MOT Motorcycle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: MOT Motorcycle

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I'm not sure but I think bulbs are not failure they just change them.
A bit like cars with wiper blades and bulbs they just change the blades or change the bulbs?
Headlight aim would be the same?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 12:25pm Hi,
I'm not sure but I think bulbs are not failure they just change them.
A bit like cars with wiper blades and bulbs they just change the blades or change the bulbs?
Headlight aim would be the same?
:lol: I wish -- that would have saved me quite a few retest fees over a lifetime of MOT's -- you don't go to a garage to get your MOT done here. It's a government run center like an aircraft hanger style building with offices attached to process MOT's cars / lorries / motorbikes etc go in one end and about half an hour later come out the other side either with a pass or a failure sheet. You drive home if you have no major defects book a retest -- fix whatever is on the form ( be it only a sidelamp ) and take it back down on the retest date, which could be 6 weeks away. Meantime you've no car van etc. Failing an MOT here is not good. An odd time a kind test technician will give you a pass if is something minor like a sidelamp and tell you to get it fixed pronto --- they certainly won't fix it for you -- it's an exam for your car -- it's pass or fail -- NO FIXY!
I am here. Where are you?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I might of imagined it but at one time a bulb or wiper failure, could be sorted as part of the mot by the garage that were doing mot?
England of course, not NI! :P
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 12:31am I might of imagined it but at one time a bulb or wiper failure, could be sorted as part of the mot by the garage that were doing mot?
England of course, not NI!
You or the garage can check before the test. Then they test "as presented" and record the outcome. If a minor fault is found and can be fixed while the car is still on site they might not charge for the retest.

NB Changing some lamps on some cars is no longer a trivial task.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Tell me about it!
My arms aren't that big but the last time I changed one of the bulbs I had scratches all the way up and down my arms because I couldn't get my arm in to access the bulb.
Just lately I couldn't figure out how to get the bulb out of the sidelight and ended up taking half the thing apart And the result was breaking two of the tabs holding on the front headlight :oops:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 11:15am Hi,
Tell me about it!
My arms aren't that big but the last time I changed one of the bulbs I had scratches all the way up and down my arms because I couldn't get my arm in to access the bulb.
Just lately I couldn't figure out how to get the bulb out of the sidelight and ended up taking half the thing apart And the result was breaking two of the tabs holding on the front headlight :oops:
Our old Peugeot 3008 needed a new headlight. Book says to remove wheel and inner wing for access.
Not only that but new bulb = £19.00. :shock:
Managed to do it from inside the engine bay and it was a real struggle. :x (swear words removed. :mrgreen: )
The other side just required to remove the battery for access but still a struggle.
In France, home of Peugeot, the law required you to carry spare bulbs. Lot of good that would be in the middle of the night. :roll: :wink:
Sorry for the post drift.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I've been failed for number plate figures 9mm too small ( in height -- width OK ! )

They were like that for the previous 8 MOT's but the rules had changed that year

--- there are 4 or 5 lanes ( depending on centre there's not that many so you could travel 50 miles to get one with a slot you can get booked into done online or by phone) into the MOT centre where you queue up to be tested.

You're supposed to turn up 10min early but this time I was there 20min early. A test guy from one of the other lanes opened his roller door looked out to find no one in his lane to be tested and saw my car -- took mine in his lane and failed it straight away but put it through the rest of the tests

( there's high tech rolling roads measuring braking and suspension performance which has to pass preset criteria for each individual car make/model.)

All recorded on computers. The test technician has no say in the outcome apart from his own visual inspection of the underside of the car + condition of tyres, boots, joints, brake pipes etc ( the joints inspection is assisted by a remote control plates and Jacks )
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
It doesn't get any better than this :(
9435BDD8-0426-40FB-9482-09E79D333A5C.jpeg
No chance to get a new barrel, as the corrosion is quite deep, I can only imagine a chemical reaction here!
Repairing the barrel will be nearly as expensive.
This is a Japanese import and I can find very little information online.
Burning oil so hence the taking apart.
Looks like I can get it sleeved or the sleeve can be removed, I've done this before years ago, on a lathe and then replace the liners back into the barrel (Big bore kit)
But a new piston rings and circlips Just add to the cost.

The XLR 200 R, unlike the XL185 and XL 200, XR 200, is not a bored out XL185, Like other 200s.
I have an XR200 and a 200 bored out 185.
XL125K XL125R Et cetera et cetera.
Pouring over my manuals and parts books I see that the XLR200R gets his capacity by stroking instead of big bore.
XL185 (180) 63 mm bore, XR200 (195) 65.5 mm bore.
XLR200R Uses a piston of 63.5 mm as standard.
So a XL185 +0.5 mm piston would probably be the same.
The gudgeon pins are the same size.
I will have a look at a 185 next week and compare the piston to my 200.
Getting an XL185+.5 piston might be cheaper from bankrupt stock than a new Japanese market 200.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bit of work ahead of you there NA
rjb

Post by rjb »

Bit of a boring topic this are you pissed and broke. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_West_England

"Weymouth and Portland has the highest council tax in England. West Somerset has the lowest average full-time pay at £287; West Somerset is also the district where poor children do much worse than wealthier children at school, with some of the worst differences in the Weymouth and Portland has the highest council tax in England. West Somerset has the lowest average full-time pay at £287; West Somerset is also the district where poor children do much worse than wealthier children at school, with some of the worst differences in the UK
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
rjb I might well of misunderstood your last post?

Add the probable £200 for a new sleeve, plus p&p both ways.
Genuine honda parts are excruciatingly expensive :(
2021-12-12_202453.jpg
I can get after market piston kit for £39 free delivery.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 12:49pm NA
Have you you tried this chap for honda spares?
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/255069/

Edit; a couple more:-
http://www.johnoldfield.co.uk/
https://www.classicbikepartscheshire.com/honda-m63
Thanks R2.
I know of dave silver but as yet not used or contacted him. Been looking on his site over weekend for my other bike projects to.

I will contact him today for XLR200R piston.......long shot as its a grey import but I feel sure its used on other long stroke 200's, even if the part number is different, will have a dig into my M/C bike Aladdin's cave for a few 200,s that I have which are 195 xl 185 based 63 mm pistons to see if the dims are the same.

Three options-
Deep pocket for OEM stuff (oh how I hate aftermarket stuff that is of poor fit and quality, many years in the bike fixing trade).
Bankrupt stock / possible XL 185 over sized piston.
After market piston (which at the moment is XL 185 based, yet to determine)

The labour is nothing to me but I see £350 in parts including the liner.
Stupid as I have free cash at the moment but can you fix 20 + 30 + and 40 year old motor vehicles easily without OEM parts / a machine shop.
You just have to trust to luck custom machinist's and or hard to find used / aftermarket parts :x

On aftermarket parts.
I bought some brake discs for the camper truck and one had severe lateral runout, just £25 posted NEW!, oem not available / impossible to source. Machining to correct was £30....................
The car hard to find aftermarket even discs........OEM would probably be £ 500 - 800 a set, I plumed for Bosch and they were a perfect fit, IIRC £250 for four discs and quality pads.
Both the car and camper are a bit of lemons, they both have either and both, factory fitted uprated brakes and suspension.
Makes buying parts very troublesome.

Add two motorcycles that both have just two registered owners in the country.........................the joy of obscure fancy motors :)
There's plenty of so called antique motorcycles and parts listed on ebay, makes my little store seem like I own a gold mine.
Born again bikers who want to relive there youth.....and me of course :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've been sorely tempted by a classic Honda CX500 but I prefer riding them to spending too much time fettling and repairing them.So I bit the bullet and bought modern,a 2020 Honda CB500X for the summer and a 2010 Honda NT700V Deaville for the winter months as it's fully faired with a shaft drive.
I'm liking both bikes :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden