Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 12:01pmThat's good to know, but what's the term for dropping all or most of the vowels in one word as in ppl from people?
Disemvowelling.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Re: Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food.

Post by simonineaston »

Like most grammar, spelling & punctation, abbreviations & acronyms are on the face ot it supposed to make life easier, by improving the intelligability of the writing. However, there's often more to it than that - subtle alternative agenda. For example, their use could simply be to save the writer time and effort, and not instead to help the reader... another less agreeable reason is as an exlusion technique - that is to try to shut out the people who are not 'in the know'... What fun it all is!! What curious animals we all are.
One possible pov (see what I did there??) might be that any phrase that is so anodyn or cliched that it can readily be reduced to a handful of letters is so meaningless that it should simply be omitted.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 10:57amIt's notable that this Report....doesn't make the BBC Home page, even in the Food subsection.
It's not published until tomorrow.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

There is no evidence that Charles told people who need food banks to spend more on organic. I have read a number of reports on his comment.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I haven't the stats but I suspect that in this country there are fewer people in absolute poverty - totally penniless - than ever before
Clearly, the theory of universal benefit is that no-one shall be left without an income. I don't know about the numbers of families in unemployment, but I do know that poverty while in work is a serious issue... see the report issued by the TUC earlier today here. And these are the sort of people who are likely to be working so many and such uneven hours, and will certainly find it difficult to make reasonable plans to prepare, cook and eat a decent communal meal, with all the satisfaction, cohesion and pleasure that can bring to a family.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Disemvowelling.
Thanks for that. dsmvwllng may help me remember it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I do know that poverty while in work is a serious issue.
All I'm trying to say is that it's relative poverty. I'm not suggesting that that is fun.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 12:52pm
Disemvowelling.
Thanks for that. dsmvwllng may help me remember it.
: - )

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 12:43pm There is no evidence that Charles told people who need food banks to spend more on organic. I have read a number of reports on his comment.
Is that organic whole foods or processed foods?
I try to eat whole foods.

Does anyone here know what the story is about and why it matters that it's prince Charles involved as opposed to some other celebrity?
I am here. Where are you?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

He wrote an essay for Radio 4, ahead of a major food and farming report coming out tomorrow.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... hreat.html

As for whether it was organic wholemeal etc, I am referring to the thread title in which the OP stated “Rich person tells people at foodbank to spend more on organic…..food”. There is no evidence, as far as I can see, that he told them any such thing.

The topic is, however, important.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Re: Rich person tells ppl at foodbank to spend more on organic, small family farm produced food."

And it has to go cheep.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 13.39.23.png

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Not just the Gruniad (and me) that does typos, then. Love you might have said, typos cannot be simplistically divided between left and right.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PH wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 9:39am
Tangled Metal wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 6:45am Charlie boy at it again with the connivance of the British bullcarp corporation.
Have you got a link where he's telling people using food banks to spend more? Be surprised if you have, the two subjects are not linked.
Food is too cheap, and the quality is poor, individuals and the environment would benefit from taking more interest in where and how their food is produced. It needn't cost a fortune, though it can take some effort.
One of the larger groups of food bank users are those who's circumstances have changed and are awaiting the start of the benefits they're entitled to. That could easily be resolved, the delay of up to two months never used to exist, there's a huge number of people without the resources to cover them for that period.
It was on the BBC news about 6am. A report where he was telling people they should be supporting small family farms, which are Apparently all now going out of business, who also happen to produce good quality, organic foods that we should all be buying. As in sure you're aware in supermarkets, where most ppl get all their food shop, organic means premium pricing. So my inference is that Charlie boy is also effectively saying eat organic. Also saying spend more of your hard earned on food.

Afaik most people have a hierarchy of needs and wants. Safety, shelter, water, food, I guess are needs. Expensive, organic food that might be better for the planet in the long term isn't anywhere close to a need but a want for when you can safely afford it. We're fairly comfortably financially but we won't be if we have to divert money to cover the prince's passions for environmental farming practices no matter how right they might be. It's this call for something when the country patently isn't able to provide what is needed now, let alone what is the future ideal.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 1:33pm He wrote an essay for Radio 4, ahead of a major food and farming report coming out tomorrow.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... hreat.html

As for whether it was organic wholemeal etc, I am referring to the thread title in which the OP stated “Rich person tells people at foodbank to spend more on organic…..food”. There is no evidence, as far as I can see, that he told them any such thing.

The topic is, however, important.

Not wholemeal just whole.
I am here. Where are you?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I heard him and he did not tell people using Foodbanks to buy organic and spend more money on organic food.
John