I wonder if.......

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

I wonder if.......

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F is down his local watching the live football?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: I wonder if.......

Post by Mick F »

No.
Who watches 22 fully grown men(?) kicking a bag of wind about?

Utterly pointless and nothing but a money-spinner. The sooner the whole idea is dropped and forgotten, the sooner we can all get on with our lives.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Good time to go out for a ride though with many of the audience busy and not clogging up the roads...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

England have just scored Mick F! Bring on Wales!! :lol:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Guys, Well I'm just thinking about when I went to Holly Park in South Liverpool to watch a match between a Ferenc Puscas 11 v a Billy Liddell 11. That was 9th May 1967. One of the real world greats!
This England match? Turgid. MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Never fully understood why 22 young men spend 90 minutes giving their balls a good kicking.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mick F wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 2:17pm No.
Who watches 22 fully grown men(?) kicking a bag of wind about?

Utterly pointless
Depends who the bag of wind in is doesn't it!!! :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I confess to watching a football match once.

Me and Dad went to Main Road to watch Wigan Athletic (then an amateur club in the Northern Premier League) playing Man City in the 4th(?) round of the FA Cup.

Wigan lost. Can't remember the score, or when it was. Mid/early 1960s I think.
Some football enthusiasts might be able to say the exact date.

Did I enjoy it?
Not really, but Dad did as a lifelong Wigan Athletic Supporter. He never lived to see them go professional, and I doubt he'd have been happy with it when they did.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My son and I once went to a Berwick Rangers/Glasgow Rangers match in Berwick about 25 years ago. Our attendance doubled the gate.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 13 Jun 2021, 11:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

"If the European Cup was on in my front garden I would close the curtains."
I've borrowed that line from somewhere.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My American grandad took me down the road to Marine AFC match one Saturday. We left after 5 minutes. I was something like 9yo without any interest in football. It also looked a lot like my primary school class playing football. Namely 20 kids chasing the ball and two looking bored at each end. Still, I didn't see him pay to go in so nothing lost.

There was a historical pageant in my village. Our cub pack had to put on a display of middle ages. So we made rubbish bows and arrows that never worked and someone got hold of dried, inflated pigs bladders. Nobody questioned it they just kicked it when it came near and laughed when it bounced in a funny way. Until they all burst. Seriously. If only football still used pigs bladders now it would make the games a lot shorter for those who don't care about the game.

You do realise that now England won their first competition game in any international competition it's going to be football fever until they lose. People who've never shown an interest will start to wear an England top and talk football to you at every opportunity like they know everything. 4-4-3 or 4-3-4 debate will come from their lips like they've always known football was a game with 11 players per side. Something new to them after the first post match discussion with the pundits!

At least it's not the world cup. They can't drag out the '66 again for the Euros. It's just the Euros {FFE - family-friendly edit }!!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I went to a football match once. Eldest son aged 11or 12 wanted to go to one. I took him to an under 21 international match at Palmerston Park. Scot v Ned
Wasn’t long before I became an embarrassment because I applauded both sides when I thought they’d played well. Apparently you’ve only to support one side :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

You can have no idea how much I appreciate discovering a group of people who are as disinterested in football as I am.

Once upon a time, at the age of about 12, I was forced to stand on a muddy touchline in the freezing cold wearing my school raincoat and watch a bumch of hopeless dollops from my school play football against another bumch of aesthetically challenged glunks from someplace else. When it was all over I swore a great oath that I would never watch, support, read about, applaud or otherwise take any interest in the wretched 'game'; and I haven't.

Schools are supposed to introduce one to new activities, open horizons, reveal more of the universe, generate delights to last a lifetime. Serving up an utterly miserable, boring, pointless experience is a very effective way to do the opposite.
No pasaran
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

ncutler wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 9:33pm You can have no idea how much I appreciate discovering a group of people who are as disinterested in football as I am.

Once upon a time, at the age of about 12, I was forced to stand on a muddy touchline in the freezing cold wearing my school raincoat and watch a bumch of hopeless dollops from my school play football against another bumch of aesthetically challenged glunks from someplace else. When it was all over I swore a great oath that I would never watch, support, read about, applaud or otherwise take any interest in the wretched 'game'; and I haven't.

Schools are supposed to introduce one to new activities, open horizons, reveal more of the universe, generate delights to last a lifetime. Serving up an utterly miserable, boring, pointless experience is a very effective way to do the opposite.
You are lucky. I was made to play rugby. Even worse, in those days I was small for my age.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

ncutler wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 9:33pm You can have no idea how much I appreciate discovering a group of people who are as disinterested in football as I am.

So you'd deny it ever opens up opportunties to everyone else? I wasn't particularly good at sports at school though was selected for the rugby 2nd XV (and spent as much time on the sidelines as a sub as playing). I was a good cross-country runner but overall only football, rugby and cricket seemed important - athletics was way down there.

But l don't think we shouldn't do it. After my schooldays l ran for a club and played five-a-side football fairly well. I'd been introduced to both sports at school. There l didn't do well and wasn't taught it well, but it opened up the experience of doing it at all.