Space

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Space

Post by Oldjohnw »

So Richard Branson, spends hundreds of millions on his little adventure (there are those who consider where he went wasn't quite space). He now needs a massive capital injection to go forward.

I believe this is the same gentleman who needed millions to bail out his airline and who sued the NHS, twice, because he failed in a bid to buy up bits.

Not to mention his railway subsidy.

And Mr Bezos, tax avoider-in-chief, is next.

The question is, is there any benefit here for mankind? This questions is genuine.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 13 Jul 2021, 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
merseymouth

Re: Space

Post by merseymouth »

Nil, Zilch, Diddly Squat, Nowt, Bugger All! However you look at it it is a complete waste on money. I don't know about his autobiography, but he's definitely lost his marbles :lol: . MM
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It will be interesting (only mildly interesting) to read the Private Eye take on this. For years they have been mocking Beardy for regularly putting back the date when this would be reality and now he has done it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’m not knocking the achievement: just wondering about the benefit.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
It's a bit like combing your hair.
You don't have to but we still do it :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi NA, Many of us no longer have to comb the Barnet! That is unless they have nostalgia for the activity :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Space the final frontier..............why do we go out for a ride on our bikes when we have been there before
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think my answer to this is fairly predictable! (see below).

Likewise, one could argue, what will be the 'benefit to humankind' of the James Webb Space Telescope, due to be launched this coming November? Nevertheless, I do hope this one does go off without a hitch (remembering the unfortunate history of the Hubble!). I see nothing wrong with the human race's thirst for fundamental scientific knowledge. Even if it does cost billions...

And the public's appreciation of Hubble, once they got it working, was impressive (I have several posters of Hubble prints, I'm sure lots of you do as well). JWST will be different of course, it will work mostly in the infrared, but I'm sure it'll produce plenty of fascinating stuff.

Something to stay alive for, perhaps.... :? (seeing as there's not much else :( )

As to batty Branson, let him spend his money as he wishes. Just so long as it's his money. I don't give a flying ****.....
Last edited by 661-Pete on 13 Jul 2021, 11:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

yakdiver wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 11:34am Space the final frontier..............why do we go out for a ride on our bikes when we have been there before
Does £1bn come in to it?

My point with Branson was that whilst it was his millions from one hand his other hand took millions from the state.

Bezos is much the same. Whilst if I had not paid taxes I would still not be a billionaire I would be a lot wealthier than I am.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 13 Jul 2021, 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There is a difference between space for tourism and for science. There's been quite some innovation over the years that came out of necessity with the space program. That is before you get into the advance in knowledge, communication tech, navigation, monitoring or planet for weather, land use change, global warming, archeology and so on.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Nearly forgot, private space companies are also a cheaper way to get into space for science, civil and military reasons. Even nasa are planning on using private space companies instead of building their own craft in the future. It's cheaper for them.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A lot of you like strava don't you?
I am here. Where are you?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 8:27am So Richard Branson, spends hundreds of millions on his little adventure (there are those who consider where he went Washington quite space). He now needs a massive capital injection to go forward.
Y'what?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Audax67 wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 2:10pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 8:27am So Richard Branson, spends hundreds of millions on his little adventure (there are those who consider where he went Washington quite space). He now needs a massive capital injection to go forward.
Y'what?
Oops!

Wasn't quite space.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 1:38pm Nearly forgot, private space companies are also a cheaper way to get into space for science, civil and military reasons. Even nasa are planning on using private space companies instead of building their own craft in the future. It's cheaper for them.
I wasn't aware NASA were planning of sending the mega rich nearly into space. Private might be "cheaper" in he short term but what is the cost to the human race. NASA research is public domain and their discoveries open to all; private companies seek to profit from their own patented/copyrighted R&D (paid for by NASA).

Branson's spacecraft thingy has always been reported at being targeted for "space tourism" rather than progressing the human race knowledge and awareness.

Maybe e mega rich are providing us with an insight into the sort of people they are e.g. Branson spends his cash on personal enjoyment, others find vaccine programs for developing countries. What does that say about the true character of these people (and the tax breaks we have given them).

Ian