Crisps

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hellhound

Re: Crisps

Post by Hellhound »

philvantwo wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 8:04am Walker's owned by PepsiCo.
Called Lays everywhere but the UK I believe.
There was a thing on Absolute Radio a few weeks ago asking if anyone actually chooses ready salted crisps if other options are available :lol:
It got me thinking and I can't remember anyone ever asking for plain/ready salted crisps in a pub.I know that I am the only person in our household to eat them.......when the Cheese and Onion have gone 8)

I can't say for sure if they taste more salty than they did but for me they can't ever be salty enough!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 8:13am
philvantwo wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 8:04am Walker's owned by PepsiCo.
Thats even worse! Have you seen their Chief Exec, her aim is that everything we eat and drink must be provided by PepsiCo! We will all end up looking like Bunter :lol:

Al
At least PepsiCo hasn't stolen Xmas!!! :lol:

I mean santa claus doesn't wear blue and aiui he only went red following a Coca-Cola Xmas ad campaign. Before that green was a common colour for his clothing I believe.

Personally I don't drink that rubbish. Those nasty, artificial drinks keep swapping out sugar for artificial sweeteners which I get very bad reactions to. You can't even trust the drinks that aren't sold as low in sugar or sugar free any more. It can be full sugar just a bit less because it's hard artificial sweetener added instead. They should reduce what's bad for you not replace it with another chemical likely to cause harm in another way.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:14amI mean santa claus doesn't wear blue and aiui he only went red following a Coca-Cola Xmas ad campaign. Before that green was a common colour for his clothing I believe.
There were red and white Santa Clauses well before Coca-Cola got involved.

"Did Coca-Cola Invent the Modern Image of Santa Claus?"
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-c ... refreshes/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus#20th_century

Jonathan
peterb

Post by peterb »

I NEVER eat flavoured crisps, always plain, 'ready salted'. Many brands now advertise lower salt content. I do remember Smith's came in grease proof paper packets, supplied to shops in cubic galvanised metal tins. They had quite a short shelf life, and I actually preferred them when they'd become a little bit limp. By then the blue wrap of salt had absorbed moisture too and was impossible to sprinkle. Every town of any size appeared to have it's own Smith's crisp factory, maybe to ensure freshness of product in the local delivery area. Always looked forward to visiting 'Aunty Amy' who rented a cottage owned by my grandmother, who kept a tin in the stone shelved larder. As part of the rent we were also provided with a real chicken for Christmas Lunch, this being the time when it was something of a luxury, before frozen chicken became available.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Hellhound wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 9:58am
There was a thing on Absolute Radio a few weeks ago asking if anyone actually chooses ready salted crisps if other options are available :lol:
It got me thinking and I can't remember anyone ever asking for plain/ready salted crisps in a pub.I know that I am the only person in our household to eat them.......when the Cheese and Onion have gone 8)

I can't say for sure if they taste more salty than they did but for me they can't ever be salty enough!
I actually prefer ready salted to the flavoured versions, among the Walkers stable that is. Pipers Chorizo flavour is another matter altogether.
As for saltiness, is 0.34g per 25g packet really that bad? Except that it's hard to eat just one 25g packet.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I always ask for 'plain' crisps if I'm in the pub and that's also what I buy if I want a packet with my lunchtime sandwiches.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

freeflow wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 5:24pm I always ask for 'plain' crisps if I'm in the pub and that's also what I buy if I want a packet with my lunchtime sandwiches.
+1 - I like to have a packet after an audax.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don’t eat crisps any more. I think they are possibly the most inefficient food available.

If I succumbed to temptation, once started I would eat a whole pack of six. I would then feel sick but would still be hungry.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 28 Jun 2021, 12:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I tell you what I fancy - a crisp sandwich! OK, not quite the fabulous thing a chip buttie can be - thick white bread, way too much butter, salt & vinegar and That's A Bingo!!
But a close second...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 12:15pm I tell you what I fancy - a crisp sandwich! OK, not quite the fabulous thing a chip buttie can be - thick white bread, way too much butter, salt & vinegar and That's A Bingo!!
But a close second...
Ditto but Cheese&Onion 8)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:20am
Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:14amI mean santa claus doesn't wear blue and aiui he only went red following a Coca-Cola Xmas ad campaign. Before that green was a common colour for his clothing I believe.
There were red and white Santa Clauses well before Coca-Cola got involved.

"Did Coca-Cola Invent the Modern Image of Santa Claus?"
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-c ... refreshes/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus#20th_century

Jonathan
There were also blue , green even brown I believe. It did coalesce around the red and white character as the only version about that time. I once read another piece that argued that the earliest versions of this xmas gift giving character was to be found in more sombre colours. It was a shift to red which is highly likely to have been accelerated by the 30s coke ads.

I guess if you find a few earlier red and white and ignore the earlier other colours you'd have a case to say CC wasn't the reason for the near universal switch to red. But since then do you see as many not in red? Which was my meaning with reference to CC. If only PepsiCo had the bright idea. Much prefer blue Xmas character and imagery.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F loves Marmite crisps.
Seems that local supermarkets haven't got any ........ and not for a few weeks either.

During the original lockdown, Marmite - generally in jars - and still isn't available in the big jars - was in short supply due to the brewer's yeast not being produced. Seems that the issue is there again?

Been looking at eBay etc for buying a box of Marmite crisps.

Doing some arithmetic ...........

Supermarkets sold packets of six at 25g for £1.20odd. Can't find them when looking.
eBay still seem to have boxes of 32 but at 32.5g for £14.95 with free delivery.

This is 21.5p (per 25g) from a supermarket vs 35p (per 25g) from eBay.

How much does she want the Marmite crisps? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Marmite....hate it!

Al :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Daughter2 has bought some from Poundland in Launceston. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

al_yrpal wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 4:02pm Marmite....hate it!
Al :lol:
If you think Marmite is bad I would stay away from Vegemite :(
Both are absolutely disgusting :|