Moving

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Moving

Post by Tangled Metal »

PS you pay out what you need to for professional services. Big trees are one area people shouldn't mess with imho.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Oh the nostalgia of the "Flit" days? A mate with a van, then a midnight scurry away from the impending doom!
Certainly a fact that years ago some folk employed numerous name to distance themselves from incurred debt, judging by the number of bigamy cases that crop up the computer society has not yet got everyone pinned down?
Just viewing a Lowry painting reminds me that he was a rent collector going door to door trying to get the weekly rent for seedy housing? Just part of the family story, real poverty at every turn. MM
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... I do not remember it being like this. ....
Although we've moved several times since we were married, we've only once been in the position of selling one house and buying another. That was when we moved here in 1975. From the agreeing to sell and buy angle nothing could have been simpler. We asked a sensible price and got an offer the following morning which was the one that went through. We put an offer in on this house and that went through. The sellers of this house were renovating another to move into but had a caravan on site that they intended to move into and indeed did so on completion. With no complications other than the lawyers themselves, it took from March to mid-August to exchange contracts.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

We appear to be the only ones in the chain who have our paperwork - Gas Safe, Electrical Installation Certificates, Woodworm, Cladding, boiler service etc which is all a requirement now. The rest are frantically trying to get duplicates.
Are these really a requirement now, or just some self invented red tape by estate agents. A friend of mine has recently bought a property in a hell of a state, half of the house is uninhabitable.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Not needed but if you have them supply them. If any electrics predate the need for part p certs then you don't need them. Newer installations need certs I believe. Treatments like woodworm is just a selling bonus so the new owner has a record for any reoccurrence and subsequent claims against the company treating the issue. No woodworm issue no treatment and no warranty cert needed.

The more work your house has had in more modern times the more certifications and warranties you will have which quite rightly should be passed on.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pebble wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 9:42am
We appear to be the only ones in the chain who have our paperwork - Gas Safe, Electrical Installation Certificates, Woodworm, Cladding, boiler service etc which is all a requirement now. The rest are frantically trying to get duplicates.
Are these really a requirement now, or just some self invented red tape by estate agents. A friend of mine has recently bought a property in a hell of a state, half of the house is uninhabitable.
Exactly.

It's all invented red tape.
Buyer buys what he/she wants to buy.

We bought this place without the use of an estate agent, and only needed a solicitor to do the money exchange. Terrible state when we bought it and had to cut down vegetation just to get to the front door. No back door, just the one way in.
It's all been modernised and sorted by me. Certificates? Don't make me laugh! :lol:

.......... and yes, we do have buildings insurance.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pebble wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 9:42am
Are these really a requirement now for a sale or just some self invented red tape by estate agents. A friend of mine has recently bought a property in a hell of a state, half of the house is uninhabitable.
They are not legal requirement AFAIK to have a certificate although it is a requirement to, for example, register new installations with Gas Safe. But without them your buyer will be afraid there is something wrong. No certificate implies the work not done to standard. I don't want a house in a hell of a state or uninhabitable and neither does my buyer.

I am pleased to know that the central heating has been properly installed.
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Not every house in the UK has gas central heating or come to that any gas!
Indeed according to reports there will be no domestic gas in a few (10 ?)years time!!
Climate change initiative and all that.
Buy a cheaper house, and forget all the gas.

However around 30 or 40 % of our present leccy comes from gas!!!!!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Some days our smart meter only shows the daily standing charge on it until nearly 9pm right now. Ain't solar power brilliant! We're definitely a net exporter during daylight hours right now. I bet some hours we could easily power two houses like ours. If only we had storage.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 12:47pm Indeed according to reports there will be no domestic gas in a few (10 ?)years time!!
Tell that to my local distributor who has just spent millions(?) replacing the pipes through the road and right up to the meter at each house. OK, they did not replace, they fitted a plastic liner. Possibly this is in preparation for distributing "another gas" such as hydrogen.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 9:29am
.... I do not remember it being like this. ....
Although we've moved several times since we were married, we've only once been in the position of selling one house and buying another. That was when we moved here in 1975. From the agreeing to sell and buy angle nothing could have been simpler. We asked a sensible price and got an offer the following morning which was the one that went through. We put an offer in on this house and that went through. The sellers of this house were renovating another to move into but had a caravan on site that they intended to move into and indeed did so on completion. With no complications other than the lawyers themselves, it took from March to mid-August to exchange contracts.
As long as that - both times I've moved within three months of first putting my house on the market.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 12:47pm Not every house in the UK has gas central heating or come to that any gas!
Indeed according to reports there will be no domestic gas in a few (10 ?)years time!!

Yes, but that leccyi s more efficiently generated than heat from a boiler, and if you then use that to power a heat pump (ground or air source) then you get more energy by converting it to electricity than you would from just burning it for heat.

If we assume that a large gas plant can get 45% efficiency, then it could still sell "waste" heat to the local area (it's done elsewhere in the world), and that electricity could then power heat pumps across the land - they can fairly easily be 400-500% efficient (in terms of heat put into the house compared with energy consumed).

So you get maybe 40% efficiency delivered to your door, and that's then multiplied by 4 or 5...
Obviously that only really works for medium temperature supplies (heating is the perfect load, hot water needs boosting to higher temperatures once a week). Even if that is done electrically... you're already way ahead of the energy curve.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 12:47pm Not every house in the UK has gas central heating or come to that any gas!

Well whatever system is in place I would like to be assured that it was safely installed and regularly maintained. Just happens that the property I am buying has gas - LPG.

New gas boilers banned from 2030 I think. Old ones will limp along. I don’t know what happens then.

Please don’t tell me how much I should pay for my house.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly.
Pay what you want to pay and that which the seller is happy with.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oldjohnw wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:24pm

Well whatever system is in place I would like to be assured that it was safely installed and regularly maintained. Just happens that the property I am buying has gas - LPG.

New gas boilers banned from 2030 I think. Old ones will limp along. I don’t know what happens then.

Please don’t tell me how much I should pay for my house.
Wasn't directed at you.

Perhaps better phrased as " one could buy a cheaper house" without such additional complexity .

And yes that was the point, new boillers to be phased out 10 years .
But replacing them may not be so easy.
Our leccy comes a good deal from gas.
Efficiently as "bob" says but it's still lots of gas. Lots.
Solar works ok but it has downsides.
Like at night or in winter. And/or nasty heavy metal batteries.
Without subsidy I think it's not very viable.
And subsidy costs other consumers who don't have the option.

One could just use less of course (:shock:)but that is not the present direction. Leccy vehicles can only increase demand further.

My view is that all sources have a role.
Gas is cheap and relatively clean.

Personally don't like the nuclear option with present day technology.