Moving

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mark R

Re: Moving

Post by Mark R »

Using alternative sources of energy, such as solar power..solar panels not allowed

Could you get round this one by siting the panels on a garden structure e.g. a large shed?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Roof is now finished and watertight at last. One whole slope stripped refelted and relaid. Split in gully sealed with underlay of lead, roof access dormer rebuilt and sealed with new lead, hip lead replaced, ridge lead relaid. Garage roof slate stripped, new membrane battens and slates. Just the east chimney to point and renew the lead flashing which means more scaffolding.
Then its on to hall and office ceilings to be rebuilt and plastered.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mark R wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 8:45pm
Using alternative sources of energy, such as solar power..solar panels not allowed
Could you get round this one by siting the panels on a garden structure e.g. a large shed?
If the problem is the building being listed... then possibly not, as listing now usually covers the relevant curtilage.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You seem to be steaming ahead, Al. I am impressed. I very much doubt our progress - whenever we actually get there - will be as quick.

We are cowards, too. We have lined up a contractor for the entire project. Yes, I know it will cost more but I have done with DIY renovations.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Our secret is a retired builder who has known Eileen for 15 years and done lots of work for her. When he demands action people jump. The roofers were on another job where someone fell through a roof. The site was closed down and they slotted us in. They are amongst the top roofers in the area. The leak turned out to have had at least 5 unsuccessful attempts to rectify it. They fixed it at their first attempt.
Onto the next bit, replastering the damaged ceilings.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

We’re moving to an area where we don’t really know any builders etc. We do sort of know the builder we are engaging, or at least his wife, as we have rented holidays cottages from her over the years. We saw his work there.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

In your thread 'Has your life changed?' I posted I didn't want anymore unwelcome changes but ought to think about moving at some point.
Our house is old and needs regular maintenance. The garden is much too large and I'm not a keen gardener so a move would make sense. To get what we want would mean going through the stress of selling /buying and getting rid of a lot of 'stuff'.
We've been thinking of this for two years and waver between staying put and employing more help with the house and garden and more actively looking for a more suitable home.
The properties available that meet our requirements are few and far between. City dwellers selling up and moving to the countryside has pushed prices up and reduced choice.
I'm reluctant to take on another wreck, been there and done it once.

I suspect our inaction will mean we stay here. :lol:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

While you've been dilly dallying property prices have gone up. We bought a property to modernise just before the first lockdown but due to lack of materials I didn't do anything. Then work went really busy so nothing got done because of that. The Mrs got it valued on Friday and in almost 15 months its increased in value by £40,000!
Get rid of all your junk, because it'll all be thrown out one day and buy yourselves a 2 bed apartment by the seaside.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've been getting rid of stuff but find it really hard to get rid of tools, although I know I'll be unlikely to ever use them.
I've reduced my books but this was much easier to do. I love to read and I love to fix and repair things so why I feel differently I don't know.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yesterday a heavily tatooed scaffolder appeared and single handedly built a very tall scaffold up to the rear chimney. This morning the roofers were back and did the lead at the base of the chimney and all the pointing needed. Brilliant! Roof is now 100% watertight and good for years to come. We paid top dollar for a top class very necessary job. Now onto holes in ceilings etc and a lintel showing signs of distress.

Taking up your points we have been making weekly visits to the dump, putting things on Facebook, Gumtree and Freecycle and doing car boots. There is still plenty to go when you are trying to fit two households into 1. We feel in need of a break so my Camper is now taxed and ready for the road.

At both 78 we actually upsized! Eileens little low beamed cottage played hell with my bald patch. Theres a massive feeling of space now especially in the size and airyness of the rooms and the massive garden space is very lovely. The dogs love it. Its mostly grass so very easy to maintain. Many people wouldnt want the hassle of a place like this and I can understand why but at the moment its great fun. See what the winter brings.

Al
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

My chum's old house needed similar things to yours, in particular it had a leaky roof.
He went through a lot to get it watertight.
His mate, who was a general builder, undertook the work. Initially it was a series of repairs but none totally cured the problem.
Eventually he was advised it would need a whole new roof. As the roof still leaked he went ahead and had it replaced.
He thought it was cured but when his wife opened an upstairs built in cupboard she found everything inside damp and mouldy.
He finally contacted a chap who only did roofs. This chap took a look and saw the problem. The new roof was mostly done OK but the lead flashing wasn't. This was put right but very expensive, it did cure the leak and 25 years on it's still watertight.
The roofer worked mainly on listed buildings so may have seen the problem before.
peterb

Post by peterb »

We moved last September, to a new build property with an air source heat pump. Underfloor heating throughout the ground-floor, radiators on the first floor. All windows double glazed and well fitted. Very few windows on the north side of the house, but plenty of glazing to the south so as to maximise solar gain, which it does impressively throughout the year. The ASHP works well but is very expensive to run, the electricity bill is considerably higher than the combined gas and electricity bill in our old property, with it's leaking single glazed windows and minimal insulation by modern standards, but the new house is warm and draught free throughout, unlike the older one.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

peterb wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 9:13am We moved last September, to a new build property with an air source heat pump. Underfloor heating throughout the ground-floor, radiators on the first floor. All windows double glazed and well fitted. Very few windows on the north side of the house, but plenty of glazing to the south so as to maximise solar gain, which it does impressively throughout the year. The ASHP works well but is very expensive to run, the electricity bill is considerably higher than the combined gas and electricity bill in our old property, with it's leaking single glazed windows and minimal insulation by modern standards, but the new house is warm and draught free throughout, unlike the older one.
Thats bad news. Does the noise from the fan disturb you?

Al
peterb

Post by peterb »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 9:55am
peterb wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 9:13am We moved last September, to a new build property with an air source heat pump. Underfloor heating throughout the ground-floor, radiators on the first floor. All windows double glazed and well fitted. Very few windows on the north side of the house, but plenty of glazing to the south so as to maximise solar gain, which it does impressively throughout the year. The ASHP works well but is very expensive to run, the electricity bill is considerably higher than the combined gas and electricity bill in our old property, with it's leaking single glazed windows and minimal insulation by modern standards, but the new house is warm and draught free throughout, unlike the older one.
Thats bad news. Does the noise from the fan disturb you?

Al
No, not at all, the heat pump is on the wall of the garage some way from the living areas. The large tank is inside the garage, which is reached through a utility room. The system does create a background noise when operating, presumably from the pump feeding the various heating zones, the manifold and pump being in a centrally sited under-stairs cupboard. It was noticeable when we first moved in, but we became used to it quite quickly. The ASHP system also provides plenty of hot water.
peterb

Post by peterb »

- I cannot see how heat pump systems could be easily retro-fitted into existing houses, given the amount of space required and the need for up dated insulation, draughtproofing, larger radiators and or underfloor heating. It's a non starter. However I note that an increasing number of electric boilers are becoming available, (presumably needing an upgrading of, or new electricity installation, given the high loading of many of them), but a much more practical solution for replacement of existing gas boilers, especially in small terraced houses.