Pendo Leano, Go! Go! Go!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Pendo Leano, Go! Go! Go!

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 11:15amMaybe British Rail wasn't all bad? Perhaps what we should do is take a look at it and maybe replicate what it was rather good at.

Oh wait...
Wolmar: "The Great British Railway is a fudge riding for a fail":
https://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/2021/ ... or-a-fail/
includes:

"Anyone would think from the sweeping criticism in the document that this complicated structure had been created by a Labour government which the Tories were now having to dismantle. But no, it was all the idea of the Conservative administration led by John Major in the mid 1990s. They didn’t listen to any of the critics and broke up British Rail, which independent research had shown was the most efficient railway in Europe. Indeed, the InterCity service developed by BR was highly profitable and even Network SouthEast, which provided the London commuter services that traditionally had lost hundreds of millions annually, broke even."

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 9:25am
Bonefishblues wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 11:15amMaybe British Rail wasn't all bad? Perhaps what we should do is take a look at it and maybe replicate what it was rather good at.

Oh wait...
Wolmar: "The Great British Railway is a fudge riding for a fail":
https://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/2021/ ... or-a-fail/
includes:

"Anyone would think from the sweeping criticism in the document that this complicated structure had been created by a Labour government which the Tories were now having to dismantle. But no, it was all the idea of the Conservative administration led by John Major in the mid 1990s. They didn’t listen to any of the critics and broke up British Rail, which independent research had shown was the most efficient railway in Europe. Indeed, the InterCity service developed by BR was highly profitable and even Network SouthEast, which provided the London commuter services that traditionally had lost hundreds of millions annually, broke even."

Jonathan
I think history will be kind to BR, which became a whipping boy for no reason I could fathom (catering aside, maybe). I happen to come from railway stock, on both sides of my family :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If BR struggled it was because it was starved of investment.
John