I wonder if.......

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: I wonder if.......

Post by Oldjohnw »

I, too, was good at sports. Apart, that is, from rugby, cricket, football, athletics, tennis, hockey, golf.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

WEMBLY TICKETS
England versus Scotland
Friday 18th June 2021
Kick-off 8pm

One of my mates has two spare tickets in a corporate box for the England v Scotland game. He paid £300 each, but he didn’t realise when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid19 rearranged wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It’s at Reading Registry Office, at at 2.30pm
The bride’s name is June, she’s 5ft 4” about 8st quite pretty has her own income and is a really good cook.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Sounds like mick f won't be watching the match on Friday then?
I was a regular in the school football team at Lutley middle school, I played in defence and my best mate always wore the no.8 shirt. He went on to play for Bromsgrove rovers, Shrewsbury Town, Aberdeen, Stoke City and then West Bromwich Albion. Then he went on to manage Stourbridge Town for 15 years!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An interesting example here of the attention paid to footballers:

Ronaldo snub wipes $4bn off Coca-Cola's market value

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... ket-value/
Paulatic wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 9:00pm I went to a football match once. Eldest son aged 11or 12 wanted to go to one. I took him to an under 21 international match at Palmerston Park. Scot v Ned
Wasn’t long before I became an embarrassment because I applauded both sides when I thought they’d played well. Apparently you’ve only to support one side :lol:
Applauding Patrik Schick might have seen you lynched
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 1:16pm An interesting example here of the attention paid to footballers:
Ronaldo snub wipes $4bn off Coca-Cola's market value
Nike,Adidas,Under Armour etc sells billions of £/$/€ on what Football players wear or put their name to.Ditto drinks/supplements etc.That is why to such sponsors they are worth what they get paid.
Ronaldo is highly influential.If he gets kids to drink more water then that isn't a bad thing is it?Interesting that he is neither associated with Coke or any of their rivals so it wasn't a publicity stunt for Pepsi or suchlike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
BBC news channel 231 yesterday morning..... .here's the sports...........

Scotland looses 2:0 .............ball passes inches from goal.......school kids allowed to watch at school............. lots of sad faces...scotlands goalie caught off line miles from goal............2 mins 57 secs

25 seconds talking about the guy who collapsed................... (separate news item bbc, if his heart is scarred then its game over for him!
Premier league test there guys once a year....)

Murray.....will he or won't he ............10 secs

Talk about Euro Rugby starts soon........................22 secs.

All in all what might happen.................and 3 minutes reciting Scotland's losses.........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My point about Ronaldo in the context of a thread suggesting soccer was utterly boring was to suggest that a lot of people do seem to be interested.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 10:45pm Sounds like mick f won't be watching the match on Friday then?
What match was that then?

Who's matching who?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 2:55pm My point about Ronaldo in the context of a thread suggesting soccer was utterly boring was to suggest that a lot of people do seem to be interested.
You don't have to be interested to become aware of such things: the Ronaldo event was all over the news bulletins, and is not really about football itself, but about fame and product placement.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Except that Ronaldo became famous for his football, not his choice of beverage.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:33pm Except that Ronaldo became famous for his football, not his choice of beverage.
But the reason I, and perhaps some others, are interested is the choice of beverage. Though I knew little about the guy (I also gathered that he was playing for Portugal, which I was previously ignorant of), it did catch my attention that a footballer whose name I had heard of and is clearly very famous, did not want to endorse Coca-Cola, and wanted to make the point that water is to be preferred.
Good on him.
Is water a beverage?!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:27pm One of my mates has two spare tickets in a corporate box for the England v Scotland game. He paid £300 each, but he didn’t realise when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid19 rearranged wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.
Not taking you up on this (sorry! :wink: ) but this reminds me of an incident back in my teen years. Some guy, a friend of my parents from overseas (USA I think it was), on a business trip to UK, called on my parents. While he was there he mentioned that he had a complimentary ticket for a certain match but couldn't take it up as he'd be back home by then. He looked at me and asked if I'd like the ticket? I said "no thanks, I'm not really all that interested in football".

The date on the ticket was 30 July 1966, the venue was Wembley. Should I have taken up the offer? :lol:
Last edited by 661-Pete on 16 Jun 2021, 4:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 4:01pmThe date on the ticket was 30 July 1966, the venue was Wembley. Should I have taken up the offer?
Spoiler alert needed?

: - )

Jonathan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 4:02pm
661-Pete wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 4:01pmThe date on the ticket was 30 July 1966, the venue was Wembley. Should I have taken up the offer?
Spoiler alert needed?
Well, nearly 55 years later, I had to check with Wiki....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).