I wonder if.......

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: I wonder if.......

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you are not interested in football the answer must be "no" but it's a pity that there's no simple system for passing on unwanted tickets to genuine supporters. My own 1966 Word Cup Final tale is that I was driving an ice-cream van around Bradford with mixed results.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 4:02pm
661-Pete wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 4:01pmThe date on the ticket was 30 July 1966, the venue was Wembley. Should I have taken up the offer?
Spoiler alert needed?

: - )

Jonathan
I only know that approximate date because my. Mum's cousin was one of those brides who got married that day and after the church ceremony didn't see any of the menfolk all afternoon as they were watching some football game on a tiny B&W TV. Bride to football widow in half an hour.

Of course the groom was an Everton supporter and our side were Liverpool afc. I think back then supporting England team might have been his only chance for supporting a winning team. Wasn't both so means nothing to me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lots of laughs here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back in '66, Dad and me were watching the final on the telly. I was only 13 going on 14.
The final whistle blew, and there was "extra time" and after that, there was "extra extra time" and Dad went into the kitchen to make a cuppa or something.

They think it's all over, but it is now ............... and he missed it.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

England v Scotland tonight at 2000hrs!!
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I would just love it if Scotland won - a bit of luck and a fair wind and we could do it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I imagine my nearest town will be pretty polarised tonight. Half the town will be winners and half not.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pebble wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 8:01am I would just love it if Scotland won - a bit of luck and a fair wind and we could do it.
and a change of goalie perhaps :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 8:12am I imagine my nearest town will be pretty polarised tonight. Half the town will be winners and half not.
The Borders can be an interesting place at moments like his.

I remember the last world cup and the night of England v Croatia. I was so looking forward to this game and to see England win, but it was a beautiful evening so the bike had to come first, I set the video to record the game and would watch the match I got back.

As sods law goes, just as I was going past the pub in westuther (you will know it john)
https://goo.gl/maps/RTBBy2UFjuuaj4Eh6
It was clear from the noise from the tele inside the Pub that the football was on and a goal had just been scored, there was no cheering and someone with a heavy scottish accent in very disappointed tones said "I new that was going to happen"
So for the rest of my ride I couldn't figure if that was England scoring or Croatia, it really could have been either.

Anyway it turns out it must have been Croatia scoring the equaliser in the second half so the pub must have supporting England.

So I did get to enjoy the game - until we lost it in extra time.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

No goals at half time!
Mick F........you've missed nowt!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I must say that I think the rules of football should be changed.
What enjoyment or what justification is there in all that buildup and money and expectation only to have a nil nil draw!
Someone suggested larger goals?
I think may be a sin bin and other methods of scoring more goals with transform the game.
At least with the rugby and tennis and other sports the lead too's and fro's to add more excitement to watching.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A wonderful moment on the Scotland Outdoors radio Scotland programme this morning.

The presenter could hardly contain his joy as he said, "Scotland thrashed England when they drew nil nil."
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 9:24am Hi,
I must say that I think the rules of football should be changed.
What enjoyment or what justification is there in all that buildup and money and expectation only to have a nil nil draw!
Back in the olden days, boxing matches just carried on round after round until someone gave up or was knocked out. Some matches went on for 50 rounds or more.

Why don't football matches just play and play and play?
What's wrong with the idea that the first team to score is the winner?

What I can't understand though, is that the first team to score should just keep the ball for the rest of the match. If the other side can't get at it, they can't score. Why don't the players just stand in a tight circle round the ball?
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 10:25am Why don't football matches just play and play and play?
What's wrong with the idea that the first team to score is the winner?
Because more than 90mins for these athletes is too much :wink:
There is the 'Golden goal' in Cup-finals.

Seriously though any Sport can end in a draw that's all part of the fun.
I once was told,it might be a myth,that when 'Soccer' started to gain momentum in the USofA they weren't happy with the thought of a game ending in a 'Tie' so they were to have penalties at the end of every game.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

So if football matches are decided by penalties, why not just have penalties instead of all this palaver with 22 grown men kicking a bag of wind about on the grass?
Mick F. Cornwall