Parrot Food

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Parrot Food

Post by Mick F »

Fan?
Good idea.

As for the "parrot sketch" it was a macaw.
Yes, a parrot like a budgie is a parrot. Parrot family is a big one and all dinosaurs. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parrots
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 4:02pm Yes, a parrot like a budgie is a parrot. Parrot family is a big one and all dinosaurs. :D
The dinosaur of parrot stories:

Then there was the bloke from Yorkshire who used to pass a pet-shop on his way home every day. One day he's passing as usual and a voice says:

"Ah knows thee".

He looks round: nobody there.

Next day, and the next: "Ah knows thee". But when he looks round today there's a parrot on a perch in the doorway (must've been that hot summer of 1959). The parrot cocks his head, looks at him and says "Ah knows thee".

This is great, thinks the bloke. I've got to have that parrot. So he goes in and asks the owner what he wants for it. The owner tells him that sorry, he loves the parrot and won't part with it.

"But his mum just laid another clutch of eggs and I'll sell you one for ten bob."

"Yerron," says the bloke, and hands over his half-a-knicker.

A couple of months later he's going past the shop again, and a voice says "Ah knows thee".

"Aye," says the bloke, "and Ah knows thee. Tha mother were a duck."
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

How about a vacuum cleaner in conjunction with a cyclonic separator? Either a DIY version or available quite cheaply from the likes of Amazon et al. You may be able to adjust the airflow so as to mostly collect whole seeds.

Another alternative if you have access to compressed air is a DIY fluidising bed. The whole seeds should sink to the bottom of the column and the chaff could be decanted from the top.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A winnowing machine:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1046127 ... 1046127387

Don't read the shop reviews
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

A few years ago a friend of a friend had a parrot, and apparently its favourite food were Rose-hips; well, the seeds inside them.

There were quite a few bushes around our village, so we used to pick them and pass a bag-full over from time to time.

Last week we revisited our local reservoir and the grounds were full of dog-roses with an abundance of rose-hips, which brought back memories.

I was just wondering if there were (m)any available around you Mick, and your beloved feathered friend might like a change of diet?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks muchly guys! :D

I like the idea of an electrical winnower, but how much? :shock:
Yes, the reviews seem to be about a completely different product. :lol:

"Ah knows thee" ............... excellent! :lol:

Sorry, my post is full of emojis. :wink:

The leaf blower on tickover seems to work, so we'll stick with it.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

The country is going bananas over sunflower plants this year. We see fields of them local to us. Almost every other house has them growing in their gardens. They have even sprouted up in the hedgerows and at the side of the road. We picked some freebie plants up in the spring but they are a giant variety if height is anything to go by. Plenty around to feed your Parrot. :D
IMG_20210902_112636~2.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
sjs

Post by sjs »

rjb wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 11:30am The country is going bananas over sunflower plants this year. We see fields of them local to us. Almost every other house has them growing in their gardens. They have even sprouted up in the hedgerows and at the side of the road. We picked some freebie plants up in the spring but they are a giant variety if height is anything to go by. Plenty around to feed your Parrot. :D
IMG_20210902_112636~2.jpg
We have some plants in our garden as a result of Wilkos sunflower hearts being scattered accidentally as a by-product of bird feeding.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, I used to be a parrot, but I'm better now, I used to be a parrot, but I'm better now, I used to be a parrot, but I'm better now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not a Norwegian Grey! MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Update to all this.
We bagged the husk/seed mixture and given it to a friend for her chickens. Yet to hear how they got on with it, but chickens aren't as fussy as our parrot! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

On a recent trip South we stopped off at Hopwood services on the M42 and there was a couple walking around with a parrot!
It was on a perch that looked like it was connected to a rucksack.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it's a parrot, but specifically a macaw.
Budgies are parrots too as well as Cockatoos. Large family of parrots, hundreds of them.

Ours is an African Grey Parrot, 40years old perhaps.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

We gave our WAG a sunflower head once. He was scared to death of it and squawked until we took it away.

Latest thing he's going bonkers for is dried apple rings. Calls them cherries, but then walnuts are cherries, cherries are cherries, and so are the centre tubes of spent kitchen-rolls that we give him to tear apart.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Hellhound wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 12:00pm On a recent trip South we stopped off at Hopwood services on the M42 and there was a couple walking around with a parrot!
It was on a perch that looked like it was connected to a rucksack.
We returned home after a trip away to see that a roofer who had been doing work on a rooflight in our absence (very badly, as it turned out, but that's another story) had brought his Harris Hawk with him, and there she sat in the middle of the lawn on her travelling stump-perch-thing all week, much to the upset of the local birds who were used to being fed in the garden.