The Italian Job

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: The Italian Job

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 3:54pm
Jdsk wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:38pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:34pm I think we'll end up with "range extenders" being either aluminium air battery or similar swappable technology (fully recyclable, relatively low power but very decent energy density)
Is that range-extending with an ICE still onboard? Or all battery, but rapidly swappable?
No ICE, just a rapidly swappable "second battery" - aluminium air has impressive energy density, but isn't as rechargeable as LiIon. The product can however be perfectly recycled back into a new pack - the energy cost isn't great, but it's a pretty good, and easily achievable solution to the perceived issue.
Thanks

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 18 Jul 2021, 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not only, "You're only supposed the blow the bloody doors off!" line, but my favourite is the Irene Handle line ............... "Oh yes, Annette."
"A net?" asked Charlie Croker.
"Annette. Will you bring the tea in?"
:lol: :lol:

Let alone the Professor Peach bit:
"Co-operation."
"What?" asked Croker.
"If there was a convex mirror on the top of that flag-pole, and 2degs vertical 15degs horizontal, I could see straight into Matron's bedroom! Of course, I couldn't do it myself, that would need co-operation, see?"

:D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

"If there was a convex mirror on the top of that flag-pole, and 2degs vertical 15degs horizontal, I could see straight into Matron's bedroom! Of course, I couldn't do it myself, that would need co-operation, see?"
Sounds like a line straight out of this forum! :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 5:32pm Not only, "You're only supposed the blow the bloody doors off!" line, but my favourite is the Irene Handle line ............... "Oh yes, Annette."
"A net?" asked Charlie Croker.
"Annette. Will you bring the tea in?"
:lol: :lol:

Let alone the Professor Peach bit:
"Co-operation."
"What?" asked Croker.

:D :D
Fantastic, and utterly non PC. Wouldn’t get made now.

A colleague of my Father’s was a Mr Buzzer, there was a strong suggestion for calling their daughter Isabella.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Some fantastic lines, often overshadowed by the "blow the b****y doors off" one.

On paying the valet guy to retrieve his Aston Martin:
"you must have shot an awful lot of tigers?"
"Yes I used machine gun"

On breaking into Mr Bridger's prison toilet:
"You've been put up to this, haven't you? You've been bribed to upset my natural rhythm and ruin my health"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Chris56 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 9:26am Some fantastic lines, often overshadowed by the "blow the b****y doors off" one.

On paying the valet guy to retrieve his Aston Martin:
"you must have shot an awful lot of tigers?"
"Yes I used machine gun"

On breaking into Mr Bridger's prison toilet:
"You've been put up to this, haven't you? You've been bribed to upset my natural rhythm and ruin my health"
Yes. It works well in so many different ways: the script, the locations and the music in addition to the plot and the acting.

For me the weakest part by far is the Benny Hill plot line and his performance, especially when compared to Noël Coward's. At the time it was very surprising that Coward did this, and it would be nice to think that he had a vision of how good the film might be, but in that business that's rarely the case. And of course no-one was even sure how it would end...

Jonathan

PS:
Canby also expressed concern that Coward's appearance in the film, although intended to be kind, 'exploits him in vaguely unpleasant ways' by surrounding his character with images of the royal family, which had not knighted him at the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Italian_Job#Reception
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Keats in the prison (who brought him the magazine with the picture of the queen) was in actual fact in real life Coward's lover.
Mick F. Cornwall
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

For those interested in the Mini's history and development - and, as the title of the video says, the many, many failed Mini reboots...

It's a bit anoraky but I found it fascinating - I've seen some of the fellow's other videos and he's an excellent car historian (I used to be a pure petrolhead but nowadays I'm just obsessed with bicycles and cycling, haven't even run a car for over ten years, but I suppose old habits die hard).

FWIW I far prefer Rover's rejected submissions for the modern Mini successor over BMW's (at the end of the video) - proper progress over a compromised kitsch retro homage.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Do you know AROnline?
https://www.aronline.co.uk

: - )

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 3:31pm Do you know AROnline?

Jonathan
Thanks, I've never seen that, I'll have a browse - bit like going down the rabbit hole, though! :)

I'd almost forgotten about this but when I was growing up I wanted to be a car stylist/aerodynamicist/motorsport race engineer or whatever. I went to uni to study mechanical engineering but only stuck it for one term - just wasn't for me. Still mildly interested, although I far prefer bicycles and cycling - cars don't make much sense to me any more.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Minis, we had eight of them over the years.

When we eventually stopped driving one, both our daughters carried on with them. I had all sorts of stuff and tools to look after the Minis over the years. Twenty years ago, we attended an auto jumble event, and sold loadsa stuff, and as we'd recently scrapped a Mini, we had all the bits of the engine and gearbox and all the body trims, bonnet, boot lid, doors ...... plus the instruments, the seats and carpets, petrol tank, steering wheel and switches, wipers, windows ......... the lot!
Made an absolute bomb.

I don't do the DIY stuff with cars anymore. Life's too short to "get out and get under" these days. Rarely even open the bonnet on our Toyota. I know where the bonnet release is, but I actually don't bother. I pay Toyota to service the car annually, so they can do it.

Here's an exchange of iMessages with Daughter2 today regarding the ramps I used to have.
Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 19.50.41.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS, the business at the White Hart and the Rising Sun was to do with charity fund raising.
K4G.

https://keen4gambia.uk/fundraising
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kylecycler wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 4:22pm
Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 3:31pm Do you know AROnline?
Thanks, I've never seen that, I'll have a browse - bit like going down the rabbit hole, though!

The ones that weren't built are especially interesting...

Jonathan
jb

Post by jb »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 1:51pm AIUI, this is a Russian all-electric version of the Land Rover imported via the Czech Republic to make it European.

https://spartan.mwmotors.cz/ev-traditional/
Why does it have an exhaust pipe?
Cheers
J Bro
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jb wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 9:18pm
thirdcrank wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 1:51pm AIUI, this is a Russian all-electric version of the Land Rover imported via the Czech Republic to make it European.

https://spartan.mwmotors.cz/ev-traditional/
Why does it have an exhaust pipe?
Well spotted.

"The MWW Spartan range will for the first time bring the UAZ 4×4 platform to Right hand drive markets. The full range (100% electric & petrol models) will launch in the UK in Q2 2020. The electric version in Left hand drive will be introduced on a phased basis throughout Europe later in the year."
https://mwmotors.cz/spartan/

Jonathan