, you also insulted him with your comment "Travel broadens the mind, I suggest you try it but I fear its too late in your case."
ossie

Post by ossie »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:35pm I quite categorically said that when I thought of Germany I did NOT think of wars. You accused me of the exact opposite here:
If that's the case then I have completely misconstrued your post and offer a full apology. I have taken your use of the word without as a conjunction, you've used it quite rightly as a preposition. Bloody Internet, would never happen discussing it in a pub.
slowster wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 1:02pm He doesn't. What he wrote made it quite clear that he doesn't. Not only have you failed repeatedly to comprehend what he wrote, you also insulted him with your comment "Travel broadens the mind, I suggest you try it but I fear its too late in your case."
Yes, he has a full apology slowster.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

ossie wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 1:21pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:35pm I quite categorically said that when I thought of Germany I did NOT think of wars. You accused me of the exact opposite here:
If that's the case then I have completely misconstrued your post and offer a full apology. I have taken your use of the word without as a conjunction, you've used it quite rightly as a preposition. Bloody Internet, would never happen discussing it in a pub.
Thank you for you gracious response. All forgotten. I am as guilty as anyone of misreading. In here we are without the inflexions of voice which enable us to make even jumbled words make sense. Let’s move on.
John
ossie

Post by ossie »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 1:25pm
Thank you for you gracious response. All forgotten. I am as guilty as anyone of misreading. In here we are without the inflexions of voice which enable us to make even jumbled words make sense. Let’s move on.
No worries. I probably need to reflect on some of my posts (hence the previous deletion). I'm not sure if this is tired eyes, small screens, skim reading, general grumpiness or a cumulative effect of outside influences. I've noticed I've developed a bit of an edge on here for some reason, I need to look at that and take a step back. Take care and totally agree, lets move on.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Such self awareness is a rare but good quality. I need it more. I find it too easy to be a curmudgeon on these pages. I suspect it will be a surprise to many here that people who know me in real life think of me as a reasonably nice guy.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Wot John :shock: , You a curmudgeon? I don't believe it :wink: We all get a bit prickly sometimes, even me :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Sometime our grey sponge lets us down, been there, done it, got the incontinence pants! Enjoy the chat. IGICB MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

slowster wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 1:09am
661-Pete wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:12pm Let's just say: please don't refer to a POW camp as a 'concentration camp'. That will upset many people more than it upsets me. In fact, it would upset many Germans more than it does me, if any happen to be reading this forum. OK?
As Ben@Forest has pointed out, some British POWs did end up in a concentration camp. How do you know that MickF's uncle was not one of them?

You seem more concerned with imagining how some hypothetical German might feel who happened to read the post, than with the actual impact on MickF of growing up with an uncle who was "scarred for the rest of his life and never got over it".

Playing the Holocaust card, as you described it, is exactly what you did, and in doing so you made MickF's post - telling us about his uncle's, his own, and his family's experiences - all about you.
Thank you.

I'm out of this subject.
I don't want the arguments.
I know what I know.
End of.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

ossie wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 1:47pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 1:25pm
No worries. I probably need to reflect on some of my posts (hence the previous deletion). I'm not sure if this is tired eyes, small screens, skim reading, general grumpiness or a cumulative effect of outside influences. I've noticed I've developed a bit of an edge on here for some reason, I need to look at that and take a step back. Take care and totally agree, lets move on.
I took a step back a few months back. A feeling the political threads were taking over and the responses becoming more left of centre or further without many people giving the counterpoint. It really to me that first who took a minority view had a job on to try to argue against the majority. I found my mood being affected by the political threads, which seemed to be getting a little nasty. I might have reacted accordingly a few times. So I took a break and then slowly came back. Lurked a bit before posting and kept away from political threads for awhile.

Even now I don't visit certain threads like the Boris mind thread because I can guess the flow of posts I reckon.