Pendo Leano, Go! Go! Go!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Pendo Leano, Go! Go! Go!

Post by simonineaston »

New London-Glasgow rail speed record to be attempted by Avanti West Coast
whizz whizz, toot toot - reminds me of something out of Roy Castle's Record Breakers ! See here article in The Scotsman.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: Pendo Leano, Go! Go! Go!

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the heads-up.

These attempts can be great for those who make them happen. And I see that there is some charity component.

But in terms of technology and international comparisons it's hard not to compare the maximum running speed of 201 kph with what's achieved in routine service elsewhere, let alone in record attempts and by prototypes, and Mallard's maximum of 203 kph in 1938.

Jonathan

"Railway speed record":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_speed_record
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I imagine a massively different experience for drivers and mates though!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

simonineaston wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 9:37am I imagine a massively different experience for drivers and mates though!
How so??
There are rules about these things...
A few years ago, there was a particularly unpleasant incident on a record breaking tgv test run :
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... train-sncf

As for speed, it's really not that important for small densely populated countries. Look at Switzerland, arguably Europe's best railway system, it has hardly any high speed railway and no particular plans to add more. It works best in larger countries with dispersed urban centres (spain and france are good examples of this, probably japan, but my japanese geography is a bit sketchy...)
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

What a waste of fuel.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I wonder what a car could do it in on fully closed roads?
It would never happen of course as it would be a logistical nightmare.AA route planner states it's 411.6miles and takes 6:52.That's at legal limits.
That would be a record attempt I'd like to see!

As philvantwo says a waste of fuel but these things do spark interest!
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, I wonder if this a Nicola Sturgeon Special forerunner? get her to the smoke to drip in Boris's ear in the shortest possible time!
Will this be a renewal of the East Coast - West Coast Line rivalry? LMS v LNER rematch!
Mallard broke doing the Record, never ran properly again. For me the Duchess Class was the Bee's Knees! That beautiful streamlining :P .
Stanier the King of Rail.
As someone has already stated we live on too small an island to really justify HS2. IGICB MM
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mallard carried on in service for a further 25 years after the record run?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

How so??
Well... one's modern and the other isn't.
roaring, oily, angry beast - boiler suit !
roaring, oily, angry beast - boiler suit !
all-electric in the cab - white shirt !
all-electric in the cab - white shirt !
S
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

simonineaston wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 12:07pm
How so??
Well... one's modern and the other isn't.2d1cc05fe9cc83068d2c62e2dce2b8a6.jpgTrain1JPG.jpg
Ah yes. Sorry, I misunderstood.
One minor quirk of my job is the number of pictures that get taken of me (mostly by random members of the public), and where in the public domain they might end up...(this is one of my Euston colleagues).
Regarding waste - I think that this is part of a marketing drive to encourage people back onto public transport. Which seems like A Good Thing to me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pendodave wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:37amAs for speed, it's really not that important for small densely populated countries. Look at Switzerland, arguably Europe's best railway system, it has hardly any high speed railway and no particular plans to add more. It works best in larger countries with dispersed urban centres (spain and france are good examples of this, probably japan, but my japanese geography is a bit sketchy...)
The Swiss system is well connected to its neighbouring high-speed systems.

Japan is bigger than Britain, but not enormously bigger.

merseymouth wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:50am As someone has already stated we live on too small an island to really justify HS2.
Neither geographical nor political boundaries need to be barriers. Britain already has a high speed connection to France and onwards.

Nothing in transport delivers its maximum benefits without integrated policies, but high speed rail could replace a lot of commercial aviation and personal car use in western Europe, including Britain.

Jonathan

PS: It missed the record by 21s:
https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/uk-n ... wly-fails/
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What a shame! So close.
I was reading about the Japanese bullet trains the other day. They sound rather good. I was partic. interested in the so-called ekiben - and now I'm hungry!!
ekiben-wappameshi_0.jpg
S
mjr

Post by mjr »

Another attempt next Thursday. They should put a bike on it, for luck.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
peetee

Post by peetee »

It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad. Highly criticised and consequently abandoned British design and engineering, running on less than ideal infrastructure, creates a fastest time.
37 years later a foreign built train using the same technology, abandoned by the UK, on improved infrastructure fails to break the record.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

peetee wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:09am It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad. Highly criticised and consequently abandoned British design and engineering, running on less than ideal infrastructure, creates a fastest time.
37 years later a foreign built train using the same technology, abandoned by the UK, on improved infrastructure fails to break the record.
Maybe British Rail wasn't all bad? Perhaps what we should do is take a look at it and maybe replicate what it was rather good at.

Oh wait... :lol: