Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Post by Tangled Metal »

Charlie boy at it again with the connivance of the British bullcarp corporation.

2.5 million using foodbanks in 2020/21 and only 38500 small farms under 20 hectares. Which is more important in the grand scheme of things?

What's your view on this?
Oldjohnw

Re: Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Post by Oldjohnw »

He seemed to me to be spot on. But it’s a pity it’s coming from him who will not struggle to pay more for his food and indeed might well prosper.

The need for food banks is neither Charles’s nor the BBC’s responsibility but, entirely, government policy.

I am not sure about deciding which is more important. It is all part of a whole. Climate change and soil degradation through excessive intensive farming made possible by chemicals will ultimately reduce food supply unless it is addressed. And the poor will feel it most.

Unless the situation is addressed, which IMV Charles was doing, it will only get worse. But it can only happen with government policy.

PS I am not a monarchist.
John
gbnz

Re: Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Post by gbnz »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 6:45am Charlie boy at it again with the connivance of the British bullcarp corporation.

2.5 million using foodbanks in 2020/21 and only 38500 small farms under 20 hectares. Which is more important in the grand scheme of things?

What's your view on this?
If I were permitted to use a food bank, I'd happily pick up food FOC. The reality of the situation is that if you provide a system, people use it

And plenty of small, dodgy farmers around.
Last edited by gbnz on 14 Jul 2021, 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Deleted

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 14 Jul 2021, 9:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

IMV = in my view. Not spurious, widely used.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"In My View"

Jonathan

SNAP!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I do acknowledge the frustration in coming across acronyms when I don’t know the meaning. It can cause people to feel left out but these things do become a bit second nature in the way of modern communications.
John
PH

Post by PH »

gbnz wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 8:25am If I were permitted to use a food bank, I'd happily pick up food FOC.
But you're not. That isn't the way it works, it isn't people choosing to use food banks, it's usually people with an understanding of their circumstances referring them.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Would it not be better to standardize a set of acronyms for text? ie have IMO ( in my opinion ) for " in my view " since it means basically the same thing. That would limit the confusion. Eg I could start making acronyms up and put up IMB ( in my book ) or IIHAOTIWIWB ( if I had an opinion this is what it would be )
I am here. Where are you?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

gbnz wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 8:25am

If I were permitted to use a food bank, I'd happily pick up food FOC. The reality of the situation is that if you provide a system, people use it

https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/ne ... ood-banks/
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 8:51am "In My View"

Jonathan

SNAP!
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - yes, what about it?

I mean it's completely relevant, but I do think you should have elaborated :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 6:45am Charlie boy at it again with the connivance of the British bullcarp corporation.
Have you got a link where he's telling people using food banks to spend more? Be surprised if you have, the two subjects are not linked.
Food is too cheap, and the quality is poor, individuals and the environment would benefit from taking more interest in where and how their food is produced. It needn't cost a fortune, though it can take some effort.
One of the larger groups of food bank users are those who's circumstances have changed and are awaiting the start of the benefits they're entitled to. That could easily be resolved, the delay of up to two months never used to exist, there's a huge number of people without the resources to cover them for that period.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Many people consider poverty is your own fault, until it happens to you.
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 9:36am
Jdsk wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 8:51am "In My View"

Jonathan

SNAP!
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - yes, what about it?

I mean it's completely relevant, but I do think you should have elaborated :wink:
:lol:
I am here. Where are you?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm still at the stage of finding it difficult to understand how and why we have food banks here in the UK at all...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)