MOT Motorcycle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

MOT Motorcycle

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Has anyone ever been asked for a deposit to book an Mot over the phone?
Do you need to pay up front if you were to book online?

Just wondered as mot station wanted 50% deposit................

What information does mot station have access to.....................does it have access to your address etc?
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 16 Jul 2021, 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Re: MOT Motorcycle

Post by Jdsk »

I haven't.

Jonathan
millimole

Post by millimole »

New one on me, but we live in strange times
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 4:52pm Hi,
Has anyone ever been asked for a deposit to book an Mot over the phone?
Do you need to pay up front if you were to book online?

Just wondered as mot station wanted 50% deposit................

What information does mot station have access to.....................does it have access to your address etc?
Not heard of that, they may have been let down previously. Not sure if Covid precautions means it takes longer to do an MOT so a missed booking has more of an impact on income.

MOT stations are connected to an online system which logs times, result and other details 'live', so the garage may be able to see registered users details via the DVLA.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Struggled to insure bike as its an import........well what motorcycle isn't, reminds me of the loading a car insurer said......its loaded because its foreign :roll:

Its registered with DVLA but the model number which is the frame number does not appear on the VIN number register so you cant insure via web sites.

Anyway a broker has insured it, 200 cc and an extra £51 for to add commuting :?
I have zero no claims discount so suppose the £112 comp is to be expected for a 62y.............................coger.
Grey import probaly, bought it new 21 years ago, its full road legal with lights etc.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 6:37pm Hi,
Struggled to insure bike as its an import........well what motorcycle isn't, reminds me of the loading a car insurer said......its loaded because its foreign :roll:

Its registered with DVLA but the model number which is the frame number does not appear on the VIN number register so you cant insure via web sites.

Anyway a broker has insured it, 200 cc and an extra £51 for to add commuting :?
I have zero no claims discount so suppose the £112 comp is to be expected for a 62y.............................coger.
Grey import probaly, bought it new 21 years ago, its full road legal with lights etc.
BMW R1200GS 2013 - definitely an import as made in Spandau Berlin. No NCD - they don't do them on motorbikes apparently 98 quid fully comp - policy taken out end of April this year. Other bikes all so called classics, 5 on one policy £151 for the lot fully comp - policy starting 19th July. 900cc, 850cc, 700cc , 350 cc and 200cc.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

You pay the MOT fee up front in NI -- take it to the MOT centre ( not some chaps garage like GB ) then hope the computers there pass it otherwise it's pay for a retest if they let you ride it home.
I am here. Where are you?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Just like to point out the £51 extra for the commuting, I didn't take up so it's £112 fully comp social domestic pleasure only.
What firm are you with?
And are any of your bikes grey / parallel imports?
Insured under a classic bike insurance supposedly.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bennetts for r1200. Footman James for the others. Obviously 2 BMW's are imported. Others 2 Enfield's, Norton and James are British and not imported.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
pete75 wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:53pm Bennetts for r1200. Footman James for the others. Obviously 2 BMW's are imported. Others 2 Enfield's, Norton and James are British and not imported.
If a vehicle is not imported with the manufactures consent then its grey/parallel.
Mine was shipped off the dockside into a pickup :mrgreen:

Anyway MOT tomorrow :) .... :( .... :? ... :cry: ....there are a few borderline digressional...............things that might fly through or wil be mentioned :lol:

Now all I have to do is stop it being pinched........................
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I just need to start the %$£"*& thing :( :evil:
There's the usual complex (well not that compared with today stuff, but is compared with say 30 years ago) ignition cut out circuit with diodes, on the side stand and neutral switch.
I have it sussed now (well I have wiring diagram and understand its methods) and so should be able to fix that.
First trip out it conked out after 200 yrds....................got it going again then..............at least four more times went dead.
I thought fuel but the old fuel is not that old.
Once warm it keeps going.
The day of mot would not start so new plug and cap and checked continuity of coil etc.
But as I coast and it goes dead it will not refire bumping the motor.......so its on the neutral switch circuit (so it cant be started in gear whilst on the side stand).
There is also a non existent clutch switch which allows starting in gear, at the mo if it stops then I cant turn motor out of neutral and in gear.
Two different circuits. Switch was never there from new, and valve lifted cable and lever is not needed as its only electric start, all mounted on the clutch lever assembly.
It appears (switch) on the items list under 93-94 model, but mine is 98 and cant find parts list for that year (made 93-2000)
Anyway I can isolate both circuits and just short the CDI (not cdi I think as its battery powered, I always called CDI ignition, not battery powered, but engine powered by the alternator windings, which are separate from charging etc) IIRC its called CDI on the honda parts list and honda manual.
My old XL185s had a faultless ignition circuit, probably why so many survived and highest numbers were in the road trials back in the eighties and nineties.
I worked on motorcycles for myself professionally for twenty years and some bikes faulted after just one year or so from new, on the ignition circuit.
RD125LC's were the worst of the bunch, no less than five separate coils on the alternator windings.
Self energising ign systems mean with a flat battery you can always get home.

Managed to get to the MOT station.
Mechanic on rolling up says it burning oil!
Well its done 2600 miles from new, and I am not watching behind but yes it smells................
Probably valve stem seals................do that later........checking the piston / bore as well of course.
Bike is 22 years old but has not been stored well :oops:

Roll it into the station and guy says.....................where the frame number?
Bear in mind I have struggled to get insurance as the model was never imported officially.
He attempts to find it on the head stock of frame............rubs off some paint and nothing.
I have a stuck on lable........in Japanese
Must read vin number off the frame........its got a reg plate but that is not accepted at mot station, frame number on the chassis only.

Then he says get a metal lable made up and fix any where on frame?
I say well I could do that with any frame..........no matter thats not there problem only that its readable on the frame.
I have th log book.....................NO got to be on frame.............even it you glue it on.........can I engrave a piece of tin.....yep...........

Got home and got screwdiver and went hunting......sure enough there it is 10mm below where he expected it.
Ring back...."it me with bike with non existent frame number....can you read it......yes..........ok come-on down.

One problem there a "-" where there should be a "E" on the log book :cry:
Thats ok he said thats common.
Fact the headstock in not that flat top to bottom so the stamp did not fully form on the "E".

The MOT finally gets underway.
I am asked to join in sitting on the bike testing the lights checking the aim and stop lights. (headlight aim is done with rider on board.)
I suggest that his mate looks a bit heaver than me :)
He pipe's up and said he's better looking................... :lol:
I have to weight the rear of bike so he can check the headrace.

Apart from the brake tester, alignment of wheels and no loose spokes along with lights and horn, thats the extent of the testing.
He had seen enough to give me a pass.

Minor things that they could of picked up on -
The rims were shot so I had to respoke with replacement ones, front is a tad narrower and rear a tad wider.
Rear tyre is wider.
There a lable on the chain guard stating tyre size.
Clearance between tyre and chain guard is about 4mm, it used to rub when I first fitted a 4 " tyre 20 years ago.
Chain is shot with minimum adjustment left, but sprockets look good.
Headrace is pitted so I had to micro adjust that to give no play and no notching..
Number plate is cut down and there a fault with a solid black line close the the letters on one side (a mistake by the now defunct shop where I used to frequent, I accepted the fault as they were doing the MOT back then.)
Clutch switch is missing but spades are there on handlebar wiring,

From new the snail rear wheel adjusters were never the same to get wheels inline.
When I re-spoked the rear wheel I lined up the sprockets which also needed a spacer on the rear axle which also took up 3mm of slack in swing arm.
Then I moved the rim, adjusting spokes so the wheels lined up and snail adjusters can be identical (no more using a straight edge or getting down on my knees to line up wheels)
The wheel alignment (adjusted rim etc was done on rims no tyre although tyres are pretty true) actually runs in and out as you move snail adjusters equal amounts by a few mm, thats on trail tyres on a trail bike.
Previously when I lined up the wheels the tyre hit the chain guard and the chain rubbed the rear sprocket one side.
Now wheels line up with symmetrical snail adjustment and the sprockets are in line and tyre clears chain guard :)
This was a new bike!

Apart from my one new shaft drive motorcycle, the other new and second hand bikes I have / had plus most of the bikes I have worked on are always some way out!
Getting that right means that on a off road bike the chain will stay on longer as it wears in a all day road trail.

So I am now legal............well I need road tax....so half legal........next month :)
Need a new chain and want to gear down as it will not pull near max power revs on the flat in top gear, and prefer a lower gearing for off road stuff, the 4" rear tyre is tall so that does not help.

Next project is VF400, the 200 trail bike is like a shopper and the VF is more a racer on dope and goes twice as quick :P

P.S.- O ring or standard chain?
On DID's web site they say IIRC that O ring chains clog up with mud so better with standard on Mot X bikes...............Price too....
Attachments
2930525-01.jpg
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Nice one Mr N.A.

MOT = On the way to motorbike MOT test I pull up at the traffic lights and notice headlight reflection shining in the back of a van.
Man at MOT informs me that the headlight isn't working. :?
Yes bulb had blown :x - no problem - nice MOT man fitted new bulb for free. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 12:00pm Hi,
pete75 wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:53pm Bennetts for r1200. Footman James for the others. Obviously 2 BMW's are imported. Others 2 Enfield's, Norton and James are British and not imported.
If a vehicle is not imported with the manufactures consent then its grey/parallel.
Mine was shipped off the dockside into a pickup :mrgreen:

Anyway MOT tomorrow :) .... :( .... :? ... :cry: ....there are a few borderline digressional...............things that might fly through or wil be mentioned :lol:

Now all I have to do is stop it being pinched........................
I've no idea if mine were imported with or without the manufacturer's consent.
Didn't know there was anything in international trade law that requires the manufacturer to give consent for a vehicle to be imported to a particular country. If any consent is needed it will come from the receiving country's laws regarding imports.

Only one of my bikes, the R1200GS, needs an MOT. The rest are exempt and also get free road tax. Never had a car driver shout 'You don't pay road tax' when I've been out on one though.
NATURAL ANKLING

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

cycleruk wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 8:27pm Nice one Mr N.A.

MOT = On the way to motorbike MOT test I pull up at the traffic lights and notice headlight reflection shining in the back of a van.
Man at MOT informs me that the headlight isn't working. :?
Yes bulb had blown :x - no problem - nice MOT man fitted new bulb for free. :)
That would just be an instant fail here in ni no nice garage man just ' computer says no!'
I am here. Where are you?