Moving

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Moving

Post by al_yrpal »

We just moved into our new old house. 14 weeks since our offer was accepted. I have moved a few times in my life, the last time was 2 years ago but it was nothing like this. The huge amount of red tape and rank stupidity was jaw dropping. The chain of people before us was full of folk who were unprepared disorganised and slow to react. The solicitors are all overloaded and drenched in jobsworth, the removers are overwhelmed. You cant get a rented van for love nor money and the stamp duty holiday is looming leading to overload for everyone.
On what was supposed to be moving day contracts hadnt been exchanged and we were faced with our removers having to put our stuff into storage where it couldnt be recovered until 11th July. But thanks to our new property being an empty executors sale we were given the keys to put our plants in the garden. We just moved everything in crossing our fingers. By the end of the day contracts had exchanged and money had changed hands. I cannot describe the relief.
Good luck to anyone moving before the end of June.
Anyway, we love it, the dogs love it and I am looking forward to getting out on the bike and exploring the hinterland.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Re: Moving

Post by Vorpal »

Congratulations!

I have moved many, many times in my life. I hate moving house, but I love new places.

Good luck in your new home!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, good luck! :D

I was born in N Wales when we lived in Gwynfryn, then moved to Standish, Lancs, then Wrightington and then Newburgh.
Joined the RN in 1969, and met the love of my life in 1972.
Married in 1973 and had a flat in Southsea, then moved to Rosyth, Fife. Two different places there.
Then to Plymstock, and back to Scotland to Helenesburgh, then bought a house in Balloch.
Moved to Plymouth and then out to Gunnislake, and now in our second house there.

Total homes for me is therefore thirteen!
Been in this place since 1997.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Sounds a nightmare.
In 2001 when we brought here, NatWest failed to transfer the €'s to the Notaire. It looked like we were going to need a place to stay until NatWest got their act together. Much to the horror of the Notaire the owner handed us the keys!
We discovered afterwards that she had been married to an English guy, she still trusted us though!😁😁😁
Good luck in your new home Al.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Just three homes in my life, 7 years (child rented), 20 years (as child rented/then bought), them 46 years and counting (bought and paid for long ago). I hated the childhood moves, too much mess and faff! Now? The move would probably kill me, far too much clutter.
I'm trying to organize my stuff to make it easier for my executors! TTFN MM
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

13 addresses in 4 countries, excluding lodging type addresses ,since I was 25 which is 43 years ago. Typically I would rent and then buy when I had worked out the area. I've been in my current address 16 years which is more than twice as long as any other address. I must have forgotten how to move, or heaven forbid "put down roots".
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Moving home is often said to be one of the most stressful life experiences.
In a poll of 2,000 UK homeowners, 40 per cent voted the process of moving house as the most nerve-wracking life event, more so than getting a divorce (34 per cent), having a baby (31 per cent) or starting a new job (27 per cent).

Amongst home movers, nearly two-thirds said they had to deal with sleep deprivation during their move. Anxiety was also a common symptom of move-related stress, with 34 per cent claiming to have suffered with it, while depression and physical illness were also recorded by a huge 40 per cent of movers.
https://www.realhomes.com/news/moving-h ... -a-divorce

I am not sure I agree, but clearly some people do find it stressful.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's ironic that we're told we have moved into a so-called service industry economy. As I've said elsewhere before, the end-result is often that there's less chance of working with individuals - we end up working instead with systems. In my humble view, face-to-face interactions have a higher chance of being carried out with some satisfaction.
As an amusing aside, my interaction with the individual who carried out the conveyancing on my last property purchase amounted to a handful of emails, while I waited out the weeks it took her to complete the work. My second email asking for an update received a short reply saying "if you didn't keep emailing me, I could get on with the work I need to do for you..." :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’m glad you have reached the end of this process. I am in the middle (in the middle?) of it. Sometimes it seems we are going nowhere. I do not remember it being like this. We appear to be the only ones in the chain who have our paperwork - Gas Safe, Electrical Installation Certificates, Woodworm, Cladding, boiler service etc which is all a requirement now. The rest are frantically trying to get duplicates.

Our solicitor firm acts for both ourselves and our buyer - different partners and we agreed there would not be a conflict of interest. But it has taken over two months to move some papers from one side of the office to the other.

The crazy stamp duty holiday is totally messing everything up. Governments, who claim to want the market to rule, have a habit of interfering in that market and completely messing it up.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Moved early march this year. Took a few months but worth the wait. Still trying to get the feed in tariff on the solar panels to get transferred to us. That's another story involving lots of photographs of electric boxes, meters, official forms that need officialdom to produce, still not got them but found a work around, etc.

Nearly forgot, it's it be first house with a garden. What a garden too!! It's big with a lot of hard work to get sorted. It is such a nice place to me sit when nice weather. Dappled shade, lots of trees including big ones far enough away from the house to not be a problem? Stone seats all over the place in little nooks and crannies in the masses of little paths. Flagpole and views. Privacy too. We've found it nice to take a break from gardening on a bit weekend day to drink a cool beer high up in the garden.

It's in a village that's really nice with a lot of stuff going for it too. We've found we're simply not going out of the village much. We used to spend Saturdays and Sundays away from our old house but now we're at home. Certainly reduced car and van use. We had £30 of diesel last two months in the van recently possibly longer. When the place is right why leave it if you don't need to???
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 5:27pm I’m glad you have reached the end of this process. I am in the middle (in the middle?) of it. Sometimes it seems we are going nowhere. I do not remember it being like this. We appear to be the only ones in the chain who have our paperwork - Gas Safe, Electrical Installation Certificates, Woodworm, Cladding, boiler service etc which is all a requirement now. The rest are frantically trying to get duplicates.

Our solicitor firm acts for both ourselves and our buyer - different partners and we agreed there would not be a conflict of interest. But it has taken over two months to move some papers from one side of the office to the other.

The crazy stamp duty holiday is totally messing everything up. Governments, who claim to want the market to rule, have a habit of interfering in that market and completely messing it up.
Wish you well John. Our Heatas certificate had never been delivered and we had to get the guy who installed the woodburner to produce it, he wasnt best pleased when he was threatened with deregistration. We never got a single certificate on anything for the new house, the lady owner had died a year ago. Although the house had supposdly been cleared the dishwasher was full of dirty crockery and cutlery and her personal stuff was still in the bathroom, very poignant.
Not getting any paperwork didnt put us off we will be careful to get paperwork for any work we have done. As you say moving house today isnt anything like it used to be. We will deal with the collapsed ceiling, the woodworm, the rising damp, the supposed inadequate heating system, the untested Aga and all the rest. The surveyors report was totally damning and it put dozens of prospective buyers off and allowed us to buy a wonderful old house. Thankyou surveyor... :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 9:37pm

Wish you well John. Our Heatas certificate had never been delivered and we had to get the guy who installed the woodburner to produce it, he wasnt best pleased when he was threatened with deregistration. We never got a single certificate on anything for the new house, the lady owner had died a year ago. Although the house had supposdly been cleared the dishwasher was full of dirty crockery and cutlery and her personal stuff was still in the bathroom, very poignant.
Not getting any paperwork didnt put us off we will be careful to get paperwork for any work we have done. As you say moving house today isnt anything like it used to be. We will deal with the collapsed ceiling, the woodworm, the rising damp, the supposed inadequate heating system, the untested Aga and all the rest. The surveyors report was totally damning and it put dozens of prospective buyers off and allowed us to buy a wonderful old house. Thankyou surveyor... :lol:

Al
Your in well done, the work starts now but don't forget to get a bike ride or 2 in. BTW was your surveyor called Rigsby. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 5:40pm Nearly forgot, it's it be first house with a garden. What a garden too!! It's big with a lot of hard work to get sorted. It is such a nice place to me sit when nice weather. Dappled shade, lots of trees including big ones far enough away from the house to not be a problem?
Trees don't need to be near a house to cost you money. There's always DIY tree surgery of course, and you can generally see the work has been done by someone who knows nothing about it :wink:. I was always amused by people buying houses with big gardens and trees then moaning about 'not realising they'd cost me money'.....
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 12:57pm It's ironic that we're told we have moved into a so-called service industry economy. As I've said elsewhere before, the end-result is often that there's less chance of working with individuals - we end up working instead with systems. In my humble view, face-to-face interactions have a higher chance of being carried out with some satisfaction.
As an amusing aside, my interaction with the individual who carried out the conveyancing on my last property purchase amounted to a handful of emails, while I waited out the weeks it took her to complete the work. My second email asking for an update received a short reply saying "if you didn't keep emailing me, I could get on with the work I need to do for you..." :lol:
I would have replied that if she got on with the flipping conveyancing I would not have to send email reminders!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Ben@Forest wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 10:57pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 5:40pm Nearly forgot, it's it be first house with a garden. What a garden too!! It's big with a lot of hard work to get sorted. It is such a nice place to me sit when nice weather. Dappled shade, lots of trees including big ones far enough away from the house to not be a problem?
Trees don't need to be near a house to cost you money. There's always DIY tree surgery of course, and you can generally see the work has been done by someone who knows nothing about it :wink:. I was always amused by people buying houses with big gardens and trees then moaning about 'not realising they'd cost me money'.....
We only chop down trees that are small enough for me to do piece by piece with a bow saw and loppers. Pruning back part dead branches low down and then producing a fine, neat cut with a good Pruning saw near the trunk but not top near. I once got taught a few things by a couple of people with training so whilst not perfect they're usually tidy enough pruning.

One guy I learnt from had a few qualifications in tree surgery and various land management certs through our local college (Meyerscough). And another guy part way through a forestry course who was at the time spending his free time practising what he was learning on his forestry course, usually to be found high up in a few tall pine trees in his local forest! Both knew a thing or two and taught me a few things, but obviously I can't learn much secondhand like that. Which is why we've been trying to get properly qualified tree surgeons in (not the butchery type but ones with good rep and quals beyond city and guilds). So far they either get to the point of making an appointment to view and quote then not come or flat out don't return our calls.

That was March and we've kind of given up for now. Not the right time for a lot of work I think what with nesting birds and growing season. Our neighbour's copper beech got pruned two summers ago and it's still dull now. Ours is a bright as a button and looks nice as does the other neighbour's.

We've got at least one tree to go and there's a few big trees with serious looking cracks running up the trunk from near ground level. There's plenty of good, healthy trees too. A few years before the we moved in there was a storm that took out a large leylandii which took out a few other trees. The ones left are the healthy ones. Apparently the previous owner got someone in to check and deal with everything. We're just wanting our own tree safety and health check done. When you've got a fair few larger trees you need to do that I reckon quite frequently. Our copper beech isn't fully mature but it's rather big if it had problems. The leylandii are big too. Those are all too big to get my arms round and I'm nearly 2m tall. Nice yews and Hazel. Reckon at least one hazel was once coppice too. A few nice rods growing.