Racism & prejudice in the wake of Italy's win (football)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Racism & prejudice in the wake of Italy's win (football)

Post by pete75 »

All this vileness generated from a bunch of millionaires, dressed in underwear and kicking a bag of wind about in a field.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2021/07/ita ... 020-final/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800431
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
peterb

Re: And so it begins....

Post by peterb »

- and Boris & Co expect these people to behave in a responsible manner from July 19th :shock:
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

There are some very strange football fans about.
Some of the racism on social media aimed at three young players in particular is quite alarming.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is depressing stuff, but it isn't new.

I know the three black players targeted by abuse are obscenely well paid, but I feel for them and their families all the same. I hope they tap in to all the words of support coming from left, right and centre, and continue to believe, as I do, that the great majority of folk out there are basically decent and fair minded.

Rashford is, for me, a prime example of someone who has found fame and fortune but used it for good. He makes an excellent role model. I hope he comes out of this alright.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's not the BMW that makes BMW drivers a little pushy, they are like that to start with and they happen to like BMWs.

Same as football hooligans. It's not football that makes them like that, it's that hooligans like to be football fanatics.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 1:09pm All this vileness generated from a bunch of millionaires, dressed in underwear and kicking a bag of wind about in a field.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2021/07/ita ... 020-final/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800431
I don't do "Social Media" but I had the impression that racism, misogamy, bullying, etc. was an ongoing problem politicians have failed to address (generally coping-out to the "self-regulation" mantra with legal exemptions to ensure courts can't impact profits).

So, if it really is an ongoing problem, why do politicians suddenly spring into action when a few wealthy high profile people receive the abuse (meetings in No 10 next day) after they've ignored everybody else suffering for years? If my understanding is correct there is a strong message there.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 11:34am It's not the BMW that makes BMW drivers a little pushy, they are like that to start with and they happen to like BMWs.

Same as football hooligans. It's not football that makes them like that, it's that hooligans like to be football fanatics.
Except it does appear to encourage tribalism, fed by the press.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Can't help but wonder if Brexit has had an influence on this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 83389.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 11:34am It's not the BMW that makes BMW drivers a little pushy, they are like that to start with and they happen to like BMWs.

Much as I don't significantly respect professional soccer players regarding their antics on field (the lack of respect for the ref in particular, both in terms of directly verbal respect and in terms of "trying it on" when diving and grabbing a piece of anatomy that was nowhere near a collision) - Rashford was certainly a strong voice last year when UK.gov decided that malnourished children didn't need to be fed.

One could easily make the case (in that I think it would be hard to suggest otherwise) that the vitriol expressed has nothing to do with soccer, in the same way that the violence in NI had nothing to do with Catholicism or Protestantism.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

For some reason some folk grow up hating people who appear different to themselves. My suspicion is that it is to do with problems within their family dynamics. We just have to keep working on it.

These days, incidents of racial abuse get more media coverage than they once did, so we see it. But my own experience of the views of people around me is that racial tolerance is as high as it has ever been with overt racism declining. We need to build on the progress that has been made. It was heartening to see the the way that the vandalised mural of Rashford became a focal point for messages of love and support following a hate fuelled act. So we shouldn't despair. We should continue to espouse tolerance of minorities, safe in the knowledge that overall we are winning. In spite of these sickening incidents, things are improving slowly, decade by decade. We just need to use setbacks as a reminder that the job isn't finished. There is still a lot to do.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

But there isn't a fixed amount of hooliganism that has to be expressed somewhere.

pwa wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 5:15am These days, incidents of racial abuse get more media coverage than they once did, so we see it. But my own experience of the views of people around me is that racial tolerance is as high as it has ever been with overt racism declining. We need to build on the progress that has been made. It was heartening to see the the way that the vandalised mural of Rashford became a focal point for messages of love and support following a hate fuelled act. So we shouldn't despair. We should continue to espouse tolerance of minorities, safe in the knowledge that overall we are winning. In spite of these sickening incidents, things are improving slowly, decade by decade. We just need to use setbacks as a reminder that the job isn't finished. There is still a lot to do.
Yes, enormous recent improvements in tolerance. And even faster for tolerance of homosexuality.

Perhaps instead of so much of criticism of other people we should spend a bit of time on why those improvements have occurred so quickly...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 5:15am For some reason some folk grow up hating people who appear different to themselves. My suspicion is that it is to do with problems within their family dynamics. We just have to keep working on it.
On causes and countermeasures I recommend "Better Angels... ". By far the best overview that I've ever come across.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bette ... Our_Nature

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 15 Jul 2021, 8:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I grew up in the 1950s in an area where black people and Asian people were disliked. They were thought of as inferior, shouldn’t be here and were accused of the same things as today: filling the hospitals, taking the jobs and living in the houses which should have been for “us”.

That view was, I believe, pretty general there. Now it would be in small, but vocal, pockets.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Well, I supposed my BMW did make me more than a bit "Pushy"? It was an Isetta 300, the broken doughnuts meant you did have to push it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . MM
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Oldjohnw wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 8:51am I grew up in the 1950s in an area where black people and Asian people were disliked. They were thought of as inferior, shouldn’t be here and were accused of the same things as today: filling the hospitals, taking the jobs and living in the houses which should have been for “us”.
That view was, I believe, pretty general there. Now it would be in small, but vocal, pockets.
That still happens.I don't think it ever really went away.