Moving

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Moving

Post by Oldjohnw »

After twenty weeks since accepting an offer and 19 1/2 weeks since making an offer we finally get to exchange contracts today. Getting seven parties and their solicitors to do something more or less simultaneous has been difficult to say the least. Always within a group that size you will find one party who does not respond or who is hopelessly disorganised and has lost every bit of important paperwork.

So long as money can move around the country next Tuesday morning with reasonable speed we should move south that day.

We seem to have spent most of the last 3 months waiting for replies from people who are never in and shelling out money for searches for things we didn’t know existed. We feel as if we have single handed funded the solicitors and estate agents in Berwick for most of the next year. I have heard that the Stratford lawyer has been able to sponsor a new auditorium at The Globe.

The only searches we have not underwritten appear to be the searches for the Warwickshire Snow Leopard and Lord Lucan.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

John, similar to our experience, but ours was just 15 weeks.

Our conclusion...move to the Scottish house buying system.

Good luck with the move

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 9:37am John, similar to our experience, but ours was just 15 weeks.

Our conclusion...move to the Scottish house buying system.

Good luck with the move

Al

Thanks, Al.

Friends up there have recently moved. They think it is disastrous there now. Half a dozen surveys and each sealed offer just missed out. The house they sold produced offers with a £100,000 difference between the best and the worst. Lottery was how they described it.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 8:43am ...We seem to have spent most of the last 3 months waiting for replies from people who are never in and shelling out money for searches for things we didn’t know existed. We feel as if we have single handed funded the solicitors and estate agents in Berwick for most of the next year. I have heard that the Stratford lawyer has been able to sponsor a new auditorium at The Globe....
Not sure if you're serious or not :o - but wouldn't a Stratford (upon-Avon) lawyer sponsor a new auditorium at the The Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Anyway the painters finished the outside this morning. With the roof fixed and all the exterior woodwork scraped down, primed, undercoated and glossed the place looks great and is protected for the coming winter. Onto the inside with the collapsed ceilings and then a bit of a pause to save some pennies for more works....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ben@Forest wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 1:33pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 8:43am ...We seem to have spent most of the last 3 months waiting for replies from people who are never in and shelling out money for searches for things we didn’t know existed. We feel as if we have single handed funded the solicitors and estate agents in Berwick for most of the next year. I have heard that the Stratford lawyer has been able to sponsor a new auditorium at The Globe....
Not sure if you're serious or not :o - but wouldn't a Stratford (upon-Avon) lawyer sponsor a new auditorium at the The Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford?
Correct. And correct. I'm sure you get my drift :-)
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

....for the first time since 11th June I enjoyed a lay in to 0830am! Its been continual go go go since then. But the house is now beginning to look less like a neglected wreck.
Roofs repaired
Outside repainted
Ceilings replaced
Appliances tested and recommisioned
Massive garden gates repaired
Inside decoration commenced....

Started thinking about replacing the kitchen..

It goes on and on

Lucky we knew a retired builder and through him were able to access his network of skilled craftsmen...at a price.

Al
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

My BIL lives close to Marble Arch in a Georgian 3 story house. Well he did but has the builders doing extensive work inside so he's in a hotel whilst the work is carried out. Eight weeks so far and no sign of an end date.
I know what the house would fetch but you'd have to pay me to live there even when the work is finished.
London, you can keep it!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Franco, if I could afford a second home it would be in London. Just love it. Used to have a few days there every January. Museums, exhibitions, places of interest in the day, matinees, evening theatre or concerts and nice meals etc. So full of interest. What do they say "if you are tired of London..." Intend to do it some more and its part of why I have no desire to live abroad...no culture..

Watching my partner wallpapering, very relaxing.

Al
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Trouble is Al you can't live in any of these attractions.
I still think it's an expensive, noisy, crowded city not ideal to have a relaxing life. Better to watch your paint dry

:wink:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

No, I wouldnt wish to live in London either. Just like a few days culture there occasionally. Couldnt do what you have done either. I would miss this country and its culture terribly for all its faults. I guess thats why all the moaners stay here instead of doing the most logical thing.

Al
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

If I had the money I would have a base in the UK and keep the house here.
I find no one country offers the perfect life and after 19 years here I still miss things I don't have. Not just friends and family either.
A far richer friend has exactly this and when his wife was alive they spent about half the year here.
His lovely wife told me she loved her life in both countries.
I once put a list together with pluses and minuses I saw for here and the UK.
I had a few more pluses to France but not by much.
I find it easy to criticise either country, both have bad sides.
Of course Covid has thrown a spanner in the works and not seeing my eldest and the grandchildren for 2 years really hurts but as neither she nor I feel safe with travelling then it's zoom calls only. :(
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Franco, I like spending time in France too. I have a couple of options to use friends and family places. Florida too but thats too hot for me. So is France sometimes.

However, decorating today and a long bike ride with a mate tomorrow :D

Al
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Last post...

House is nice and habitable now. Sitting room comprehensively decorated and finished. Office refurbished and organised.
All boxes emptied and tip visits declining. Now time for a total break from property related matters, regathering strength. Wedding in a fortnight and a trip away after that.

Al
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Come on Al, let's hear a bit more romanticism: it's called a honeymoon. :)

Congrats and enjoy.

fausto.