How does track and trace work out isolation days?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

How does track and trace work out isolation days?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm just curious. Once you've had a close contact with someone who later p tested positive for COVID you have to isolate for 10 days. From what I've heard that's from contact. However from people I can know they seem to add a day on before counting in some cases but not others. My contact read Tuesday this week so Friday next week mates it my full ten days. Track and trace day Saturday next is my last day of isolation.

I just wonder because I know exactly when my contact ended, 11:48am Tuesday when a contractor left my place of employment. It's recorded in a visitor book. Not important but why add a day in some cases but not in others? The guy in the 119 number I called said that they do that sometimes but not always. He didn't know why.

PS one day makes little difference to me despite that extra day of isolation being the travel day on our two week holiday? We'll just call the site and explain why we're going to be delayed getting there and ask them to still keep our plot. It's all paid for by anyway. It's just a little annoying and doesn't make sense to me. I am probably missing something about their decision on the dates.

PPS I am certain I do not have it BTW. Contact didn't quite meet the close contact criteria, I'd have to be very unlucky to get it? I was in a well ventilated room with the guy facing away from me, I was 2m away and not in the room for more than 5 minutes a time. He was there's 45 minutes, I was not. Plus it was 4 days between positive test and contact. Indeed symptoms were 3 to 4 days after contact. As I said unlucky to get it but still right to isolate. Just prefer officialdom to get the timeline right or at least be consistent?

PPPS I have no intention of breaking their isolation timeline. I'll be a day late on holiday even though that's technically wrong.
Jdsk

Re: How does track and trace work out isolation days?

Post by Jdsk »

"Your self-isolation period includes the day you were last in contact with the person who tested positive and the next 10 full days."
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... id-19-app/

Jonathan

PS: But boundary conditions on algorithms have led to many problems in many domains...
rjb

Post by rjb »

It's an advantage to live in a mobile notspot . I don't even have a mobile as it would be as useful as a chocolate teapot around here. :x
How does track and trace work in these circumstances. The industry I worked in prior to retirement even banned mobile phones from the site. We were obliged to turn them off before entering the site or preferably leave them at home.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I went to the site gas landed from Morecambe bay. Mobiles off and only diesel vehicles allowed on site. I can guess why.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 1:33pm It's an advantage to live in a mobile notspot . I don't even have a mobile as it would be as useful as a chocolate teapot around here.
How does track and trace work in these circumstances. The industry I worked in prior to retirement even banned mobile phones from the site. We were obliged to turn them off before entering the site or preferably leave them at home.
Does the NHS contact app require network coverage? I don't know, but I can't see why it would be essential at the point of proximity, only at some time after that in order to talk to the central system.

And the app is only part of the Test, Trace, Isolate system.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

the app is only part of the Test, Trace, Isolate system.
Is there a flow chart for this system? I ask because I'm confused about it.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It uses Bluetooth for contact recording. Mobile service is used to contact head office. It probably doesn't need a long contact for reporting in neither.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 3:18pm
the app is only part of the Test, Trace, Isolate system.
Is there a flow chart for this system? I ask because I'm confused about it.
For the app-related processes? Or the whole programme?

Jonathan

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-an ... race-works
https://www.health.org.uk/publications/ ... ney-so-far NB date.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The bit that I quoted lead me to believe there was a "system" and I was wondering if this system had been reduced to a chart. It's hard to see it as a system if it cannot be.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I suspect that one thing that might make the number of days seem confusing is delays in testing. My brother was pinged and told "5 days" which seemed weird except from his relatively isolated lifestyle he could work out the only event it could have come from so they all chatted and it seems that the positive individual's PCR test took 5 days to be processed and reported through the system. So that individual could have been wandering around for quite a few days spreading it (I don't know if they were symptomatic or tested for some other reason).

Seems a system still not working well.

Ian