Crisps

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NUKe

Re: Crisps

Post by NUKe »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 12:15pm I tell you what I fancy - a crisp sandwich! OK, not quite the fabulous thing a chip buttie can be - thick white bread, way too much butter, salt & vinegar and That's A Bingo!!
But a close second...
you are the devil incarnate Simon I am sat here telling myself my salad for lunch is just what I need and you do that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NUKe

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
al_yrpal wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 8:13am
philvantwo wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 8:04am Walker's owned by PepsiCo.
Thats even worse! Have you seen their Chief Exec, her aim is that everything we eat and drink must be provided by PepsiCo! We will all end up looking like Bunter :lol:

Al
Walkers, do a range of crisps "baked" These are low-fat like a quarter or less fat than a normal crisp, Also Lidl do a line of crisps which are lentil curls, these are so also very low-fat.
Once you've tasted them you are very unlikely to eat normal crisps again.!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hellhound wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 10:35am
al_yrpal wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 4:02pm Marmite....hate it!
Al :lol:
If you think Marmite is bad I would stay away from Vegemite :(
Both are absolutely disgusting :|
Was in Oz in '88 and brought back a jar of Vegemite.
Both daughters and Mrs Mick F like Marmite. I don't mind it and sometimes have it on toast - though rarely.

We all said YUK! to Vegemite.
Just chatted to Mrs Mick F about it, and she says we chucked it out as couldn't give it house-room.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 12:26pm Also Lidl do a line of crisps which are lentil curls, these are so also very low-fat.
I beg to differ.Tried them and they are horrible creations.A bit like curly cardboard but without the flavour :roll: Vegan offspring eat them but think they 'tolerate' them more than 'like' them :roll:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hellhound wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 5:16pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 12:26pm Also Lidl do a line of crisps which are lentil curls, these are so also very low-fat.
I beg to differ.Tried them and they are horrible creations.A bit like curly cardboard but without the flavour :roll: Vegan offspring eat them but think they 'tolerate' them more than 'like' them :roll:
I Will admit that the lidl lentil curls do actually suffer from quality issues on taste!

Even so when you go back to normal crisps when you've been eating low-fat crisps they seem very very greasy.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bought a multi-pack of Salt and Shake from the supermarket last week. Liked them so much, we bought a couple of multi-packs. Really like them.

Had a couple of Ready Salted left, and tried one of them the other day.
Yuk! :shock:
Far too salty! :shock:
It's a wonder I even ate them over the years.

Firstly, the Ready Salted.
Note the salt.
Salt is 1.3g per 100g
IMG_0677.jpg

Next is the Salt and Shake.
Salt is 0.6g in the sachet and zero in the crisps.
IMG_0676.jpg

Also ..............

The salt in the Ready Salted cannot be seen. Walkers must coat them with something as a "spray" as they are cooking. No sign of salt, just a over-the-top salty taste.

With Salt and Shake, it's real salt. The sort you may use on the table. We use a salt-grinder, and it seems just like that.
The whole sachet goes in or only part of it, and you shake the packet, and the salt lines the inside and you can see it. Yes, the crisps are coated, but not "infused" with salt.

Ready Salted IMHO are just another flavour like Cheese and Onion or Salt and Vinegar etc etc.
They just infuse the flavours, just like they do with Ready Salted .................... and hence the name.
It's just a flavouring.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, the salt in the sachet is "per pack" of 24g . Obviously, you are free to ignore the sachets, but they do amount to 2.4g per 100g of crisps (96g actually.)
PH

Post by PH »

I'll just stick this here.
Crisp omelette, I know it's wrong, but I like it
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.4270843
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 4:44pm FWIW, the salt in the sachet is "per pack" of 24g . Obviously, you are free to ignore the sachets, but they do amount to 2.4g per 100g of crisps (96g actually.)
Yes, I agree, but it's completely different.
Sorry if I was being a little vague about it.

Each crisp in a normal flavoured packet has no salt on it that you can see.
They are obviously "infused" with the flavour be it Salt and Vinegar, Marmite, Cheese and Onion, or whatever ...... and the salt is hidden and invisible.

With Salt and Shake, there is nothing in there except potato crisps.
Add the salt if you want, or add as much or as little or none ........ as you want. Add your own or whatever you want.
Even if you add the whole sachet of salt, the crisps don't get coated and dominated by salt. Most of it is left the packet surface no matter how much you "shake".
Mick F. Cornwall
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I recall once being able to buy hotdog and mustard flavor, hedgehog flavor, tomato sauce flavor... I even remember chocholate with chill although never tasted those...
Pete... I think
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

TimeTraveller wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 7:36am I recall once being able to buy hotdog and mustard flavor, hedgehog flavor, tomato sauce flavor... I even remember chocholate with chill although never tasted those...
hedgehog flavoured Crisps were a 'Not the nine o'clock news' Joke. A company made them for short while afterwards to make money for hedgehog rescue, the flavour was I believe beef flavouring but they were Vegatarian. I only ever managed to find one packet
NUKe

Post by TimeTraveller »

:lol: :lol: yep... i did try a couple of bags... just left school when those arrived
I think hotdog where Tudor crisps

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/ ... red-crisps
Pete... I think