Moving

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Moving

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 2:15pm ........some folk will buy a car without an MOT because they can assess and repair it.
So they get a car at a reasonable price- hopefully.

I see houses in much the same light.
Absolutely!

Everyone's a winner?
The person selling doesn't have to bend over backwards, and the person buying gets something they want in the full knowledge of the purchase. If they aren't in the full knowledge, they should seek advice ........... as most/if not all people do.

Which Mini has no MOT? :D :D

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 14.55.34.png
Outside our place on the drive.
Three of them, having owned Minis for most of my driving life.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Equally, some do not want to have to get new central heating or sort serious damp or whatever. And we are not sufficiently expert to identify such problems so we are glad of a certificate. It seems sensible, therefore to keep these things in the event your one day buyer is such a person. If you have work done these days you will get them anyway, even if you do think they are rubbish red tape. You can rest assured your solicitor will ask for them, having first been asked by the buyer's solicitor. Every missing item is an excuse to push the price down and to slow up the process.

Not everyone wants to take on a project, especially when you are older.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 17 Jun 2021, 9:31am, edited 1 time in total.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

About 18 months from 80, we dont care... Hopefully the activity will keep us going...but agreed, its not for everyone :wink:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My uncle took on a big project after second retirement. A cottage in the pennines north of Sedbergh I believe. Gutted it right down, used the best materials and practically rebuilt it when he found major faults in the original build. It was an old cottage and probably built by local workers not all skilled builders.

Took him maybe ten years all in. Well it was a project and not his main property but he did live a few winters in a caravan on a field opposite using a farm tap for his water supply.

He also used a local builder who used his cottage as a fill in job. He had the roof returned i the original shape for no other reason than he wanted it more original. It had two dormer windows that were perfectly good but they went. He worked as labourer for the builder on his own cottage to cut costs. Often it was just him up there. He was probably late 60s possibly 70s. Ex marathon runner and walker so a lot fitter than his age.

He finished it then put it straight onto the market. That really made no sense but sometimes it's the work not the end result that people do these things for. Good on you Al for taking on a project. I hope it works out well for you.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

TM, if we had moved into an ordinary little bungalow or something I wouldnt be bothering and instead would just be putting my feet up. But we have been very lucky getting this place. Its was a dilemma, the choice between a grand old house with many faults and a magic garden situated in a highly convenient location or a modern fault free very normal place or new build. A Post Office Stores, a family butcher, a bus stop, heavenly dog walks and the pub are on our doorstep. The Mrs is highly energetic and will tackle any diy job due to her training as an old style OT and subsequent career as an antique dealer/ restorer including woodwork. Without her enthusiasm and support I wouldnt be doing this. The survey was horrific, so the buying price was attractive leaving a bit of cash to pay pay roofers, plasterers and other tradesmen to do the skilled work outside our abilities. I have the feeling that due to the pandemic we wont be travelling abroad for quite some time so a meaty project is welcome.

The bad news is that during the move I seem to have lost the key to my Dutch bike lock :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 5:24pm About 18 months from 80, we dont care... Hopefully the activity will keep us going...but agreed, its not for everyone :wink:

Al
All credit to you, Al. I have done renovations - a complete 400 year old cottage restoration and a money pit 18thC listed town house - in the past, but no more. We need a kitchen and bathroom which a local supplier will install. I plan on doing nothing in the house in the way of DIY.

Anyway, I hope it goes well.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 18 Jun 2021, 7:38am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 7:13am He finished it then put it straight onto the market. That really made no sense but sometimes it's the work not the end result that people do these things for. Good on you Al for taking on a project. I hope it works out well for you.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there and it’s good Al believes he is still up to the task.
After building my house I said "that’s it, never again, let’s concentrate on the leisure side of life.
It didn’t happen, I still keep doing projects. Built my Roundhouse , bought and renovated a Lancaster property, refitted all our bathrooms and kitchen and numerous other projects.
When I finish the job I still say "that’s it no more!" Never happens :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:04am ....bought and renovated a Lancaster property .........
What about a Lancaster Bomber? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One thing that seems to have been overlooked by some is the attitude of lenders. Cash buyers can make their own decisions but they are rare. Anybody needing a mortgage will have to be in a position to tick all the boxes and having all necessary stuff to hand makes that so much easier.

It's now some six years since I sold my mother's flat in my capacity as her attorney. I had all her paperwork going back decades and I went back to the firm of brass-nameplate solicitors who had done her conveyancing when she bought the place and still had her deeds. So far so good. One of the items on their questionnaire was the FENSA certificate for the replacement windows recently installed by the housing association who owned the freehold of the building. I was certain it had not reached the flat because I had installed a locked cage inside the letterbox to keep my mother's mail intact. I rang the housing association and the head man said (a) he remembered posting it personally and (b) they were worthless anyway. FENSA certificates can be checked online and I couldn't find anything there. Back to the housing association and carefully avoiding calling anybody a liar, I got the contact details of the firm that did the installation. After a bit of resistance from the person taking my call, I got through to somebody who understood. Very quickly, he rang me back, explained that his company had never issued the certificates, apologised, promised to rectify it and he did so. In the meantime, I went round all the other residents in the block of flats alerting them to what had happened and to beware of liars.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Only one bit of advice I have for anyone moving -- if it hasn't already been said.

Make sure you tell the car tax office and MOT... ( oh no yous don't have proper MOT's over there ) your change of address for each vehicle you or your family own. Remember that rare BSA Gold Star on sorn laying in the garage too. Same goes for any other government things that the solicitor is not involved with like driving licence etc.

When we moved I got the post redirected but I didn't know that government mail will not get redirected along with most mail.

What happened was that I didn't get the MOT or car Tax reminders and forgot to check the various vehicles we had at the time.

The thing is they knew nothing about the fact I didn't tax on time until I rang them about it. ( I was a month out on two vehicles ) cost me £80 each if I remember. I got away with the sorned bike ( cos it hadn't been on the road for a couple of years ) but got billed for it twice only after I caught on it was sorned and told them -- I had to phone them to get them to stop billing me after they promised twice to stop.

Don't think you have to re sorn every year now.
I am here. Where are you?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We just got our van ved letter with redirection sticker on the front so it's not true now that letters from officialdom don't get forwarded. We moved early march and our car/van details are still at the old address. Licences are changed but not log book details hence the necessary redirect.

BTW always get 12 months redirection. It's not much more than 6 months but it pretty much giants you'll get every possible important letter in that first year after moving. There's always some important letter that comes after 6 months that you are highly likely to have forgotten to change to new address.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:52pm We just got our van ved letter with redirection sticker on the front so it's not true now that letters from officialdom don't get forwarded. We moved early march and our car/van details are still at the old address. Licences are changed but not log book details hence the necessary redirect.

BTW always get 12 months redirection. It's not much more than 6 months but it pretty much giants you'll get every possible important letter in that first year after moving. There's always some important letter that comes after 6 months that you are highly likely to have forgotten to change to new address.
Our escapade with the tax office was 2006 so either it's changed or NI is different rules.
I am here. Where are you?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cowsham wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 7:27am
Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:52pm We just got our van ved letter with redirection sticker on the front so it's not true now that letters from officialdom don't get forwarded. We moved early march and our car/van details are still at the old address. Licences are changed but not log book details hence the necessary redirect.

Our escapade with the tax office was 2006 so either it's changed or NI is different rules.

I think you were possibly unlucky with HMRC. Royal Mail do forward HMRC post so long as it is still within the UK. But they do not redirect benefit correspondence. It will be returned to sender.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Globa ... %20(5).pdf
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Do they at least return to sender with a "this was going to be forwarded here" sticker?

I've always been happy to forward on important mail for previous owners, and the people who have bought from me have always done the same as well.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Our last move 23 yrs ago we remained with the same post town DG10. The beauty of rural life is the postmen know you and I received all my wrongly addressed mail for years without paying a penny. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info