Antibiotics in Australian meat.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Antibiotics in Australian meat.

Post by Mike Sales »

I read that in Australia antibiotics are permitted for use in farms as a growth promoter.
This is banned in the UK.
Sixteen times more in chooks and triple the amount in pigs.
I have needed a lot of antibiotics in my life, so I have a good reason to be very annoyed if this is true, but everybody should be outraged.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ean-brexit
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Re: Antibiotics in Australian meat.

Post by 661-Pete »

Will we be able to avoid the damaging effects of these antibiotics simply by not eating the doped meat?

I guess not. :evil:

This will in the long run harm even non-meat-eaters (like me) and vegetarians. How to stop it?

Boycotting meat products in the supermarket is pointless (I do that anyway :lol: ). So, what now?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:26pm Will we be able to avoid the damaging effects of these antibiotics simply by not eating the doped meat?

I guess not. :evil:

This will in the long run harm even non-meat-eaters (like me) and vegetarians. How to stop it?

Boycotting meat products in the supermarket is pointless (I do that anyway :lol: ). So, what now?
(Also as a vegetarian), I suspect that a lot of the meat eaten in the UK is processed as in tray meals - where I doubt the origin of the meat will even be on the packaging. "Cuts" of meat from butcher will be labelled but I suspect price will be more prominent and of greater importance to most.

I've no source for processed meals vs "cuts" of meat - guesswork but right or wrong most will not be placing antibiotics in production high on their list - it's something we have a Government to research, investigate and do the best for us (pity they don't do that any more).

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Australia can’t believe how good a deal they have.
Most noticeable was the UK statement saying they wouldn’t allow imported meat injected with growth hormones.
Very cleverly not mentioning infeed doping.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I find it difficult to believe any reponsible country still uses antibiotics as growth promoters.
Certainly we should not encourage this practice by importing meat from a country which does.
Overuse of antibiotics helps bacteria to evolve resistance, just as the covid virus evolves vaccine resistance.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:37pm I find it difficult to believe any reponsible country still uses antibiotics as growth promoters.
Certainly we should not encourage this practice by importing meat from a country which does.
Overuse of antibiotics helps bacteria to evolve resistance, just as the covid virus evolves vaccine resistance.
The thing that is so stupid about our use of antibiotics is I can remember back in the 70s (studying Zoology) being taught about antibiotic resistance, why the practice of feeding livestock preventative low doses was daft and the impact, how overuse medically and for non-bacteriological ailments would result in resistance, etc. We knew about this 45 years ago and still we fail to act and still we continue so many of those practices that result in resistance. And in the case of livestock all because good animal welfare standards mean less profit!

It's not some recent discovery or realisation, it's inadequate leadership (again).

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's at the centre of their government-sponsored factory style beef cattle industry (or so I read...).
And don't make the mistake of thinking that it'll be OK 'cos you can simply give Aussie meat the swerve in the supermarket, as a lot of the legistlation is extremely murky and will almost certainly mean that Aussie meat, packed as it will be with all sorts of tasty chemicals, will be perfect legal to use in all the many other ways that youll probably end up consuming it, ie at restaurants & cafes as well as all sorts of pre-produced food products from the low-end stuff like meat pies & burgers, through a whole raft of mid-range ready-meals and so on, up to high end products, from M&S, Waitrose etc.... This is where most meat is used and processed.
Meanwhile our own UK-based farmers will find their produce squeezed up to the top end of the value-added niche markets... if they're lucky and can sell any!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

We had this happen a few weeks ago.

Irresponsible hooligans or non-violent rebels with a just cause?

Could something similar occur once the Oz meat turns up?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

We had this happen a few weeks ago.
Life is getting increasingly confusing, I find... Look at Johnson's continuing ability to do well in approval ratings!! Re Maccas and protests, I'm stuck wondering which is the worst of the evils on offer - a pattie made from a chemical-rich carcass transported clear across the ruddy planet, or a plant-based, pretend-burger, complete with fake blood!! Rather a Hobson's choice, I think.
Mind-you, years ago when I was a motorbike despatch rider and ate on-the-go alot, my favourite fast-food product was Burger King's tasty Beanburger - oh yes!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Paulatic wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:35pm Australia can’t believe how good a deal they have.
Was Mr Tehan's inexperience, beginners luck! :lol: :|
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The danger is the production and spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria. This has been called a catastrophe. Routine operations and small infections could become dangerous. MRSA is just one variety.
Not eating Australian meat is irrelevant, it would not protect you.

This seems to be the origin of the original story.

https://www.saveourantibiotics.org/medi ... v-2020.pdf

The risk is the spread of these bacteria, from person to person, across our connected world.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibioti ... esistance/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume this will make the position of Northern Ireland even more difficult.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 7:48am I presume this will make the position of Northern Ireland even more difficult.
Well yes, but I think that antibiotic resistant bacteria spreading is a much bigger problem than Northern Ireland border difficulties.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mike Sales wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 7:55am
Well yes, but I think that antibiotic resistant bacteria spreading is a much bigger problem than Northern Ireland border difficulties.
For future, I'll find it easier if, when you start a thread, you list the bullet points we may discuss. (In the meantime, if "border difficulties" lead to any sort of flare up, then IMO it would be a problem.)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning, Check out the antibiotic episode in the "Doomwatch" series? (Can't recall the episode name, I have the DVD's)
The issue of mis-use etc was big then, but it is still a real problem!
Virtually every topic covered in that series are still high on out issues list, same stupid lack of real progress. MM