Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Post by Cowsham »

What is said rich person saying ? Is it that more organic food should be donated by people or farms or received by people in need of food ? Which is it?
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Re: Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Post by Cowsham »

Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 2:04pm I heard him and he did not tell people using Foodbanks to buy organic and spend more money on organic food.
Spend???
I am here. Where are you?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

axel_knutt wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 12:12pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:57amIt's notable that this Report....doesn't make the BBC Home page, even in the Food subsection.
It's not published until tomorrow.
It was reported on R4 Today this morning though?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cowsham wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 2:08pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 2:04pm I heard him and he did not tell people using Foodbanks to buy organic and spend more money on organic food.
Spend???
Just what the OP says in his title. Not my words.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps the big issue here is the appropriate role for the heir apparent in a constitutional monarchy.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 3:26pm Perhaps the big issue here is the appropriate role for the heir apparent in a constitutional monarchy.
Whilst I am not a monarchist I am more interested in what he actually says then whether or not people think he has a right to express a view.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 9:39am
Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 6:45am Charlie boy at it again with the connivance of the British bullcarp corporation.
Have you got a link where he's telling people using food banks to spend more? Be surprised if you have, the two subjects are not linked.
Food is too cheap, and the quality is poor, individuals and the environment would benefit from taking more interest in where and how their food is produced. It needn't cost a fortune, though it can take some effort.
One of the larger groups of food bank users are those who's circumstances have changed and are awaiting the start of the benefits they're entitled to. That could easily be resolved, the delay of up to two months never used to exist, there's a huge number of people without the resources to cover them for that period.
If it were to become more expensive there'd be even more people relying on foodbanks. Yours is a rich man's view.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Food is too cheap
Its not that simple. Some food is cheap, for sure and the reason is that the prices are artificially manipulated in order to control our purchasing. The food processing industry knows exactly which buttons to press and how - they spend millions researching the subject. While it is entirely possible (and not that difficult) to create tasty & nourishing food from cheap ingredients - second & third world countries are really good it this - we have let the food-processors rip on our diet and are paying the price. We are being manipulated in exactly the same way as gamblers, drinkers and smokers... and with exactly the same sort of lethal consequences... Education and literacy is absolutely key in all this. It is no coincidence that the food industry fight tooth and nail to avoid clear labelling regulations
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 4:50pm
Food is too cheap
Its not that simple.
What's your point? You say it isn't that simple, then go to lengths to explain how simple it is :?:
So little of the cost of a supermarket shop goes on produce, we've been conned into thinking it's good value when the opposite is true.
I eat well on a budget of no more than £20 a week, it isn't exclusively for the rich. I'm not telling anyone what they should do, I just despair at those who think we don't have a choice. Or that value is directly related to volume.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What's your point?
My point is to be cross, upset and disappointed - oh, and hungry! I'm off to cook a minestrone with beans & vegetables - not that I'm Italian. Nomnomnom :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 1:48pm Afaik most people have a hierarchy of needs and wants. Safety, shelter, water, food, I guess are needs.
Unlike your sensationalist headline, I don't think the charlie has said anything about those suffering poverty, the points made were about the general population. You can see here the detailed breakdown of household expenditure
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... eandtrends

It seems quite clear to me that we don't prioritise food very highly, it's a very obvious difference if you glance across the channel.
I live cheaply, I choose to have an income on a par with those on long term benefits (I appreciate having the choice is a luxury) It doesn't stop me eating well, it just means it's a little more effort to do so. I'm not telling you to do so, I'm saying it's wrong for you to dismiss it as a possibility.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 5:22pm
simonineaston wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 4:50pm
Food is too cheap
Its not that simple.
What's your point? You say it isn't that simple, then go to lengths to explain how simple it is :?:
So little of the cost of a supermarket shop goes on produce, we've been conned into thinking it's good value when the opposite is true.
I eat well on a budget of no more than £20 a week, it isn't exclusively for the rich. I'm not telling anyone what they should do, I just despair at those who think we don't have a choice. Or that value is directly related to volume.

No more than £20 a week? Single mother on benefits with 3 children that's 80 quid - how do you think she can manage that?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 8:34am
Oh thanks, I've deleted it.
Last edited by gbnz on 14 Jul 2021, 11:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thank you.

I've deleted my original comment. Please feel free to do the same with the quotation if you wish.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The report which Charles was, in effect, prefacing, answers many of the question raised here. There is nothing anywhere where people relying on food banks are being told to spend more (Spending money on food whilst using a foodbank is a bit of an contradiction anyway).

The reverse is actually being proposed.

Many things will cost more but unless we arrest what we are doing they will cost even more as climate breaks down. Ensuring the poor have enough is another but related issue and should be addressed. We will not help anyone the way we are going and must not ignore climate in order to help out manufacturers of processed foods.

I’m less sure about prescribing fruit and veg. They should be more affordable. Cookery at school might help in learning how to use them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

National Food Strategy: Prescribe vegetables, tax sugar and salt, says report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57838103
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 15 Jul 2021, 7:46am, edited 1 time in total.
John