Moving

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Moving

Post by Mick F »

Our anthracite-burning Stanley cooker uses a bag a week depending how much cooking we do. It produces lots of hotwater. Ten quid a bag.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Because this old place had been empty for a year with rain pouring in here and there is seems to be a good plan to keep the heat on. That said, its a bit like a sweat shop in the kitchen.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

AGA have always been surrounded by mystique, romance and, for some, desirability. My own experience is they are too well insulated to heat a large farmhouse kitchen in winter. We always had the poor man’s alternative a Rayburn.
Despite their build running costs of them have always been frightening. The BiL bought a 30Kw AGA ~15 yrs ago. It is oil fired and the bill to heat an old vicarage is, to me, obscene. One cold month costs more than my entire winter.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our kitchen as of now.
Stanley burning slowly, washing hanging on the rail above, nice warm bungalow, and nice hot water.
Kettle almost on the boil.
IMG_0641.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Paulatic wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 1:31pm AGA have always been surrounded by mystique, romance and, for some, desirability. My own experience is they are too well insulated to heat a large farmhouse kitchen in winter. We always had the poor man’s alternative a Rayburn.
Despite their build running costs of them have always been frightening. The BiL bought a 30Kw AGA ~15 yrs ago. It is oil fired and the bill to heat an old vicarage is, to me, obscene. One cold month costs more than my entire winter.
That's likely as much to do with insulation in the old vicarage as it is to do with the specific method of heating.

Delivered oil isn't cheap, but the real cost is usually in heat lost
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 7:06pm Our kitchen as of now.
Stanley burning slowly, washing hanging on the rail above, nice warm bungalow, and nice hot water.
Kettle almost on the boil.
A similar scene..
IMG20210705111456.jpg
No probs drying clothes. Lashings of hot water.As for kettles, not needed because we have a Kwooker, instant cuppas! We love the Agas colour. If I switch it off and deny Eileen the warmth I reckon I will get a Fatwa :lol: But £3 a day :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 9:59am That's likely as much to do with insulation in the old vicarage as it is to do with the specific method of heating.
Yes you’re right
Single glazed sash windows BiL thinks double glazing is unhealthy for a property. He was going to look into a GSHP as someone told him it would be cheaper. :lol: After I stopped laughing I told him with his heat loss it’s a non starter.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If I ........ and it's usually me ......... forget to rattle the grate and empty the ash, and shove a part-scuttle of coal on once or twice a day, the Stanley goes out.

No probs for 24hrs or even 48hrs, or even a few days when the weather is warmer, but the kitchen and the rest of the place just feels "wrong" and sort of damp and sort of chilly as well.

Solid floors, solid concrete walls here. Poor insulation generally though the loft is well insulated.
Best thing we could do ......... or if we sell up and someone else moves here .......... is to pull the place down and build a new modern bungalow.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Roofers were in today, scafolder turned up and erected a scaffold. Roofers stripped the unfelted roof slope, felted and battened it. Demolished the rickety roof access dormer and built a new one. Now I have the old undersized battens I have enough kindling for the next couple of years. :D Heavy rain this evening, hoping its all watertight. Retiling and sorting the leaded roof gullys tomorrow, then point the chimneys. Its not like a modern house

Al
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

... erected a scaffold..
Someone must have really annoyed you.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi MickF, Tuesday today?
Monday was washing day, Tuesday is soup, is everybody happy? No you mate with football on the box! IGICB MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Scaffold. The group Mick refers to, well remembered from my youth, included a leading and celebrated English poet.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The roof still let water in last night. Disappointing! But it was found to be a tiny split in the lead lining of the gully which can easily be repaired. This caused an unsightly hole in the landing ceiling. This was apparently the thing that caused the lady who lived here to die from a heart attack. She was very worried by it because several roofers had tried to fix it for her without any success. Lets hope my roofers can. It also put potential buyers off because the hole is in a lath and plaster ceiling which must be restored using traditional methods because the house is listed.
IMG20210706090533.jpg
Its adjacent to a rickety dormer which I insisted must be rebuilt. Tiles going back on today.

Al
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Yes, The Scaffold. John Gorman, Mike McGear aka Mike McCartney, and Scouse Beat Poet Roger McGough.
Roger was at one time a college lecturer at a catering college.
His French lessons were a scream, even included Snagglepuss in his work, definitely off the wall.
Those were the days. MM