Moving

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Moving

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Nuclear is something we really ought to be leaning on more and more.

And complaining about metals in batteries is rather old hat, and ignores the fact that vast amounts of everything are mined to feed the gas industry or any other.

Battery technology has only just started the plateau on the last few years, and it will accelerate again over the next few according to those who work in the industry, and have been responsible for significant advancements in the past.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:32pm Exactly.
Pay what you want to pay and that which the seller is happy with.
No, the certificates are very important - because it’s not difficult to screw up in a dangerous but non obvious way.

I wired my loft, but I had a sparky come and check it. Cost me less than the test gear, and I know I haven’t screwed something up (I had actually, one connection hadn’t been made well, so the ring wasn’t a ring).

If sold without then every potential owner would have to pay to have a lengthy test of the electrics…
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 6:19pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:24pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 12:47pm Not every house in the UK has gas central heating or come to that any gas!
Indeed according to reports there will be no domestic gas in a few (10 ?)years time!!
Climate change initiative and all that.
Buy a cheaper house, and forget all the gas.

However around 30 or 40 % of our present leccy comes from gas!!!!!

Well whatever system is in place I would like to be assured that it was safely installed and regularly maintained. Just happens that the property I am buying has gas - LPG.

New gas boilers banned from 2030 I think. Old ones will limp along. I don’t know what happens then.

Please don’t tell me how much I should pay for my house.
Wasn't directed at you.

Perhaps better phrased as " one could buy a cheaper house" without such additional complexity .

And yes that was the point, new boillers to be phased out 10 years .
But replacing them may not be so easy.
Our leccy comes a good deal from gas.
Efficiently as "bob" says but it's still lots of gas. Lots.
Solar works ok but it has downsides.
Like at night or in winter. And/or nasty heavy metal batteries.
Without subsidy I think it's not very viable.
And subsidy costs other consumers who don't have the option.

One could just use less of course (:shock:)but that is not the present direction. Leccy vehicles can only increase demand further.

My view is that all sources have a role.
Gas is cheap and relatively clean.

Personally don't like the nuclear option with present day technology.
Comment appreciated.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Trees, perhaps Ben can identify this biggie in our garden...
IMG20210329154155_01.jpg
Heat pumps? A lady I met recently was moaning about her air source job. I asked her if the installer had said she would need bigger radiators..he hadnt! In a gas system the water temperature can be up to 80 deg C, in a heat pump system is only up to 55 deg C QED!

One thing was petrifying me about our new pad...the Aga! No other cooking appliance here. As the cook I am pleased to say I have managed. A Sunday roast with all the trimmings, one greasy breakfast to celebrate moving in, home made pizzas,. Pies from the butcher almost opposite, sausage and chips etc. It belts out heat all the time which worries my eco sensibilities, but the dogs love it.
There are many mysteries like who supplies the Utilities, I cracked that. As an executor sale there is a wall of silence regarding everything. But its a lovely house and garden and after only 4 days beginning to feel like home.

Yet to try the pub...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You shouldn't need bigger radiators - they will just be "on" for longer if the temperature is cooler.

You shouldn't be running central heating water at 85 degrees under any circumstances anyway. 40-50 is plenty hot enough - over 60 and you risk instant burns when you touch the radiators (or supply pipes).

I can confirm that that is a tree.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 8:43pm
Mick F wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:32pm Exactly.
Pay what you want to pay and that which the seller is happy with.
No, the certificates are very important - because it’s not difficult to screw up in a dangerous but non obvious way.

I wired my loft, but I had a sparky come and check it. Cost me less than the test gear, and I know I haven’t screwed something up (I had actually, one connection hadn’t been made well, so the ring wasn’t a ring).

If sold without then every potential owner would have to pay to have a lengthy test of the electrics…
I didn't say they weren't important, just that they aren't necessary.

Buying a car is a similar thing.
MOT and service history are "nice to haves" but not essential.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Al :D , I hope you have got a bookshelf in your kitchen? For the "Aga Sagas!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Warning! The Jilly Cooper book "Riders" isn't about cyclists. TTFN MM
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Gas is cheap & relatively clean, in limited and specific circumstances, almost none of which are met in either household supply or electricity generation. And extraction is another matter.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/enviro ... atural-gas
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 41471.html
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... -ice-cores
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/central ... ate-change

This has a nice comparative table, but only looks at CO2 and not other green house gasses, some of which, like methane, are worse form an environmental perspective (and natural gas emits methane).
https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/tools ... ent-fuels/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vorpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:13am
Gas is cheap & relatively clean, in limited and specific circumstances, almost none of which are met in either household supply or electricity generation. And extraction is another matter.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/enviro ... atural-gas
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 41471.html
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... -ice-cores
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/central ... ate-change

This has a nice comparative table, but only looks at CO2 and not other green house gasses, some of which, like methane, are worse form an environmental perspective (and natural gas emits methane).
https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/tools ... ent-fuels/
Indeed, though I do not totally understand all of the table you provided.(Why can they not provide a "key" to abbreviations?)

The main thrust of my argument being that while electric is a fine energy for the home some of the recent lauding of it's green credentials often pass without enough scrutiny.

For example, on Easter Monday the huge press fanfare as the UK generated 60% of its energy from renewables.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ver-easter

Very sunny, very windy and many people on holiday and much industry closed down.
One day.

Less of a fanfare was given to the many wind still cold April nights when wind produced under 2% of the energy requirement and solar obviously nil except for stored.

I just want to see the facts stated fairly.
Not some "rose tinted" view of green that is every more turned into a marketing strategy.
I am deeply tired of the word "eco"!

My credentials in this regard are very good, that is, I come to the argument as the light green man, not some self satisfied new hybrid Landrover owner!!
Ba humbug!

I'm with Mickf on this. Buyer beware.
Get a house at a lower price perhaps.
Many owner built houses are rather splendid individual dwellings.
I do not wish to see statutory legal requirement of safety certificates.
More red tape.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I've worked on a few insurance jobs, new roofs due to diy electrical bodge jobs and the roof has gone up in flames. Some people think because they're using plastic back boxes they needn't bother with the earth, but the earth is a circuit that needs to be maintained.
Who on earth would buy a car with no mot?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

merseymouth wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 8:58am Hi Al :D , I hope you have got a bookshelf in your kitchen? For the "Aga Sagas!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Warning! The Jilly Cooper book "Riders" isn't about cyclists. TTFN MM
Yes,Riders! Jodphurs and whips for spanking! Tally Ho! Cycling not as much as half such fun..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

philvantwo wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 1:44pm I've worked on a few insurance jobs, new roofs due to diy electrical bodge jobs and the roof has gone up in flames. Some people think because they're using plastic back boxes they needn't bother with the earth, but the earth is a circuit that needs to be maintained.
Who on earth would buy a car with no mot?
Is it a pun?!

But seriously, and I understand your point,
some folk will buy a car without an MOT because they can assess and repair it.
So they get a car at a reasonable price- hopefully.

I see houses in much the same light.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

We already have statutory legal requirement for many facets of the home. They are not yet compulsorily required to be available to the purchaser but if, say, a new boiler was added after a certain date, or new wiring installation, they will be there with the regulatory body as the contractor must register the work and he should provide a certificate of registration.

But if the seller does not have these to hand it takes time to collect the duplicates. We had everything but our seller does not.

Of course you can go ahead and purchase without them but buyer beware. You may in any case be intending to rewrite and that will be reflected in the price you pay.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Certainly true of this place, empty when we first viewed it with the carpets rolled up, a big water damage hole in the hall ceiling, water dripping through the gully in the garage roof. Woodworm and rising damp here and there. More than a hundred viewings, several offers accepted but when they saw the survey they pulled out. But all inexpensively fixable with a bit of effort. When fixed probably worth 10 to 15% more. No stamp duty a bonus too.

Boxes are gradually diminishing and we have learned that we must leave all important docs, keys, lists and money in a chosen easily found spot. Otherwise you just forget and spend fruitless hours searching.

Al
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think anybody has mentioned the ill-fated Home Information Pack. The irony here is that this was intended to simplify the sale of houses. It's the sort of thing you couldn't make up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Information_Pack